G&H Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

G&H Decoys

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 pm

There are a number of decoy choices out there today and the new and improved models come out every year, most of the time the paint flakes off or turns the wrong color with in a season or two.
But a tried and true work horse in the decoy market is the G&H Decoy Brand.
I have seen a lot of bad Decoys come and go in the 44 years I have been Waterfowl hunting but G&H were not among them.
I went back through my Journal to try and put a date on some of my decoys and my first Purchase of The old Henrietta's (G&H) was 17 years ago.
As I looked over the entries I found two dozen Widgeon in the original spread I bought , a short walk out to the shop confirmed my reclection I still have some of those original decoys.
Now some one might say , well I have old decoys around so what.
Well what makes it so unusual is they have been used every year,
And to prove their durability I hunt in California where our season is 105 days long and I hunt on a reservoir that shoots mainly migrating ducks there is no real food source for them on the lake so they come in drink get pounded and move on , in other words its Fresh birds or no birds,
To compete for these new birds a spread of twenty dozen is not uncommon.
the blinds are ancored in 12-16 feet of water , so we leave the decoys out from beginning to end of season , so those G&H are on the water about 120 days counting youth weekend.
The elements are brutal on them that's why 90 percent of the seasoned lake hunters use G&H , nothing else will hold up to the sun and wave action.
When these decoys get tangled they rub against each other like a wash board some times for days.
And it go's with out saying that thousands and thousands of birds have been killed over them.
Up in the rice country it's the same story you can sell used G&H decoys for over half the price of new ones the resale is unbelievable and its almost the only decoy they will buy used they just keep going.
I have heard all the garbage that these youngsters have to say about the different brands but its usually from a kid who's been hunting less than a decade, I've had labs hunt longer than most of them , but time tells the story and for my money its G&H Decoys.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Re: G&H Decoys

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 am

Having bought my first G&H decoys in the '70s, I'm no kid. But my experience with them has been mixed. Still have some of the original teal and pintails, but my G&H mallard "luck" has differed. Keels have broken off some from flexing in the bag and bodies have split at the bend between sides and bottoms and along the top molding seam.

If there's a perfect decoy, I've missed it. And G&H has missed the realism boat. In fact, they've gone backwards. Never mind the debate over how much the birds do or don't care about realism, it bugs me to look at cartoonish decoys.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am

I don't know if the decoys you mention had a bad run or maybe a type of keel flaw , I tell you Rick , personally have owned hundreds of magnum and super mag mallards And have never experienced the problems you mention.
Never had a body split or a keel crack , I have had a head or two crack but it was always from abuse like a buddy sitting on it or walking across a boat load of them and even then the company sent me replacement heads at a very reasonable price.
As far as being perfect I've never used any product of any kind that didn't have a flaw once in a while.
But that's far from a product where the vast majority fail , these American Made Decoys are head and shoulders above the completion in quality and durability I have had other brands crumble with less than half the use of my G&H.
As far as life like looks go that's personal preference if you don't like them , you don't like them , but I know for a fact the birds do like them.
And just what a bird see's well I don't think any one can tell you , but I've had hundreds if not thousands of ducks sit right next to them on the water.
In point of fact on numerous occasions I've had on old Suzzie sit down and start talking to them.
And the majority of the guys I know that use them love them.
I know I'm sold by my experience and its been with hundreds not a dozen or two.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby chrisss » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:48 am

Any one knows where to find float heads for this brand have some old geese bodies and need heads
chrisss
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 am

I purchased some from G&H a few years back
G&H Decoys, Inc.
P.O. Box 1208
Henryetta, OK 74437
USA
(918)652-3314
(800)443-3269
info@ghdecoys.com
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby duck501 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Im with legband.
duck501
hunter

Postby iamduckhead » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 pm

started buying my own decoys in the 70's (g&h, herters,carrylite,flambeau, Neumann&bennett,victor, quack and others I didn't know who made)all the way to using todays latest and greatest. Imho there is no perfect decoy out there, they all have or had flaws.
iamduckhead
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:57 am

iamduckhead wrote:started buying my own decoys in the 70's (g&h, herters,carrylite,flambeau, Neumann&bennett,victor, quack and others I didn't know who made)all the way to using todays latest and greatest. Imho there is no perfect decoy out there, they all have or had flaws.

Well we all know your right about that , no perfect decoy , or gun , or truck , or anything but some are head and shoulders above the rest and G&H is one of those and if you have problems they will take care of them , I know they have done it for me.
And they are American Made and that means something to me as well.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 am

I have G&H mallards from 1995 ( I put year purchased and last name on all mine ), bluebills from 1998, geese from 1999 and black ducks from 2005. Shot birds over the mallards last weekend .

Yes, the paint scheme is not as bright and detailed as some newer decoys, but I can't stop using them, there is nothing wrong with them! For 10 years I used a stand up bag and divers and mallards were just thrown in, banging against each other.

I know use slot bags as it helps me keep things neat and easy to take different decoys quickly.

Yes, I have touched up the decoys, but very limited. Mostly the white areas.

Back in 1995 they were a big investment for me, they have sererved me well :beer:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 am

Rick Hall wrote:If there's a perfect decoy, I've missed it. And G&H has missed the realism boat. In fact, they've gone backwards. Never mind the debate over how much the birds do or don't care about realism, it bugs me to look at cartoonish decoys.

That pretty much sum up why I don't buy G&H.
I have a few, but they were found.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Weedwacker wrote:I have G&H mallards from 1995 ( I put year purchased and last name on all mine ), bluebills from 1998, geese from 1999 and black ducks from 2005. Shot birds over the mallards last weekend .

Yes, the paint scheme is not as bright and detailed as some newer decoys, but I can't stop using them, there is nothing wrong with them! For 10 years I used a stand up bag and divers and mallards were just thrown in, banging against each other.

I know use slot bags as it helps me keep things neat and easy to take different decoys quickly.

Yes, I have touched up the decoys, but very limited. Mostly the white areas.

Back in 1995 they were a big investment for me, they have sererved me well :beer:

Yea most of the hard core hunters I know all use G&H the birds work them well and they hold up , if I hunted less maybe the pretty ones would work for a while but I journaled 95 days in the field last year for waterfowl and the Chinese decoys just won't do it .
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

G&H Decoys

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I won't argue the longevity of G&H. We have some that we have been running since the 70's. They are, however, not the most appealing decoy on the market. There are two brands out there that I prefer to the henriettan. G&H are good, but for what you pay for a design that hasn't changed in 35 years you can do better. You certainly can have a tough decoy that doesn't look like a cartoon character.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Legband#1 wrote:Yea most of the hard core hunters I know all use G&H .

In all seriousness, nearly all of the hardcore hunters I know run Flambeaus. And I'm talking about guys guiding every open season day for decades. I'm the only guide I know who owns G&Hs, let alone runs them. (Which I do in teal season, when realism counts for naught.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Legband#1 wrote:Yea most of the hard core hunters I know all use G&H .

In all seriousness, nearly all of the hardcore hunters I know run Flambeaus. And I'm talking about guys guiding every open season day for decades. I'm the only guide I know who owns G&Hs, let alone runs them. (Which I do in teal season, when realism counts for naught.)

I'll second that. Flambeau was the go to decoy for decades. A large portion of what we own are the older flambeaus, and they're pretty damn tough.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 pm

ByersFarm wrote:[quote="Rick Hall"
I'll second that. Flambeau was the go to decoy for decades. A large portion of what we own are the older flambeaus, and they're pretty damn tough.

boy have they sure went down hill! I have a few Flambeaus from the early 90's that I got from the guy (family friend) who got me started on waterfowl hunting 11 years ago. So they are as old as me, and still look alright! but wow.. I really cant stand the crap flambeau is now, has some geese that turned black, crappy paint on ducks, and some that split. all while the ones that are as old as me (20) still have original paint.

VERY FEW companies make anything as durable as they did back in the day. does most of it look better? sure, but it sure doesnt hold up like it used to, the "throw-away" society has taken over everything, decoys arent made to last on purpose anymore.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:[quote="Rick Hall"

boy have they sure went down hill! I have a few Flambeaus from the early 90's that I got from the guy (family friend) who got me started on waterfowl hunting 11 years ago. So they are as old as me, and still look alright! but wow.. I really cant stand the crap flambeau is now, has some geese that turned black, crappy paint on ducks, and some that split. all while the ones that are as old as me (20) still have original paint.

VERY FEW companies make anything as durable as they did back in the day. does most of it look better? sure, but it sure doesnt hold up like it used to, the "throw-away" society has taken over everything, decoys arent made to last on purpose anymore.

I've actually been decently impressed with the newer storm fronts.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Decoy Forum