Raffia for the coffin box...where buy cheap?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 pm

The post about the coffin box at the bottom of this page shows some good raffia cover.
Does anybody know where do you find this stuff?

Thanks in advance

-Frodo
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Re: Raffia for the coffin box...where buy cheap?

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I buy all of mine at Hobby Lobby for 5 bucks a pound with their coupon and dye it myself to whatever color I need. We've done probably 500 individual bundles so far in grass green, corn, brown and neutral tan.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 pm

use that google machine and shop for the best price? :sniper:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Ressurecting this thread since I the search option isn't really honing in on what my question is and I don't feel like starting a new one. Do you fellas who have bought raffia feel like this might actually be a more cost effective option of raffia compared to buying the bundles ? Its 3 ft tall by 9 ft long and is only $20. Also it has a tie at the top which could make for east on/off applications. Im trying to grass in my 14ft kayak so that I can blend into marsh grass surroundings. With bundles going for $2 each, this is at least as cost effective. Im not sure if this is synthetic, however. Any insight from those who have bought before would be appreciated.

http://www.discountpartysupplies.com/ra ... 7Aod824AhQ
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby wraithen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm

No. Its not going to be enough to do what you really want. Buy a 20 lb box and be done with it. Get the die from hobby lobby or joanns and have fun.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:43 am

Would you bother with fast grass or is it just not worth it ? I feel for the same prices as 20lbs of raffia I can get the Avery grass matts that can be cut. The raffia is probably easier to apply and get it the way you want so it really comes down to durability. Which one do you guys think will last longer on a kayak that I am going in and out of and planning to hunt at least 20 times this fall ?
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby wraithen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm

I dont have experience with the avery stuff but raffia is pretty tough. Id think it was plastic fibers if I dodnt know any better. You can buy a 12 oz bag at a hobby store if you want to phisically compare. The way you attach the grass is also important. Zip ties are quick but tying on is more durable.
wraithen
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 pm

I know there are forum topics on this that I will check out, but since we are bouncing ideas off of each other; do you back your raffia to the plastic gardeners fencing or do you use camp netting ? I have a camo netting that I want to use, would this work well ?
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby wraithen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Im just ziptying it and using it as is. Im using 5 different colors mixed together. If just augmenting a camo net less grass would be used. Far less. I would just attach ot to the camo netting so it all kind of works together. Simple beats complex any day all day.
wraithen
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Good question, BootsUp. I am still debating to use the green fencing or camo netting. I am leaning more towards the green fencing for lighter weight. The way my boat is set up, I just need to roll out the fencing/raffia when I get to my spot.

If anyone is wondering, to order raffia direct from J Stern there is a 25lb minimum. I just ordered 25lbs and it cost me $144 to my door. I mostly bought colors, which is about a dollar higher per pound.
Last edited by BKScripto on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks for the price update, I was wondering about how they would price for the bulk buyer. Raffia has got to be lighter (for the amount of coverage you get) than the RealGrass, but the real grass is much less expensive. ( you get 4 4x4 sheets for around $50..http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100386). It's kind of a pain to work with and as I have said, its heavy. When you paddle, every pound counts. Tough choices.
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I've used that real grass stuff and it's a real pain in the rear. It's stiff as heck and hard to work with. The raffia is worth the extra money to me, plus that grass mat stuff doesn't last as long.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 am

http://jstern.com/

this is where EVERYONE, cabelas, avery, hobby lobby etc gets their Rafia... you have to buy in bulk. 25lb min. 2lb hanks, can mix and match colors. $4.80/hank pre dyed. I was quoted $150/25bs with shipping. get a buddy and split it up, will be way cheaper than a retailers charging you retail. For instance Cabelas "praire grass" $19.99/2lbs!!!! AND THAT IS ON SALE!

jstern 26lbs $150
Cabelas $199.99 plus shipping and that is a sale price normally $299.99. this is the 5lbs hank pricing not the 2lb. 2lb is $259 on sale and $389.87 normally for like quantity.

So if you buy cabelas in the 5lbs hanks it comes close but you don't get to select which colors you actually want and it will cost you almost $80 more for shipping

for reference 25lbs will completely smother an 18ft boat blind.
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:49 am

So, any of you fellas out there need some raffia ? I don't need 25lbs , willing to split the cost haha
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby wraithen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 am

Craft connection let me buy 10 lbs for almost at cost for them. Check them out. And the scarlet rit die is bright bright red. Dont let the bottle fool ya. The dark brown has a weird bluish or purplish tint to it. If using a 5 gal bucket to dye then dont dye more than 1 lb at a time.
wraithen
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum