Quality Hunt Locations are posted

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Quality Hunt Locations are posted

Postby Lost Fish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 am

For the ONLY hunting options in Skagit county the Quality Hunt locations are posted.

Here is the link

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/wqhp/

Good luck to eveyone and remember these sites are 15 shell limits.
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Re: Quality Hunt Locations are posted

Postby Snowgoose1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm

These are duck units and this is really nice they got these going early. Way to go!
Snowgoose1
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Burn them out before ducks show up
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 pm

So I guess only the north end gets attention from the Dept! It's pretty tiresome to always be the lowest priority and get things last. What the heck both Skagit and Whatcom are up and running but Snohomish gets the short shrift.

I guess we know where they live and hunt and its not in Snohomish county!

FIshy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:00 am

Not to defend the dept but most of the units are not open yet cause the farmers still have crops in the fields. That and most of the land down south has either a club on it or it is a houseing development.
Reb
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Lost Fish wrote:Not to defend the dept but most of the units are not open yet cause the farmers still have crops in the fields. That and most of the land down south has either a club on it or it is a houseing development.
ni

Wrong and Wrong, all of the units that were available last year have been cut and none are in a housing development!

The fact is our department has let the snohomish and king county hunters down again, while taking care of those working the program and the units that are close to their own home and hunting grounds.

FIshy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Well I guess we will have to get more then 1 day into the season to see if you get any open down there.
Reb
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:50 pm

LF,

I am glad that they got those open up north and its great if you know where they are and have scouted or hunted them in the past, but it does smack of cronyism, elitism or just plain laziness that none were opened down here before the season while all of those others are, especially because of the population density as opposed to up there.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Twice as many ducks harvested in Skagit county then Snohomoish... Seems like an easy decision as to where to focus the effort as far getting the quality sites up and running.

Don't get too bent out of shape, you're not missing much. If you'd like, come on up to Whatcom county and you can hunt all the quality sites that are open but are bone dry and void of ducks.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 am

Fishy,

At the moment we are planning to have a few of the folks fm the quality hunt program at the NW WWA meeting next month. WIll be posting something on here when I get them confirmed for the meeting.

Would be a good time for you or anyone else to express concerns or offer suggestions or learn about the hurdles the program deals with getting these lands that would normally be closed to hunters opened up to try to spread everyone out a little more.
Reb
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 am

As in Whatcom, the sites in Skagit are dry also. I would like to attend that meeting with the guys who set these up. My question would be: Why do they plant so much barley on these state areas. It would seem logical that barley would draw ducks, but I have never actually seen them feeding on it. Nor have I seen evidence of waterfowl feeding on barley around here. If ducks don't eat barley, why plant it? I suspect the old "barley for ducks" program bit the dust for this reason but that is just conjecture on my part.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 pm

skagitduckwacker wrote:As in Whatcom, the sites in Skagit are dry also. I would like to attend that meeting with the guys who set these up. My question would be: Why do they plant so much barley on these state areas. It would seem logical that barley would draw ducks, but I have never actually seen them feeding on it. Nor have I seen evidence of waterfowl feeding on barley around here. If ducks don't eat barley, why plant it? I suspect the old "barley for ducks" program bit the dust for this reason but that is just conjecture on my part.

Skagit,
Barley is a lot cheaper to plant than corn and the ducks love it and will keep coming back to it through the season looking for scraps once it't been eaten out. Corn will hold the birds later in the season much better and doesn't get eaten out as fast but that also depends on the volume of birds. My friends place had about 15 acres of barley cleared out by the ducks just over the weekend. Send me a pm and I can direct you to some location to show you a different perspective. You would then see that your above post would be inaccurate. Just food for thought!

Just be thankful the are up at the start of the season. I remember when this program started and I think the blinds weren't even placed at the QH locations until late Nov. early Dec. time frame. Dry now as it's sunny and nice. They should start holding water by Nov.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Knighttime25 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 pm

skagitduckwacker wrote:Why do they plant so much barley on these state areas. It would seem logical that barley would draw ducks, but I have never actually seen them feeding on it. Nor have I seen evidence of waterfowl feeding on barley around here. If ducks don't eat barley, why plant it? I suspect the old "barley for ducks" program bit the dust for this reason but that is just conjecture on my part.

A good concentration of ducks will wipe out acres of barley in a matter of days. When the northerns push down and the weather gets cold the barley fields don't last long around skagit area. Drive by a barley field here in a week or so before or after shooting hours and listen for all the evidence you will need to change your mind
Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Some additional food for thought on those complaining about where and where not the blinds are set up. If I was trying to provide a service that the public could utilize where would I place it? Just pick a field and throw one in because it's close to a large market or choose one near major food sources or flyways? Hmm tuff question. Remember these guys get X amount to spend and try to pick good locations. I image some of these locations could be duds some of the season and others hot and cold dependent on weather conditions. They may improve over time as their are placement learning curves. For liability reasons their hands may be tied as to blind placement. From being on the various forums for years, I know they see all sorts of skill sets. I am sure the DFW has to really sell some of these locations due to some people not following the rules. If you piss off the farmer the QH location is on or shoot in locations your not supposed to or feel you still need to shoot your shotgun because you never even saw a duck and whack every tweetie. Their may not be a QH field near you next year. If you don't like it, hunt the bay because you probably never would have had the opportunity to hunt that QH location otherwise with out it being state sponsored. Why complain about an opportunity that they are providing to you? I am sure some of the hunters that lost those locations to the QH program would be more than happy to have their spot back. Then you would have to think about something else worth complaining about. :yes:
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Knighttime25 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm

h2ofowlr wrote: Why complain about an opportunity that they are providing to you? I am sure some of the hunters that lost those locations to the QH program would be more than happy to have their spot back. Then you would have to think about something else worth complaining about. :yes:

My thoughts exactly :yes:
Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby Snowgoose1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Well stated h2o, We have got back some of our hunt properties due to the fact the owners were tired of all the litter and the wrong type of hunters doing the wrong things. Farmers get really upset when they see a few beer cans. It's so hard to get property approved and yet some people make it so easy to lose it.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting