Howard Eaton Reservoir/ Bulls dam NW pa??????

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Howard Eaton Reservoir/ Bulls dam NW pa??????

Postby clymerfowler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 pm

has anyone hunted here. looking for a new place to water hunt. is there special season dates since it is in ny and pa?
Pigeons-231
Geese- 87
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Howard Eaton Reservoir/ Bulls dam NW pa??????

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:14 pm

I have hunted and fished it my entire life. Grew up riding our bikes to it almost every weekend and school break day in to fish and shot my first duck off it. A merg but still a good memory. The ducks and geese simply do not seem to decoy well up there and you will have a TON of other boaters and fishermen on the water until it freezes. 90% of the water fowl that roost or hold over usually sit dead in the middle and avoid the shore like it has the plague due to guys skybusting and pass-skybusting from the opener of early goose too. It can be ok, but is generally a wash unless you get there on a day when just nobody is there. I used to paddle a well camo'd kayak and would just snug up against the willows and bank brush but it got to be so frustrating dealing with all the other fishermen and what not it wasn't funny.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm

i was planning on hunting thrusday and friday mornings. i dont have anywhere in pa to duck hunt so i thought it might be a try.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 87
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Good luck, but I am willing to bet there will be more people up there than birds... :sad:
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Try the north cove (west outer edge) or the back water spillway just before the wooded hill side on the north side of the reservoir. Those two spots will be about the ONLY places you'll have a chance at shootable birds. Believe me...I quite literally grew up on that thing. Shot my first buck by the sugar shack, my first flintlock doe on the north side island and every crappie taken out of it is likely a decendant of the buckets upon buckets fish we put in it over 20 years ago.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:25 am

i guess ill just try and find somewhere else to hunt then.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 87
clymerfowler
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting