Help finding area to take youth goose hunting

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Help finding area to take youth goose hunting

Postby Harward19 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm hoping to find some kindness left in this world! I would love some help finding an area for my husband to take my 13 year old daughter goose hunting. It is her first year and she is so excited to go! My husband has been hunting geese and duck for the last 5 years, but never been able to find a good area for geese (still hasn't shot 1 yet!). He has walked waterfowl areas and also tried walking door to door asking about permission to hunt on fields but has not had any success finding a good goose area. When he asks people out in Farmington Bay or Ogden area about where to go he gets the cold shoulder and people won't give out their "honey hole". What happened to kindness is my thought?! Please help me, help my husband get our daughter on some geese?!?!?! We live in West Point but would travel pretty much anywhere within 2-3 hours drive. Thanks so much!
Harward19
Newb

Re: Help finding area to take youth goose hunting

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 pm

If nothing happens for you pm me around the first of November. Its a 5 hour drive and not a guarantee of geese but I may know where to get her some shooting at some when the birds move in.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Great to see ya try hard for the birds...PM sent.
Kevin N
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Not to sound rude but my brother in law didn't kill his first goose till he was in his thirty's geese are hard to come by in Utah unless your in a club or hunt private land back in 80's and early 90's land owners would let you hunt there land now most want big money . I totally understand why people don't give up there honey hole I have spent many years scouting for ducks and geese it seems every time you tell someone where to hunt they take all there buddy's and ruin it .Your best bet would be salt creek ,bear river bird refuge ,Howard slough good luck
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm

cootlover wrote:Not to sound rude but my brother in law didn't kill his first goose till he was in his thirty's geese are hard to come by in Utah unless your in a club or hunt private land back in 80's and early 90's land owners would let you hunt there land now most want big money . I totally understand why people don't give up there honey hole I have spent many years scouting for ducks and geese it seems every time you tell someone where to hunt they take all there buddy's and ruin it .Your best bet would be salt creek ,bear river bird refuge ,Howard slough good luck

X2. It took me 22yrs of hunting to kill a goose, a lot of time walking, scouting and persistence pays off. Your husband is still new to the sport with 5yrs under his belt, if he keeps trying they'll get one. Goose spots are probably the most guarded secrets in this sport too.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Harward19 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks so much for the advice! I wasn't trying to get my husband out, I was trying to get my daughter out. I think if we can get her interested fast in this sport she will enjoy it in the future as much as me and her dad do! I really do understand where you are coming from about your "honey hole" cootlover, but it depends on the person I guess. Thanks again for all the advice and places to check out! I really appreciate it! Have a great day everyone :)
Harward19
Newb

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Getting your daughter interested should be more about the experience than the kill.
Last edited by duckslayer74 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby bdub31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Pm me when you get the chance I may have a few ideas for the goose spots but it may not be an easy hunt either.
bdub31
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:20 pm

I see my bro sent you a PM. I'd love to help put your youngster on a goose! I am creating just the place for this very thing! Nothing better than kids and birds! :thumbsup:
Factor 8
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting