US Army Corps lake blind restriction??

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

US Army Corps lake blind restriction??

Postby wheaton_iceman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:25 am

I am looking through some past threads and did not have luck with a search about what is permissible when building temporary blinds.

I know that you can't put any nails or attach wood/metal to trees or brush. You obviously can't bait ducks or plant grains/foods on the lake shoreline or do large brush clearing. I am one of the handful that get the separate corps permit to hunt 2-3 specific lakes not covered by the APHL type 2 permit. I will be checking those guidelines as well.

How about digging shallow pits to layout blinds or to put your chairs/stools into?

Also, it is a great thing that some of you do a trash and clean-up days on your lakes and marshes. Those days I take my work lunch break at the lake, I try to take a garage bag and police the areas.
wheaton_iceman
hunter

Re: US Army Corps lake blind restriction??

Postby LTMFH » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 am

You CAN plant grains/foods on the lake shoreline. A temporary blind is one built for A HUNT and removed after said hunt.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:56 pm

This is from my past experience so take it how you want. I have hunted corp lakes and hunted some regularly for a few seasons before I locked down some land but none required a permit. The only people I ran into from the corps are employees cruising around in white trucks checking to make sure the trash cans were empty and no issues were going on. I have however been stopped by the Game Wardens but it doesn't seem they care to much about the corp rules because I was hunting out of a makeshift blind someone had built with tree branches that had been obviously cut with a saw.

I've actually gone into the TPWD office with a map of the lake I was hunting that had colored outlines on hunting areas from the corp office and asked if I was allowed to hunt any part of the lake even if it wasn't by designated areas since I had witnessed people doing so from boats. They said they didn't care where you hunted as long as you followed the distance laws from the public parks and weren't shooting next to someones house.

Now I wouldn't go out and build a permanent blind if you're not allowed to because you'll be wasting your money and will soon find someone in it but I've never had an issue with cut branches, pulled up reeds, and other things but it probably is wise to make it as temporary as possible so people won't find your spot. If I'm scouting and I see shells littering the shore line and makeshift blinds I know there are birds.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Don't build a blind on my lake, I'll burn it down.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Crazy Matt wrote:Don't build a blind on my lake, I'll burn it down.

I hunt from your balcony
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:

I hunt from your balcony

So many deer.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 am

Crazy Matt wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:

I hunt from your balcony

So many deer.

Took a nice 8 point with my bow last weekend.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Return to Texas Duck Hunting