I managed to get pictures between rain showers last night.
If you take a hard look a the photo you will see how little the different densities of material change the overall look of the ghillie. The front of the pod has a very dense packing of long materials. This section of the pod took 3 rolls by itself. The left leg along the opening was tied into the matrix in this pattern.
X | X | X
_ _ _
X | X | X
_ _ _
X | X | X
The strands were all about 15 inches long and tied in at varying points in the length of the strand. This gives an under layer effect to the ghillie with the taller strands standing up nicely when dry. This method gives the ghillie depth. It also eats up material at a prodigous rate.
If you look at the right leg of the ghillie along the opening you will notice it is taller and a bit wider at the front end and tapers to the far end. I intentionally tied this with 15 inch bundles at the front end and steadily dropped the lenght down to 9 inches at the far end to see what effect it would have on the look and coverage.
The right leg of the ghillie was tied into the matrix in this pattern. This tie in pattern provides good coverage at the shortest bundle length with the staggered tie in patterns and occasional longer bundles tied in to provide a rougher look to the ghillie. This section obviously took the least amount of material. After finishing this section out I kicked myself for not doing it in reverse. I would have used around 1/2 of the material.
X | - | X | - |
- | X | - | X |
X | - | X | - |
Close up of the bow of the pod - very heay denisty with long bundles. This pictures also shows the taller right leg section and the difference between a very dense and a light tie in density at the same lengths. The bow was tied with the majority of the colors being kept together in groupings. I varied the color patterns and mixes to see which ones I like best. I still have to make a green early season ghillie for the pod and wanted to have some better ideas for it.
This picture shows the stern end of the pod with moderate density tie ins and mixed lengths of bundles with most being 12 inches or a bit longer. Staggered lengths on the ties were used. This section of the ghillie is where I started working the colors together instead of keeing them to individual groupings of color. I really liked the effect of the mixed colors and will be using it on future ghillies.
This is the left leg of the ghillie just behind the bow. I used the moderately dense packing tie ins with the colors being varied in bands for this part of the ghillie. The bundles varied from 8 inches to 15 inches in this portion of the ghillie.
This is the other half of the left ghillie leg. I carried out the color pattern with a mixing of the colors on the right of the picture to see if I liked it and distinct bands of color on the the rest. It also shows the blend of the medium density ties in on the left leg to the tie in with the light density tie ins used on the stern. You can see a clear delineation where the last Kraft colored band blends into the mixed color sections at the green / tan boundary on the stern.
The next photo shows the very short and growing length sections of the right leg of the ghillie near the stern. These bundles averaged 8 to 10 inches in length with varied ties in lengths. This section of the ghillie recieved an emphasis on Kraft and Oatmeal colors with a mixed colors emphasized.
The last photo shows the Kraft and Oatmeal color emphasis with very light mixes of other color blending. This section shows a clear change in the look where I made a rapid transition from 10 inch and under bundle lengths to 12 to 15 inch long bundles with varied tie in lengths.
My end analysis is.
1. I wasted a lot of unnecessary material on the ghillie
2. Using an every other grid - alternated row tie in will provide adequate coverage
3. Using 8 to 10 inch bundles with the every other grid / altered tie in provides adequate coverage
4. I like the look and density of the longer alteranted tie in the best.
5. Heavy density tie in patterns forces the material to all lay down and wastes alot of material
6 Mixed colors look the best to the eye
7. Mixed colors are not always the best pattern to match your environment
8. I will be making the next ghillie with an every other grid / alternated tie in with 12 to 15 inch bundles
I am not sure how the material will stand up to heavy use. I will keep the thread updated as we move through the season.