Got Tide??

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Got Tide??

Postby Islander Gunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm

This gives "waterfront" living a new meaning. I guess it sucks to be a earth worm today, the perfect set for tomorrow.
Attachments
106_4761.JPG
106_4762.JPG
106_4764.JPG
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Re: Got Tide??

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 pm

The tide is high as heck here in Norfolk too. Almost hurricane high. I sure hope everyone blinds make it through this.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Careful not to shoot your truck when they come in
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 pm

What's for dinner :lol3: stuff goose breast :eek: yes I too have boats getting there bottoms wet that should be high and dry and IMO bad timing for we waterfowl hunters .

:biggrin: LD :sad:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:20 am

Hey Lew, this would be one of those times you talk about when those mean ole shore boys burn the duck blinds and shoot the marsh hens as they fly/fall out wouldnt it? :lol3: Tis the season.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 am

Tide was up 3.5 feet more than usual at my spot giving the birds more than enough other place to land. Managed one drake wood.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 am

http://www.chincoteaguehunt-fish.com/
Rail Hunts

Rail hunting is a great way to start off your waterfowl season. It is an excellent way to fine tune your pass shooting. It includes that day on the water that all waterfowlers find irresistible and your reward at the end of the day is most often one of the best tasting birds that fly. There are a number of different species of rail found on Delmarva's eastern shore which include Virginia, Sora and King, but Clapper Rail is by far the most common on Virginia's seaside marshes.

There are two basic ways to hunt rail. The traditional method is done by polling a shallow draft boat over the flooded marsh. To do this, three conditions must exist. First it must be high tide. Second there must be a strong easterly wind (preferably Nor'east) and third, it must be at or just after the full moon. If any of those conditions don't exist, there will not be enough water in the bay to cover the marsh. This makes it very difficult to schedule your trip in advance. The locals have been using this method for years with great success. During these flood tides, the birds are forced up to the high ground, such as duck blinds and stumps. Hunters have often limited out by firing into a duck blind without ever seeing the birds. Rail will often remain in the cover even after repeated shooting, as they have nowhere else to go. This method of hunting rail has been going on for hundreds of years and has accounted for many fine meals, but leaves something to be desired in the way of sport.

A more predictable and in my opinion a more sporting method of hunting rail is to walk the marsh and flush the rail as you would when upland hunting quail or pheasant. This can be done at any time other than when the three above conditions exist.

This is done by sailing to some distant, secluded marsh. Putting one to three hunters ashore on the wide portion of an island or Peninsula. The hunters then walk toward the narrow portion, driving the birds towards the point. As the rail start to feel confined, they take flight. As mentioned, this method of hunting can be done sometime during the day, regardless of weather conditions, so your trip can be planned well in advance.

Equipment required consists of a shotgun from 410 to 12 gauge. Nontoxic shot is required for rail. One of the biggest problems hunters have is practicing their pass shooting on sporting clays or skeet with lead shot, then waterfowl hunting with steel, which travels at a far different speed. If you shoot steel, 2 3/4, #6 shot is a good load. If you are shooting hevi-shot, #6 or 7 1/2 works well. It's best to wear a pair of old sneakers or jogging shoes, white gym socks and long pants. Waders and hip boots are difficult to walk in and also too warm for this time of the year. A hunters orange safety vest is not required but is recommended.

Dogs are not necessary but can be helpful. There are many small creeks running through the marsh which are easier traversed by a dog than you or your guide. There is currently a 15 bird limit on rail, so it can be a good workout and tune-up for you and your dog.

For additional information please contact Capt. Pete Wallace:

Hey what kind I say other then I'll stick to the Western side of hunting them by kicking them up while walking a marsh .

:eek: LD :fingerpt:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 am

Nice work Lew. You've taken words from a yankee come here jerseyite guide that everyone knows sucks and applied his methodology to all eastern shoreman. :clapping: :clapping:

Using your train of thought I could say everyone in Matthews is a bunch of nieve narrow minded fools.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 am

Yep But you was the one that added it to this thread for some dumb reason . Best thing I can say is stay out of the bumps in a marsh during the high tides .

:rolleyes: LD :tongue:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:20 am

dukcommander wrote:Tide was up 3.5 feet more than usual at my spot giving the birds more than enough other place to land. Managed one drake wood.

Sounds like an exact duplicate of my morning.
skydog
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 am

I shot seven contracts (Limit), responded to about ten emails, eraticated numerous problems on multiple projects and ate lunch. Also, got yelled at by the big boss for someone else not performing their job and re-hurt my ankle.
Good day so far.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 am

LEWDOG wrote:Yep But you was the one that added it to this thread for some dumb reason . Best thing I can say is stay out of the bumps in a marsh during the high tides .

:rolleyes: LD :tongue:

Completely irrelevant.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 am

Dont use big words. I get lost.
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Comehere or not the man is the only one that has said this way of hunting on the net claiming that this is done over there , which is the place that tides do cover the marshes while rail season is in and I wash my hands of the mess and going to leave you in this thread crying .

ir·rel·e·vant ( -r l -v nt). adj. Unrelated to the matter being considered.
not relevant; not applicable or pertinent: His lectures often stray to interesting but irrelevant subjects. 2. Law. (of evidence) having no probative value upon any ...

:rolleyes: LD :fingerpt:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Congrats Lew. You researched a definition online. Hurray, now read it and think about what it means.

My comment on relevance pertained to your TF type statement of "you started it". Him, being a come here an hunting in such a juvenile way does not mean that we all do this. As you put it, for some dumb reason, you found it to be a general fact that all shoreman hunt this way. If you had paid attention to my post you'd see that he is not a shoreman at all and thus cannot and should not be used to judge the rest.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Cool discussion guys :thumbsup:

Technically its "shoremen" when using a plural form and "shoreman" for a singular. And I've never heard of a native of Northampton or Accomac counties ever refer to themselves as a "shoreman"? I always thought that was a yankee thing. Anyway, keep at it.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm

:umm:
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:59 pm

It's hunting season... If ya haven't shot your limit you should still be outside. Not bickering behind a keyboard.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm

NealLauderman wrote:It's hunting season... If ya haven't shot your limit you should still be outside. Not bickering behind a keyboard.

:lol: :thumbsup:
flint4045
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Hey Lew, this would be one of those times you talk about when those mean ole shore boys burn the duck blinds and shoot the marsh hens as they fly/fall out wouldnt it? :lol3: Tis the season.

Let's start over , HGWT what in the heck are you talking about ?
NealLauderman wrote:It's hunting season... If ya haven't shot your limit you should still be outside. Not bickering behind a keyboard.

So true but with all this new water in every low spot this season is for the birds ... well OK so I keep telling myself that junk so I won't get mad that I can't hunt this 4 day season.
OK it's time to get this thread back on the subject of the high tides of this storm and this time of the year . Let me start by asking one of you shoremen how is Saxis making out in the high water , wet seem to be the new norm for that town ?

:sarcmark: LD :clapping:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:48 am

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:Cool discussion guys :thumbsup:

Technically its "shoremen" when using a plural form and "shoreman" for a singular. And I've never heard of a native of Northampton or Accomac counties ever refer to themselves as a "shoreman"? I always thought that was a yankee thing. Anyway, keep at it.

Thank gawd you set me straight Duck Slayer....I mean slaya. I am new to this area and thought shoreman/shoremen was the term, but Im fairly certain that yankee term is Bayman/baymen. Again, good looking out man.
Last edited by Have Gun Will Travel on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:56 am

LEWDOG wrote:Let's start over , HGWT what in the heck are you talking about ?

I knew I should have gotten right to the point. In plain words Im about tired of reading your posts each year about the hunters on the eastern shore being all people who bait, shoot before/past light, and blindly shoot into duck blinds. To put it even more plainly you can take your general offensive small minded dumb comments and shove'em. Im sure none of the sort goes on in Matthews.

:thumbsup: LmpD :fingerhead:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 am

News flash for you boy , I don't give a dang how you like or not like anything I type on these forums .

The wind has drop down and the rain has almost stopped and maybe the tides will stay within the banks here on the Western shore .

:mad: LD :fingerhead:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 am

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby kahunna » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 am

That can't be a good thing when you're holding up Mathews as a comparison example...must be the hoy toyds that have all the shoremen's panties in a bunch!
kahunna
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting