Rickshaw Motor Mods...

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Rickshaw Motor Mods...

Postby copterdoc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Here's a couple of mods that I've done to my Rickshaw, that I'd like to share.

First, is the retaining pin, that allows for the motor to be retained in the mount. But, also allows for quick removal and stowage.

I used a square and scribed a line straight down the face of the mount. The line followed the edge of the bore that the yoke shaft rides in.
Then, I drilled a hole centered on the line, and reamed it to 1/4". Half the hole diameter bisected the bore for the yoke.

Then, I inserted the yoke in the mount, and using the drilled hole as a guide, milled the groove into the shaft. Alternating from each end of the hole, and once passing through, rotating the motor in 90 deg turns, until I could rotate a full 360 degrees, with the drill bit turning in the hole.

Next, is a mod that I did to avoid the exhaust. Both the noise, and the gasses.
The GX35 motor used on the Rickshaw, is made for a weedeater. It's a horizontal shaft application, so it blows the exhaust out what is normally the back. But, when used as a longtail, it blows it right at you.

It's hard to get away from it when sitting down. Especially with a tail-wind!

Well, Honda also makes a GX35 motor for vertical shaft applications. IE, tillers.
That GX35 motor has a suffix of NT-T3.

It's gas tank, muffler, and shroud are different.

I ordered and installed the muffler and shroud on my Rickshaw. They are a part-for-part, bolt on swap.

The P/N for the muffler is: 18310-Z3F-820.
The P/N for the shroud is: 19720-Z3F-800ZA.

copterdoc
hunter

Re: Rickshaw Motor Mods...

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Nice Mods! Keep the pics coming :thumbsup:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I've worked on some Rickshaw mods, too.

All the prop's thrust is taken by a small snap ring in the gearbox. When this snap ring fails, the drive shaft moves forward until it hits the aluminum gearbox case, and the key comes almost all the way out of the large gear. I machine a brass thrust button to take the wear off the case and keep the shaft from moving forward enough to compromise the key. I also have a more involved modification that eliminates the snap ring altogether and replaces it with a steel "hat". Never break another snap ring.

There is also a water seal that goes behind the lower Teflon bushing. This keeps water out of the gearbox. I've seen rusted bearings and chewed-up gears from water getting in the gearbox. This seal is now available from Rickshaw.

I also have developed a repair for the stainless steel drive shaft, where it wears at that lower bushing. Instead of buying a new shaft, I sleeve it with a brass sleeve. Costs about 1/3 what a new shaft costs, and can be re-sleeved over and over, if necessary.

The Rickshaw is a fine little unit. I'm very impressed with the engineering and manufacturing effort that goes into this mudmotor. The weaknesses are very few, but nothing is perfect.
Nice work, copterdoc. Next time send that yoke to me and I'll machine the groove the normal way. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:24 am

Rickshaw is not selling any motors right now. I have decided to build my own.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby threedogs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:57 am

What are you running this on and what speeds do you see ?

copterdoc wrote:Here's a couple of mods that I've done to my Rickshaw, that I'd like to share.

First, is the retaining pin, that allows for the motor to be retained in the mount. But, also allows for quick removal and stowage.

I used a square and scribed a line straight down the face of the mount. The line followed the edge of the bore that the yoke shaft rides in.
Then, I drilled a hole centered on the line, and reamed it to 1/4". Half the hole diameter bisected the bore for the yoke.

Then, I inserted the yoke in the mount, and using the drilled hole as a guide, milled the groove into the shaft. Alternating from each end of the hole, and once passing through, rotating the motor in 90 deg turns, until I could rotate a full 360 degrees, with the drill bit turning in the hole.

Next, is a mod that I did to avoid the exhaust. Both the noise, and the gasses.
The GX35 motor used on the Rickshaw, is made for a weedeater. It's a horizontal shaft application, so it blows the exhaust out what is normally the back. But, when used as a longtail, it blows it right at you.

It's hard to get away from it when sitting down. Especially with a tail-wind!

Well, Honda also makes a GX35 motor for vertical shaft applications. IE, tillers.
That GX35 motor has a suffix of NT-T3.

It's gas tank, muffler, and shroud are different.

I ordered and installed the muffler and shroud on my Rickshaw. They are a part-for-part, bolt on swap.

The P/N for the muffler is: 18310-Z3F-820.
The P/N for the shroud is: 19720-Z3F-800ZA.

Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:31 am

TomKat wrote:Rickshaw is not selling any motors right now. I have decided to build my own.

Did they say why they're not selling motors right now?

Seems like a really bad time to stop without a significant reason. Hope everything is okay. :sad:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Erich_870 wrote:
TomKat wrote:Rickshaw is not selling any motors right now. I have decided to build my own.

Did they say why they're not selling motors right now?

Seems like a really bad time to stop without a significant reason. Hope everything is okay. :sad:

Erich

Yeah me too. Although I never did any business with him he is a very pleasant person. I think the motors are a little pricey tho.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:54 pm

threedogs wrote:What are you running this on and what speeds do you see ?
A 1969 13' Grumman Lightweight Canoe, with aluminum side sponsons made about the same time.

The canoe with sponsons weighs about 50#. The Rickshaw weighs about 20#. It's quite manageable for one person to launch, and even portage across short distances of land.

I get ~5 MPH, and can run over three miles before I need to add gas.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Have a Rickshaw and run it on a MoMarsh DP and ODC.

John Willis said production was stopped because it was becoming far more than a part-time avocation however, he still services past customers' needs.

I suspect he'll start back in production once he figures out a business plan that doesn't allow for the tail to wag the dog.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds