Any Luck??

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Any Luck??

Postby drew_timothy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey guys, im a college kid in brookings and have been sneaking out quite a bit on classless, and sometimes when i should be in class :fingerpt: , afternoons, and havent seen much in the area. From madison to poinsette the numbers just dont seem to be quite like what theyve been in recent seasons. Anyone getting into the birds? this years turned into basically one big teal shoot so far. Not digging for scouting reports here, but im curious if this is what others have been finding. A few birds, but few and far between seems like.
drew_timothy
hunter

Re: Any Luck??

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 am

Plenty of birds around. More pintails and a trickle of divers moved in last weekend. Still some teal and woodies around. Mallards are greening up...spooners everywhere. Only ducks lacking in numbers right now that "should" be here is the gadwall. I bet we'll see more after this coming cold front. Calendar birds are usually coming in about a week after the coots and cormorants really get migrating, and they were moving through in waves saturday and sunday.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby glrizzz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:49 am

Same problem here near Sioux Falls. Wherever tchaser is from, go there. Birds just aren't here yet. Maybe cold snap today will move some new birds in.
If duck hunting isn't bad enuff, pheasants are worse. Walked 3 hours yesterday on WPA where I had seen birds before. Zip. I hate this noon opening thing. When I lived in IA opener was 8 a.m.
glrizzz
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 pm

We went out and walked for pheasants today too, ended up with five between two guys so it worked out but there definitely aren't as many as before. We had to really work for them, that was about one o'clock to sunset, however some of the wpas we walked were holding fair numbers of mallards, pins, and gadwalls. Planning a hunt for tomorrow morning on one of those spots, fingers crossed I can get into them and make the scouting pay off
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Shot Tons of spoonies and teal. We got some buffies on lake john a little west of lake norden. We did awesome and if we would have put in the time we would have got our limits everyday. SoDak was good to us and even though we shot a lot of spoonies and teal we had a great time and enjoyed all the state land you guys have good luck hope you all knock them dead the rest of the season.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting