Decoy Recommendation

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Decoy Recommendation

Postby gjw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 am

Hi all, well been looking at my spread this year and noticed that most of my blocks are tired and worn out. Just plain getting old. So I thought I'd treat myself to some new ones.

What I'm looking for is a decoy that is realistic/lifelike, durable to banging around and one that the paint will wear well and not chip or fade with normal use. Looking at plastic type not cork.

So.......what brand/decoys do you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Greg
gjw
hunter

Re: Decoy Recommendation

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Dakota Decoy Mallard Floaters fit that description perfectly. You better really feel like "treating" yourself though because they are around 15 bucks a single.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:27 pm

BurnettGunner wrote:Dakota Decoy Mallard Floaters fit that description perfectly. You better really feel like "treating" yourself though because they are around 15 bucks a single.

X2 They are a little expensive but they will last. As far as lifelike, G&H make a great durable decoy as well but they don't look extremely lifelike. But, they work as well as any other decoy on the market.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 pm

I personally don't like the look of Dakotas but they so hold up. They now are in a softer plastic so should be even better than before. I'm trying some avians this season but won't know how good they hold up until they get some use.

As stated prior g&h are great blocks. I own a pile of them. They will hold up and they stand by there product. They are not the most lifelike but they kill ducks plain and simple.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:14 am

x3 Dakotas.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 pm

koonce727 wrote:I personally don't like the look of Dakotas but they so hold up. They now are in a softer plastic so should be even better than before. I'm trying some avians this season but won't know how good they hold up until they get some use.

As stated prior g&h are great blocks. I own a pile of them. They will hold up and they stand by there product. They are not the most lifelike but they kill ducks plain and simple.

you may not like the look of the Dakota's but if you've ever watched ducks in the wild they look pretty damn real.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 pm

here are some dakota flocked heads after 3 seasons.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:46 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
koonce727 wrote:I personally don't like the look of Dakotas but they so hold up. They now are in a softer plastic so should be even better than before. I'm trying some avians this season but won't know how good they hold up until they get some use.

you may not like the look of the Dakota's but if you've ever watched ducks in the wild they look pretty damn real.

If I want ultra-realistic Ill run my body language deeks.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 am

woodduck31 wrote:here are some dakota flocked heads after 3 seasons.

Wow, you must use them hard. But, you still got 2.5 more seasons than my GHG. They looked worse than that half way through.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am

I'll buy them off you! $50.

I have had mine for three season and they are left out for the season in the water. Still look new. Nothing like yours.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 am

I like Avian X. Only had them for one season but their holdin up pretty good.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Three seasons and they are left out during the season.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381429536.360605.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381429546.720585.jpg
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Most of my three season Dakotas are much more like KK's than WD's. One has faded much like WD's, but I'll just pop a painted head on it and hunt on. And when all the flocked heads are eventually boogered, I'll probably stick with all painted heads - but Dakota sells replacement flocked heads pretty durn cheap for those feel they're important.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:15 pm

gjw wrote:What I'm looking for is a decoy that is realistic/lifelike, durable to banging around and one that the paint will wear well and not chip or fade with normal use.

Aren't we all?

Sorry but the decoy isn't made so far, that is realistic AND has durable paint.
You will have to prioritize your requirements.

If you want durable above all else, get G&H.

If you want realism above all else, get GHG ProGrades or Avian-X. (the durability on these two are fair) I'm on my second season on the Avian-X and they are holding up well so far....we'll see what they look like at the end of the 2015 season.

Take a look at the Dead Ringer decoys. I saw some the other day and they look like a very nice decoy that should be durable, too.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:26 pm

mudpack wrote:
gjw wrote:If you want durable above all else, get G&H.

If you want realism above all else, get GHG ProGrades or Avian-X. (the durability on these two are fair) I'm on my second season on the Avian-X and they are holding up well so far....we'll see what they look like at the end of the 2015 season.

Take a look at the Dead Ringer decoys. I saw some the other day and they look like a very nice decoy that should be durable, too.

The Avian-X look pretty slick. The Cherokee Sports Dead Ringers are over priced. $210 a dozen! Yikes. I never seen them in person though. I would think money could be well spent somewhere else.

This past weekend I hunted over 30-50 year old decoys. It opened my perspective about decoys and quality. Some were the crappiest looking decoys I ever seen. Some home repaints that were about 6/10 on quality paint job. One Hen was pure white and damaged all over. One decoy was shot up and sunk with only the head out of the water. The place I hunted keeps the out season long. I am telling you these were the garage sale decoys no one wanted! Birds worked and committed every time. Three mornings thirteen ducks and two geese. It makes you think a little bit more about our obsession over decoys. At least for me it did.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:32 pm

If cost is a concern, but weight not so much, check out Higdon decoys. Foam filled and durable.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 pm

I leave a few Hot Buys out on the pond behind my house and they look fine. Only problem I have is I always forget about em and have to chip them out of 3-4" ice.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:42 am

KillerKowalski wrote:[This past weekend I hunted over 30-50 year old decoys. It opened my perspective about decoys and quality. Some were the crappiest looking decoys I ever seen. Some home repaints that were about 6/10 on quality paint job. One Hen was pure white and damaged all over. One decoy was shot up and sunk with only the head out of the water. The place I hunted keeps the out season long. I am telling you these were the garage sale decoys no one wanted! Birds worked and committed every time. Three mornings thirteen ducks and two geese. It makes you think a little bit more about our obsession over decoys. At least for me it did.

It happens; the most horrific-looking decoys imaginable....and guys kill birds over them! There are conditions where birds will come in regardless of....or in spite of....the appearance of the decoys. Usually in the early season. I've seen it, too.

Where I believe the realistic decoys pay their way is when you are late in the season, when birds are "educated". There are times in late December and January where I may have a chance at only two or three flocks all day. You've had 'em, too; flocks of 50 or 75 birds that circle and circle and circle, about 45 yards out, looking over the spread with 100 or 150 different eyeballs. These birds won't commit unless everything is darn near perfect; the calling, the hiding, the camo, the decoy spread.
Those are the times that I buy ProGrades and Avian-X for.
The rest of the year, they just look really good. :yes:

Ordered some more ProGrades from Mack's this morning. Gonna' be a good season.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:12 am

Good perspective! I didn't think of it like that.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 am

Any of the GHG decoys are good, but I prefer the Cabelas Northern Flight Decoys. Great buy! They are durable and realistic.
I am not actually a conservation officer...
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Postby Cul D' Canard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:49 am

If weight is an issue, go with G&H—durable and realistic enough from a duck's POV. If weight is not an issue, look into foam bodies.
Simple truths are the hardest to come by.
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Foam filled weigh a lot but are incredibly tough.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby showinkie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Higdon it's all I use. If they have a flaw it's that they're heavier then most.
showinkie
Newb

Postby txhunter90 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:54 am

Dakota decoys for sure
txhunter90
hunter

Postby semomudhen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 am

Running nothing but Body Language this year. Buddy has the Dakota's and I just don't like the look of them. Just my 2cents though.
semomudhen
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum