checking out new calls

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

checking out new calls

Postby Cpetit33 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Anyone know anything about matteson custom calls
Cpetit33
hunter

Re: checking out new calls

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 pm

I have not.

What type of call are you looking for?
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Just a good solid duck right know my favorite is the duck picker by duck commander I can get as loud as I want with it and I can get pretty soft with it too its a somewhat pretty easy call to do a feeder call with too. I'm just always looking for new calls to play around with.
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby Bunker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:23 pm

I got a double nasty this year. A pretty inexpensive double reed. The tones not bad but have yet it put it through some paces since Ive been more on my weeker than my quacker so far this season. Another is the Sarge by DC, Ive had that a coupla seasons now and like it a lot. I'm looking for a good cold weather one if anybody has had luck with any come the end of Dec & into January.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Ive been looking at Ducklander Calls. Heard good stuff about them.

There are a lot of good calls out there. I've been leaning more toward single reed last few years.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Come late season I just keep it tucked into my jacket to keep it from freezing up.

I tend to drool in my call. :tongue:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I love all my double reads but I also have to carry a few with me when it gets cold they freeze up easy I havnt found a single ready that I like as much though. I once had a single read wood call my dad handed down to me and that was awsomr but its was a no name and it about 30 years old but its at the bottom of a lake now.
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby Bunker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 pm

I do the same thing 733 sub but I still have to blow warm air thru the barrel before calling and if I forget it sounds like I'm strangling a duck in my blind. :(

Yeah I have tendancy to start foaming at the mouth when the ducks start flying even in January! :)

Bunker
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I got a RNT Daisycutter last winter and love it. You can get real low and ducky with it and rip out the hale calls and higher pitched calls as well. Has a good feeding chuckle and seems to be a good call for cajun squeal/bouncing hen as well. Check it out!
JCraig12
hunter

Postby Bunker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:49 am

I had well still have but don't use much any more a single reed faulks. I used it for years, it was one of my first calls. It's another wallet friendly call, nice deep raspy tone, good for chuckling. I still have it in my bag outta principal and to change things up should the ducks start being unresponsive to the others I have around my neck.

I also use the Buck Gardner 5n1 or 6n1 whistle lookin' one. Not that I have much call(no pun intended) for the widgeon, pintail and gadwall type sounds but as a wood duck weeker it's great early season and then as the season progresses and the the mallards get more leery of the generic quacking I've had pretty good success with drake mallard call that it can produce.

Bunker
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:35 am

I picked up an acrylic RNT Daisy Cutter as well this spring, its flippin awesome. Totally exceeded my expectations. picked it up on the classifieds for $90 and it was brand new, they're $140 at cabelas...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm

They're all the same to the ducks, but have fun blowing them.
papageno
hunter

Postby Bunker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 pm

I saw a thread in the honey hole something to the effect of "how much money do you have hanging around your neck" and I've always wondered what draws duck hunters to these high dollar calls? No disrespect BK cuz you got a heck of a deal and I'm a sucker for a good deal but what is it about the high dollar calls that creates a market for them and draws hunters to them? Do they make that much better of a sound? Do they pull ducks in on a string or make them drop into my lap better than my $30 call? If thats the case then I'm in cuz as God and my wife knows that I've dropped a pretty penny on this sport I love but its more visible in my decoy bag and gun case than around my neck. I usually buy a new call each year as I gear up for the season to play with but I've never spent more than $30. Actually the most expensive call I own is a DC Sarge which stickered for $32 or so and the only reason I bought it was I found it in Mardens a couple years back for 19.99 and snatched it up (I did say I was a sucker for a deal). Just curious on others input.

Bunker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm

I own both cheap calls and expensive calls. The cheap ones will kill ducks, no doubt. However, there are indeed some things that the more expensive calls can do in range, response, tone, etc. Most people, myself included, are hard pressed to utilize those differences in most situations. That said, I love them and if I had the money I could spend it on several calls I want right now! :grooving: ... but I don't. :sad: :lol3:

High performance calls are just one more element of hunting to spend time and money on, like dogs and boats and decoys and guns and waterproof hunting clothes... and in the long run, actually one of the less expensive. :wink:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 pm

I think what most people don't understand is that these expensive calls are made for attracting ducks into a decoy spread in a corner of a 500 acre agricultural field in an endless sea of ag fields dotted with flocks of a thousand birds.

East coast hunting is all about finding a little backwater where a small bunch of birds has collected and not scaring them away when they come back in the morning. Anything that chuckles and quacks a bit will work just fine. One $10 call is all you need around here. You're actually better off not calling much if at all.
papageno
hunter

Postby RedDog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 am

papageno wrote:I think what most people don't understand is that these expensive calls are made for attracting ducks into a decoy spread in a corner of a 500 acre agricultural field in an endless sea of ag fields dotted with flocks of a thousand birds.

Actually the high-dollar duck calls are really made for the competitive calling stage, not the duck blind. They have way more range than needed to just sound like a duck. Competitions are HUGE in other parts of the country, and big business for call manufacturers. I've got a box of 20+ "cheap" duck calls, and most will get the job done.

However, I do believe that when it comes to GOOSE calls, you get what you pay for.
RedDog
hunter

Postby Bunker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am

RedDog wrote:
However, I do believe that when it comes to GOOSE calls, you get what you pay for.[/quote]

Any recommendations when it comes to goose calls? Currently I have a primos honky tonk. Seems to have a higher pitch then others I've tried and the geese respond to it alright.

Bunker
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:39 pm

I dont have any real expensive duck calls, yet. I have a couple of the mid grade Buck Gardner spit tech acrylic calls tht I hardly use that I would sell for half price. I just don't use them really.

Goose calls on the other hand I have a Lynch Mob slipknot acrylic that is expensive but it sounds awesome and is very easy to tune. I also got a Big Guys Best widowmaker II as a groomsmen gift a month ago which is also another expensive call and that is also very nice! But I used a Quackhead Gooszilla for the longest time and still do on occasion which is just a poly $25 call and it works fine.

I think it's all what your comfortable with.
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Any recommendations when it comes to goose calls? Currently I have a primos honky tonk. Seems to have a higher pitch then others I've tried and the geese respond to it alright.

I just picked up a Zink Nightmare On Stage on clearance for $70 bucks as my first call a month or two ago. It's awesome and I found it super easy to learn on, I've worked my way up to being able to do triple clucks with three different tones and a whole other host of sounds. Check one out if you can. The Field Proven Goose Calling tutorials on Youtube really helped me a lot.
JCraig12
hunter

Postby RedDog » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:20 pm

I run a Zink Moneymaker. So do two of my hunting partners,
RedDog
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:50 pm

RedDog wrote:Actually the high-dollar duck calls are really made for the competitive calling stage, not the duck blind. They have way more range than needed to just sound like a duck. Competitions are HUGE in other parts of the country, and big business for call manufacturers. I've got a box of 20+ "cheap" duck calls, and most will get the job done.

However, I do believe that when it comes to GOOSE calls, you get what you pay for.

Interesting observation. I must say that I agree with this to a point. One of the things that surprised me when I first got into fowl hunting was that (in my experience) ducks often don't want any calling at all. Geese can operate under silence sometimes too, but much less frequently than ducks. We did a little experimenting in Sept different times after the limits were filled and didn't answer honkers at all as they were descending into the spread...they didn't like it at all if they were talking...most of the time it made them uneasy enough that they changed their mind.
While I don't usually gravitate toward Zink calls, I have to admit that the Money Maker is a sweet one. I've tried that once or twice and found it very adaptable and easy to run.
There's certainly a pile of good goose calls out there...I like my Lynch Mob Slipknot Hybrid. I recommended it to main goosin' partner and he ended up with a different Lynch Mob that I don't care for at all. Go figure.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Fot the money you can not beat a RNT hunter series. I have tried another call for around the same price but the RNT is amazing. And for $50 you can't beat it.
I am A Redneck
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting