new to raleigh area

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

new to raleigh area

Postby dcfowler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:32 am

hey fellas, im new to the raleigh area. not looking to know where to hunt i will scout my own areas but my question i have really is the lakes. (jordan, falls) i have seen you dont have to have a permit but where can i find some info on where i can go in the lake itself? I Have found sites saying you can hunt but there not specific. and its obvious from reading previous posts the lake has more hunters than birds. but im from the coast and moved for work, and sometimes you just gotta scratch an itch so i might end up in there. any info would be appreciated, thanks!
dcfowler
Newb

Re: new to raleigh area

Postby fowlhntr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:06 am

ncwildlife.org will list all the boat ramps,address and gps info .Welcome and have fun :welcome:
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 am

:welcome:
If you haven't already, go to the NCWRC site and pull up the info for each game land. This will give the the rules for each gameland and the days they can be hunted. Both Jordan and Falls have some waterfowl impoundments and some require permits and others are a free for all on open hunt days. Impoundments are also rotated each year and not all of them will be flooded. There is also a game lands map for each lake which will show you the huntable areas. There are also areas which are off limits such as state park zones which you need to be aware of. Best advice is become familiar with the game land maps and then scout out some off the beaten paths to hunt. The easier the area is to access, the more hunters you will encounter, and the less productive your hunts will be.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby dcfowler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 am

i appreciate it. i work out of apex so i freuquently pass by and see areas around jordan and on occasion have been to falls of nuese i appreciate the feedback
dcfowler
Newb

Postby dcfowler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 am

i read up on the game land info but i didnt see anything about particular impoundment flooding you guys know somewhere i can find that at by chance? i guess that would be something id find in a pamplet? Thanks
dcfowler
Newb

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 am

You might be able to call and talk to someone on staff of the management area who can tell you what's flooded but most likely you're gonna have to go and look for yourself. Don't get zoned in on the impoundments because most times they attract more hunters than ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby dcfowler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 pm

yeah i kinda figured it could fill up easy. thank you though. i guess by what i read pretty much the whold lake is fair game on specified days, besides areas close to camps, houses etc.
dcfowler
Newb

Postby Cackalack Calls » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:58 pm

I live in Wake forest. Would be glad to help ya out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Cackalack Calls
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting