St. Croix?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

St. Croix?

Postby Pigeonator35 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 am

I live fairly close to the St. Croix river and I'm curious as to how people do out there and what the crowds are like. I went out there scouting before opener and the water was just so dang low I had problems getting around. I saw like 15 gesse and a merganser and figured I'd be better off at my other spot. But now that we have got some rain and water looks up some what I wanna hear if people have killed some ducks out there this year.
Pigeonator35
hunter

Re: St. Croix?

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 am

Shot a 3 man limit of geese out there on Sunday.

And 6 mallards.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 am

I usually see quite a few ducks working the shoreline of the river by first week in November.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby steamduck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Anyone willing to share where about on the croix? I have hunted just north of Stillwate City limits and have done ok.
steamduck
hunter

Postby girard » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:45 pm

i would love to get a couple of guys together and make a trip out on the river, i have a boat i could bring.
girard
hunter

Postby Pigeonator35 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Sounds like ill get some shooting and see some birds which keeps the blood flowing. I'm rushing to get the boat blind done for next week looks like good weather moving in and my seasonal job ends this week so ill have time to hunt in the morning and job search during the day for natural resource positions.
Pigeonator35
hunter

Postby chrisss » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Can you hunt on the st. Croix? I have always wondered but never looked in to it. Also is there a certain area or what
chrisss
hunter

Postby Pigeonator35 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 am

St. Croix.

First, you can only hunt in MN’s territorial waters under your resident license. That means, for most parts of the river, it is mid channel and west. Some islands are in WI and some are in MN. For you to hunt an island, you would need to know what state it is in.

If you wanted to hunt both sides of the river, you would need to possess all licenses needed for both states. The Federal Duck Stamp is the only one that works for both states. So you would need a resident small game, MN state duck stamp and HIP certification from MN. Then, a non-resident small game, WI state duck stamp (if there is one) and HIP certification for WI and one Federal duck stamp for both states.

Second issue is to duck hunt from water, you need to partially conceal you and your boat with natural vegetation. This is sometimes hard to find on the main part of the river and is best in back waters. Most of St. Croix is too large to float down and shoot. You are allowed to do this on rivers under 100 yards wide.

Third issue is with the government shutdown, technically all National Park Service boat launches are closed. I am not sure if they are enforcing this or not. The NPS park rangers are on duty still but only as essential employees.

Last issues is hunting from land. You can hunt from land on the St. Croix river since most of it is NPS land. All state parks would be off limits to hunting from land. The issue again comes up that the National Park is closed, so technically you are not allowed to hunt from NPS land either.

Pigeonator- this is what the DNR sent me about hunting the river
Pigeonator35
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:49 am

I'd be in. But I'd rather wait until after the shutdown. When it gets cold and most of the shallow lakes have frozen over I'd think it would be really good. But that's usually the last couple weeks of the season.
kbooger
hunter

Postby chrisss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 am

Pigeonator35 wrote:St. Croix.

First, you can only hunt in MN’s territorial waters under your resident license. That means, for most parts of the river, it is mid channel and west. Some islands are in WI and some are in MN. For you to hunt an island, you would need to know what state it is in.

If you wanted to hunt both sides of the river, you would need to possess all licenses needed for both states. The Federal Duck Stamp is the only one that works for both states. So you would need a resident small game, MN state duck stamp and HIP certification from MN. Then, a non-resident small game, WI state duck stamp (if there is one) and HIP certification for WI and one Federal duck stamp for both states.

Second issue is to duck hunt from water, you need to partially conceal you and your boat with natural vegetation. This is sometimes hard to find on the main part of the river and is best in back waters. Most of St. Croix is too large to float down and shoot. You are allowed to do this on rivers under 100 yards wide.

Third issue is with the government shutdown, technically all National Park Service boat launches are closed. I am not sure if they are enforcing this or not. The NPS park rangers are on duty still but only as essential employees.

Last issues is hunting from land. You can hunt from land on the St. Croix river since most of it is NPS land. All state parks would be off limits to hunting from land. The issue again comes up that the National Park is closed, so technically you are not allowed to hunt from NPS land either.

Pigeonator- this is what the DNR sent me about hunting the river

Is there a map of legal areas to hunt in the st. Croix? I would call the dnr buy aren't they closed?
chrisss
hunter

Postby Pigeonator35 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 am

Just hunt the west half of the river to be safe is what I'd say, or get both licenses if it is worth it to you. I already have my wisconsin small game so I might as well get the state stamp for like $7
Pigeonator35
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 am

The DNR is open. They are state run, not fed

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:38 pm

I had heard there was a check point near the High Bridge north of Stillwater for invasive species. Is that true?
firefighter4231
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting