1752 Alweld Build Thread

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

1752 Alweld Build Thread

Postby grizz18 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Well here's my newest rig, 2010 1752 Alweld with a 50hp Johnson tiller, open floor plan. Autopilot trolling motor, am/fm cd player, vhf, Lowrance Elite DSI 5 gps/depthfinder, battery switch, 3 batteries, bilge ect.

I plan on gutting the boat, and setting it up as a duck/flats fishing boat. Below is the check list for what I have planned for the boat:

- rip out current foampad on floor (done)
- rip out uneven aluminum floor (done, it was overlapped road signs haha)
- rip out all foam under floor (done)
- remove the cd/vhf system-box (done)
- remove all junk wiring, clean up rest, possibly replace all
- new switches
- bedliner for the interior
- mount cooler to bow
- camo stencil outside
- remove camo clad from motor, paint motor
- new floor in boat
- led interior lights

Probably more to do, just can't think of it now.

Here is the boat before, and during removal of padding/flooring.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
photo 3 (2).jpg
photo 5 (2).jpg
Road signs for flooring, gotta love previous redneck engineering
grizz18
Squatch Life

Re: 1752 Alweld Build Thread

Postby grizz18 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 pm

More pictures to come sometime tomorrow. I was able to rip out pretty much all of the interior last night, got it down to the bare hull. Rain is going to screw me for the next couple of days...
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Looks like the same person got ahold of both of our motors...My entire boat was covered in this stuff. Huge PITA to get off. I am looking forward to following your build. For the LED lighting, I would recommend the RGB strip I bought. I wanted red for duck hunting, green for night fishing, and white, just in case. I ended up with a 16' strip with an IR remote for 18 shipped.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 pm

T Man wrote:Looks like the same person got ahold of both of our motors...My entire boat was covered in this stuff. Huge PITA to get off. I am looking forward to following your build. For the LED lighting, I would recommend the RGB strip I bought. I wanted red for duck hunting, green for night fishing, and white, just in case. I ended up with a 16' strip with an IR remote for 18 shipped.

You have a link for those lights? Can you cut that strip in 1/2? I need 8' down each side.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:01 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJJ ... UTF8&psc=1

They can be cut, however you will need a splitter to work both sections

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Sp ... T0EJSP6KPR

The only two complains I have are that they use an indoor 3m adhesive on the back, and that the control box isn't waterproof. Mine sat outside in the rain and it shorted a terminal. I ordered another set and will either pot the board in epoxy or dip it in plasti-dip. It is going to be covered from the rain after it gets installed, but I want the extra bit of protection. To correct the adhesive problem I bought some 3m outdoor extreme duty double stick tape. I have already used this in my boat for cupholders and it holds up just fine.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:07 am

T Man wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJJDLHQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They can be cut, however you will need a splitter to work both sections

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Sp ... T0EJSP6KPR

The only two complains I have are that they use an indoor 3m adhesive on the back, and that the control box isn't waterproof. Mine sat outside in the rain and it shorted a terminal. I ordered another set and will either pot the board in epoxy or dip it in plasti-dip. It is going to be covered from the rain after it gets installed, but I want the extra bit of protection. To correct the adhesive problem I bought some 3m outdoor extreme duty double stick tape. I have already used this in my boat for cupholders and it holds up just fine.

I appreciate the info and will look into it.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:36 am

Looking forward to the build Grizz
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 am

Better get with it grizz duck season is coming on fast.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 am

Hey man nice boat, saw that one on criagslist. The rebuilds are fun, once over you're left looking for more. I have a 1752 Lowe allwelded with a 50 Rude on it. If it is just you I'd plan on putting weight in the front to prevent porpoising. TM battery or extra gas tank etc. If you always have a buddy have him sit up there.

I'm in Gville/Wville btw
tod0987
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:26 am

tod0987 wrote:Hey man nice boat, saw that one on criagslist. The rebuilds are fun, once over you're left looking for more. I have a 1752 Lowe allwelded with a 50 Rude on it. If it is just you I'd plan on putting weight in the front to prevent porpoising. TM battery or extra gas tank etc. If you always have a buddy have him sit up there.

I'm in Gville/Wville btw

I think he had mentioned putting gas tank under the bow.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:22 am

tod0987 wrote:Hey man nice boat, saw that one on criagslist. The rebuilds are fun, once over you're left looking for more. I have a 1752 Lowe allwelded with a 50 Rude on it. If it is just you I'd plan on putting weight in the front to prevent porpoising. TM battery or extra gas tank etc. If you always have a buddy have him sit up there.

I'm in Gville/Wville btw

Yep I bought it Greenville. Thinking about gas up front but dot know if I will have enough deck height. Boat has titl trim so porpoising shouldn't be issue
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby steve-o » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:23 am

subscribed

Nice find grizzle. Jelly fo sho. I haven't been able to find such a boat over here in AR unless you buy new.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:57 pm

steve-o wrote:subscribed

Nice find grizzle. Jelly fo sho. I haven't been able to find such a boat over here in AR unless you buy new.

This guy bought the boat new from AR... Not many Alwelds around here.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby grizz18 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:30 pm

No real updates to speak of. I've got basically everything stripped out, and the wood for the floor bought.

I've had a terrible time trying to get the floor in. I want the wood cut tight and I want it to look good so I've had to make a template. The weather has been terrible as well, so that's been slowing me down.

Questions for you guys.

I plan on bedlining the entire inside of the boat. I want to waterproof the wood, if I sealed the wood with Thompsons would this keep the bedliner from adhering to the wood with the sealer on it? Should I just seal the bottom of the wood?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby handyandy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:40 pm

I'd just use the bed liner on the wood directly. I would think it would seal it pretty well so it would last you a good while
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:42 pm

handyandy wrote:I'd just use the bed liner on the wood directly. I would think it would seal it pretty well so it would last you a good while

I agree for the top, I wanted protection of the wood for the underside as well. Naturally water will be running/draining under the floor so I wanted the most protection possible.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:55 pm

handyandy wrote:I'd just use the bed liner on the wood directly. I would think it would seal it pretty well so it would last you a good while

I wouldn't go this route if it were me. I tried water seal as well and wasn't impressed with the results. I will be doing my decks with spar urethane, then using rustoleum deck restore over top of it. The spar urethane is used in the marine industry almost exclusively for a reason. I am redoing my decks right now and will be using cabinet grade plywood. It has no international voids similar to marine plywood at about half the cost. The only downside is the glue isn't waterproof. I used Cdx the first time and it had too many voids to thoroughly waterproof the wood.

I'm in the middle of replacing my decks right now that I put in hastily Las year before duck season so I've got the opportunity to evaluate the methods and materials I used and how well they stood up after a year of hard use and being stored outside.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby handyandy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 pm

it's expensive but you won't have to worry about it again if you use aluminum for the floor. I was talking about coating the bottom and top with bed liner before screwing down the wood I would think it would protect it pretty well on both sides. Eventually in a wet environment like a boat water gets to the wood no matter what and it starts to rot. But with decent wood and a good coating I'm sure you could get a good couple years out of it.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Grizz, are you on thehulltruth.com with the same name?
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 pm

T Man wrote:Grizz, are you on thehulltruth.com with the same name?

Yes
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:56 pm

grizz18 wrote:
T Man wrote:Grizz, are you on thehulltruth.com with the same name?

Yes

That thread on the 65' viking is crazy!
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:23 pm

The one with Twins? If so, I can think of a lot of other things I would spend the money on if I had that kind of change.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Boat progress will be made tomorrow, not a lot but a decent amt.

I've decided that I will seal the underside of the wood, and the entire inside will be bed lined and hopefully water tight. I will put 2 drains in the floor at the base of the back bench.

Here's the plan for the floor now, and making floor watertight. The floor will be plywood, and there will unavoidably be gaps from the cuts around the ribs and side of the boat. For those gaps, I will spray in foam (like the expanding foam for windows/doors). I know this is will absorb water, but hopefully it wont have much to absorb. Since I don't want electrolysis, BEFORE I install the floor I will bedline a couple inches above and below where the plywood meets the side of the boat. Any foam that gets wet at least wont be touching aluminum.

Sound like a decent idea? Need better description?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:26 pm

grizz18 wrote:Boat progress will be made tomorrow, not a lot but a decent amt.

I've decided that I will seal the underside of the wood, and the entire inside will be bed lined and hopefully water tight. I will put 2 drains in the floor at the base of the back bench.

Here's the plan for the floor now, and making floor watertight. The floor will be plywood, and there will unavoidably be gaps from the cuts around the ribs and side of the boat. For those gaps, I will spray in foam (like the expanding foam for windows/doors). I know this is will absorb water, but hopefully it wont have much to absorb. Since I don't want electrolysis, BEFORE I install the floor I will bedline a couple inches above and below where the plywood meets the side of the boat. Any foam that gets wet at least wont be touching aluminum.

Are you taking the decking all the way to the back? I would suggest that you leave the gaps around the edges. If somehow you take a decent wave, scuppers at the back wont clear as quickly to get the water to the bilge as if you had scuppers for minor wet downs and gaps at the edge for the "worse case scenerio" I am running dual bilge pumps in my boat just in case though. Ive taken out all of my foam so I need to try and make up for it somehow.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 pm

T Man wrote:
grizz18 wrote:Boat progress will be made tomorrow, not a lot but a decent amt.

Are you taking the decking all the way to the back? I would suggest that you leave the gaps around the edges. If somehow you take a decent wave, scuppers at the back wont clear as quickly to get the water to the bilge as if you had scuppers for minor wet downs and gaps at the edge for the "worse case scenerio" I am running dual bilge pumps in my boat just in case though. Ive taken out all of my foam so I need to try and make up for it somehow.

Yes, decking as of now will go all the way to the back bench. The only reason I didn't want the gap at the back is for all the trash (mud, reeds, grass, ect) getting stuck under the floor. I may the leave the gap at the rear, but down the sides I will def be sealing those off.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds