Bag limit FYI

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Bag limit FYI

Postby magogwhacker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Had a great opener, we were done a little after 8. On the way out the warden checked our ducks and said we were not legal because we had them in one pile and couldn't recall exactly which ones each of us shot, except for the fact that we each got one black duck. The warden said they want to see a separate pile for each hunter. News to me, it might save some of you a problem.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Re: Bag limit FYI

Postby chambo32 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Its called party bagging......
chambo32
hunter

Postby joyfulsound866 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 am

technically not legal to throw birds into a pile, even for photos. each hunter must be in possession of the birds they shot, at all times. not legal to help fill a group limit either. we all do it. hopfully he didn't pop ya for it....
joyfulsound866
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:03 pm

No she was reasonable, gave us a little lecture and a stern warning....yes, you read it right, she. World's changing.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby jameyh » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Actually the state/federal rules read "possession", which is not clearly defined. pretty sure, if you really cared, you would get that ticket thrown out by a judge. you would really, by definition, need to also prove who actually harvested, or shot, which bird, which bird, doing necroptic dissection and analysis. then what happens, which is often the case, when several hunters shoot the same bird(s)? who's "pile" does it legally belong? Is it my "pile" if it is 4' away? 6'? 11'? Tough for a judge to agree that your "possessions" (birds) even have to be in a "pile", as it is not stated so in the law, as it is now your personal property. All very grey area, and this "birds in a pile" is something VT law enforcement decided to try to enforce within the lest couple seasons. Field "Possession" needs much more clear definition i.e how many feet from the possessing hunter, etc. Again, I think this is the wrong approach to a very "grey" issue.
jameyh
hunter

Postby jameyh » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:41 pm

joyfulsound866 wrote:technically not legal to throw birds into a pile, even for photos. each hunter must be in possession of the birds they shot, at all times. not legal to help fill a group limit either. we all do it. hopfully he didn't pop ya for it....

Just for my own education, have you seen where it is stated in the state/federal rules you may not mix your birds in with other's birds, such as for a photo?
I highly respect game wardens and police officers, tough job, but, they are not the "law" rather written law is the law, and decided/interpreted by judge and jury. I think they have it wrong on this one, IMHO
jameyh
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:08 pm

jameyh wrote:
joyfulsound866 wrote:technically not legal to throw birds into a pile, even for photos. each hunter must be in possession of the birds they shot, at all times. not legal to help fill a group limit either. we all do it. hopfully he didn't pop ya for it....

Just for my own education, have you seen where it is stated in the state/federal rules you may not mix your birds in with other's birds, such as for a photo?
I highly respect game wardens and police officers, tough job, but, they are not the "law" rather written law is the law, and decided/interpreted by judge and jury. I think they have it wrong on this one, IMHO

That was my feeling as well, I honestly haven't gone back and read the syllabus yet. I think this might be made up by law enforcement, but I'm not interested in having a problem, so we'll just do it their way.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:50 am

Was this at the sandbar? my buddy got dinged hard for party hunting on the opener and it was a girl wadern. Apparently shes a bear
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Nowhere near the Sandbar, but it was on the opener. Must have been a different female warden. I felt like she was very fair with us.
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting