Saw a great sight while scouting this evening

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Saw a great sight while scouting this evening

Postby Joser06 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 pm

So this year I am scouting a lot prior to our opener. I have probably been to 12 of my spots and have hardly seen more than wood duck, which I am not complaining about. Not many mallards and no teal, until tonight. Well I saw all of the common puddlers for the area tonight. I saw woodies, blue wing, green wing, mallards and blacks, but the best thing I saw was this.

It is tough to see, but that is a hen pintail. Gorgeous bird and it wasn't too afraid of me. The picture was taken through my binoculars and my iphone because I had left my nikon at home. I hope it hangs around another week because that bird is my unicorn. It had some blue on its bill and that's what made me double take it
Joser06
hunter

Re: Saw a great sight while scouting this evening

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:51 am

Nice find. The northern pintails are around in small numbers. I agree on the numbers being way down locally when compared to the last 5 years. I have been watching several roosting areas that are typically loaded with teal and woodies and the last 2 week I have seen 12 birds :no: Typically I count them by the hundreds each night.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Saw a great sight while scouting this evening

Postby woodduck14 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Awesome man, hope it's there for ya on opening day. Hope the drake is there too...
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting