Vintage marsh guns

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Vintage marsh guns

Postby SteelKiller » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Just wondering what you all shoot that is "older?" I have an over under Charles Daly that I am itching to take to the marsh. Problem is it has fixed chokes and we all know steel doesn't work with them! What shot are you shooting out of your older guns?
Ben
P.S. where is everyone? 4 days till the zone 1 opener and it's quiet in here!
SteelKiller
hunter

Re: Vintage marsh guns

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Hevi-shot makes some shot that is friendly on the older guns. They do recommend that you do not use a full choke on steel shot, but my father-in-law has been shooting an 1100 mag with a 30" full choke for about 17 years with steel shot. Maybe it is just a warning or they don't make guns like the used to. We have not patterned it and it may string out the shot, but it puts a lot of birds on the ground.

I have an old Belgium made A-5 that I take out from time to time along with a Mod. 12 and several older Ithacas because I like to shoot them. All full chokes.

The gun manufactures and ammo all try to limit their liability. Like McDonalds stating that they coffee is hot and may cause serious burns.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Ithaca33 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:44 am

you can absolutely shoot steel in fixed choked barrels but it depends on the choke. I would shy away from shooting large steel (3,2,bb) in full chokes but if they are mod or more open it shouldnt be an issue.

You need find out if your Charles Daly is rated for steel shot or not. Even still I've shot 4's through my 60's era ithaca model 37 for years without issue.
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby SteelKiller » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Is there an easy way to tell what chokes they are? I know barrel 1 is modified or open but how can I figure out barrel 2? I didn't pay a lot for it so I would consider shooting steel once in a while if it's not going to destroy it! I do love the gun, first time I shot it I went 24/25 so it won my heart right then!
SteelKiller
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:40 pm

SteelKiller wrote:Is there an easy way to tell what chokes they are? I know barrel 1 is modified or open but how can I figure out barrel 2? I didn't pay a lot for it so I would consider shooting steel once in a while if it's not going to destroy it! I do love the gun, first time I shot it I went 24/25 so it won my heart right then!

You can get a caliper or an I.D. micrometer and measure the I.D. of your barrels to find out the diameter and based on the measurement, you can find out the choke of the barrel.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 am

SteelKiller wrote:Just wondering what you all shoot that is "older?" I have an over under Charles Daly that I am itching to take to the marsh. Problem is it has fixed chokes and we all know steel doesn't work with them! What shot are you shooting out of your older guns?
Ben
P.S. where is everyone? 4 days till the zone 1 opener and it's quiet in here!

If you reload look at Ballistic Products ITX shot. It is soft enough for old barrels and will not break the bank as bad as store bought hevi classic doubles or Bismuth. PS: Remington has always approved their post 1960 single barrel fixed choke guns for steel shot. Full choke up to #2 steel. They also pattern steel up to #2 very well.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby Antonio Zoli » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 pm

There should be stamps on the base of the barrels, where they meet the receiver. I have an old Daly 28ga. made by Miroku, and the chokes are stamped with a code of pluses and minuses, I think "++" equals full, "+ -" equals modified, something like that. Google it on Chuck Hawks and you'll be able to decipher your chokes. Purchase Hevi-shot "classic doubles" and you're golden - though be warned, Hevi-shot is dang expensive.
Antonio Zoli
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting