SW Michigan - Berrien County

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

SW Michigan - Berrien County

Postby Up North Swamp Thang » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:24 am

I am a serious waterfowler residing in Emmet county and am heading down to Berrien County for the south zone opener this weekend... Wanted to hit all three openers this year!

Any way, I am just wondering what the bird report is in that part of the state as I have never hunted anywhere south of M-20 except Shiawasse and Lake Erie. My hunting partner is an avid hunter but this is only his second year chasing waterfowl. He hunted with me last year in the north zone. We will be hunting ponds on private farm land literally right at the Indiana border...

Am I in for a good shoot? Is anyone down there seeing birds?

Any info would be great! I am not looking for any leads on where to hunt, just if anyone in that area has been seeing any ducks around!
Up North Swamp Thang
hunter

Re: SW Michigan - Berrien County

Postby Michigan Quacker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Lots of geese but very little water and ducks. A lot of the local farm ponds and swamps are not much more then mud holes now. We need a lot of rain but there is nothing in the forecast it maybe Sunday.
Michigan Quacker
Newb

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Michigan Quacker wrote:Lots of geese but very little water and ducks. A lot of the local farm ponds and swamps are not much more then mud holes now. We need a lot of rain but there is nothing in the forecast it maybe Sunday.

^^This is pretty accurate, we are still suffering from the drought last summer and a pathetic snow melt.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:51 pm

One of the ponds I normally hunt down towards the IN border is nothing more than a dried mudhole this year. :no:
FinnLandR
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting