Best duck Choke out to 50 w/Vinci??

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Best duck Choke out to 50 w/Vinci??

Postby gooseman1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Vinci owners- what's the best Duck choke for the Vinci from 0-50yrds?? Opinions???
gooseman1
hunter

Re: Best duck Choke out to 50 w/Vinci??

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:34 pm

It's impossible to talk about choke without considering the load being used. One choke may throw a 70% pattern with one load and a 55% load with another. But I can tell you this with absolute certainty. From 0 to 40 yards, there is no one best choke, regardless of the gun.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Ok Frank- makes sense- how about 3" Hevi metal 2s @ 1500Fps- I'm leaning towards the Hevi shot chokes - mid range and Ext range - but wanted to hear some thoughts???
gooseman1
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, you narrowed it down some. But now comes the really important question. What's the expected range? Ideally, you want a choke that's going to give you 70% (assuming you've selected the load correctly) at that range. This should make the combination good from 5 to 10 yards before that distance and 10 yards past that distance.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

I use the Terror .700 in my Benellis. IMO, its the best choke I can get my hands on at the distances I get shots at. All of my shots are between 35 and 50 yards. If I get a rare shot closer, I wait till it gets in my shooting range.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Chris!! That would have been my first choice! But as we all know - u can't hardly find a 700 terror for a Crio plus- Jeff doesn't have or make them anymore!!- do u know anyone that would turn loose of there's??
gooseman1
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:16 pm

You are right. I am surprised. It seems that the Optima Field is for the Crio threads and they are out of the .700 constriction already. Sad huh? I had a crio barrel on my HkSBE at one time and had a 700 Terror on it. I sold the choke along with the barrel after I discovered it shot about the same as my mobil barrel. Before settling on the Terrors, I went through a pile of chokes and nothing came close. I dont know what to tell you, sorry. One choke I didnt try on my Benelli was the .700 Briley. By the way, I did try two diff Carlson .700 chokes and that was a wasted effort. The Briley chokes are the built on the same design as the Terrors which is, they taper down to their smallest choke at the midway point and then stay that same constrition on out to the muzzle. Thats my best guess as to what might work for ya.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby wingseeker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Hevishot Extended Range Waterfowl Choke................
wingseeker
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:44 pm

I also like the Crio system in the hevishot choke tube. I have been using the middle range
rainingmallards
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes