Best donor Jon to convert to Sneak Boat/Marsh boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Best donor Jon to convert to Sneak Boat/Marsh boat

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:01 pm

The Pity Party......

My wife and I are both Govt employees. I am essential and have been working without pay since the 1st. Mrs is non essential, except they illegally call her daily because nobody can do what she does....she is not getting paid. My gross income at this point is $0. My expensive puppy was diagnosed with a genetic disorder that can be corrected for $2200.

Hard to find much "up" side right now.

Ducks open Saturday. I've been enamored by single hunter lay down hunt able boats for a long time. I want one. But I am going to have to blow my boat money on a pup's surgery(no sick solutions of Put a Bullet in the dog and solve the problem plz). He's too smart and to cute.

A co-worker is very handy and crafty. Says he is not at all intimidated to try and convert a Jon boat to a boat that has a hard cover, cock pit, and doors. I just provide him the boat, aluminum, and some ideas. And gas to weld.

I have found a few threads. I e asked this type of question before, or rather its been suggested for me to try it in other threads.

There are a pile of Jon boats on Craigslist right now. Harbor Freight has the 212cc engine on sale for $99 this month. So I am looking for the best Poor Man's Schitt Box hunting boat.

The ultimate question is, what is the best platform to begin with? A 12' as wide as I can find one? Or a 14'?

This is to be used hunting while reclined with at least on bench seat cut out. Dog wil sit behind me. Not much mud but for sure shallow water due to dam controlled lake/river levels.

Thoughts?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Best donor Jon to convert to Sneak Boat/Marsh boat

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm

:rolleyes: :huh:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Sorry about your luck :sad: I would think a 12 would be long enough just hard to find one with much width. Most layout boats are real low shorter 12-14ft range and wide usually at least a 3ft wide cock pit and at least 40+ inches wide overall where the ride in the water. So I would think a 12 could work but most of those at best are 36in wide.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 pm

In my opinion, by the time you buy a john boat, buy the aluminum and buy wire/gas and what ever other incidentals, you will be out more money than if you would have built your own with plans on the internet. This solution will give you a much lower profile sneak boat for the same money than having some cobbled together john boat with a blind on it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm

But it would be wood/epoxy/fiber boat right?

I am a novice at the whole thing but I am pretty impressed by some Redneck engineering.

I've already found a welded 12' flat bottom in very good shape, and it's a wide SOB too. He quoted a 52" beam. I'm thinking that would be perfect. $400

My thoughts were, at that price, remove the center seat and everything after that would be a bonus of sorts??
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Every body drives a used boat. So 400 for a 12 foot welded with a 42 " bottom is a deal. I know that several makers have offered jons with 42" flat bottoms. I hear you on the money. Now that you have an affordable boat, put a reclining supine seat on top of the benches - out of the water on the floor for the first year and cover the whole thing with a ghylie throw, war surplus comes to mind. They can work well with a little local vegetation thrown in for a broken profile. I don't worry about the dog. I think that often they are a confidence builder for the ducks.

Most people hunt with less than the optimal rig. And most people have a great time at that. Enjoy the experience.

The 212 CC from Harbor Freight makes a great smaller long tail motor too.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Uplifting response Mark. Thank You.

Seller getting back to me to confirm specs, but I can afford the boat for a $400 dip into the sock drawer stash. The Ghille throw was what was on my RADAR for immediate deployment. Veg it/Grass it up and kill ducks and forget about headaches for a few hours.

Never thought about an exposed dog as a confidence aspect. I've never hunted a dog on a boat yet. Been a walker, wader, kayaker so far. A boat like this would open several areas I couldn't hunt effectively before.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:50 am

Jesse Jaymes wrote:But it would be wood/epoxy/fiber boat right?

I am a novice at the whole thing but I am pretty impressed by some Redneck engineering.

I've already found a welded 12' flat bottom in very good shape, and it's a wide SOB too. He quoted a 52" beam. I'm thinking that would be perfect. $400

My thoughts were, at that price, remove the center seat and everything after that would be a bonus of sorts??

I don't think there is a 12' jon that's 52" wide...I could be wrong though
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:40 pm

grizz18 wrote:
Jesse Jaymes wrote:But it would be wood/epoxy/fiber boat right?

I don't think there is a 12' jon that's 52" wide...I could be wrong though

52" beam would probably have a floor width of 36"...narrow boat.

For 400 you could buy the materials for a layout boat. And yes, they are a cored fiberglass boat when you build them.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:13 pm

I got the specs. You are correct. It's 1236 with 56" beam
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:10 pm

A 12 x 36 Jon is a common size. So is a 14 X 36. My point is that a lot of people use this size boat. It is not a great deep water boat. Rather it is for protected impoundments and smaller water - often the kinds of places that lots of people hunt. I mount lots of motors on this size boat.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds