Shotgun for 8 year old?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Shotgun for 8 year old?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:03 pm

BBK wrote:
glen1978 wrote:Maybe your right, me and the g/f have been back and forth about it. I keep thinking if he aint in the action, wet and cold is gona turn him against it. I can say for me if all I could do is go and watch I wouldnt be going.

Maybe you need to re-think why he wants to go. Does he want to kill something or be in the outdoors spending time with you? Two totally different things. Sounds like you are the type that goes to kill some birds, nothing wrong with that.. just make sure which type he is. When I was young I LOVED to go with my dad in the boat, just to watch. I did it from when I was 7 until I was 12. At 12 I got to shoot for the first time, one shell in an 870 youth. It wasn't about killing birds for my father, his group, or me. It was about being outdoors.

7 going on 8 is way too young. If you take him you won't be hunting. You'll be holding the gun and taking care of him... At his age, a single shot .410 and water swatting is about all he is going to be able to do. You'll likely have to help him load it, cock it, and aim it.

Depends. I can't speak for someone else but I was hunting every weekend with my dad at 4. 8 I got my hunter safety card and a pump. By that time I could identify birds better than most around me....still can. Early years my shooting wasn't up to par. At 9 I got a beretta 390 20ga and it was lights out difference in my shooting. 9 I was putting boats on the trailer for dad. 10 he would have me run the boat while he deployed the long lines. 13 I got my boaters card and dad gave me a 7 mile area on Erie that I could go with my GPS. Trust me i can show you every rock pile in the western basin after that. Lol 15 I started hunting a little by myself. 16 I was fully hunting by myself and by 17 I was running layout boats all over Erie.

So some kids can mentally handle it at a younger age. Sounds like this kid is pretty mutire for his age. Biggest thing is to set him up for success... I.e boat blind or any blind for that matter where he can be close to you. Maybe if you worried about him getting wet you may want to look into field hunting with him.

Trust me kids love to be part of the hunt. Get him out there setting decoys, adding camo to the blinds, start introducing him to call and you will see the seed take root in him. Just my .02
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Blackcloud5 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Browning gold 10 gauge :thumbsup:
Cut Em
Blackcloud5
hunter

Postby greyson1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Both Remington & mossberg make a youth Jr. compact 20 ga with 12" lop & 18" barrel, either would be a good choice for him. As already mentioned in another post, keep it basic with one shell at a time and a lot of work on basics/safety. Lots of clays to get his confidence up will also help :yes:
My boy was almost 9 when I took this video of his first time shooting his Remington 20 ga youth, he's now 10 and shooting my 12 ga o/u by choice without a problem :beer:

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 88b578.mp4
"Can't never did anything! So don't listen to them... They wouldn't know good owl manure if they were standing in it!"
Arthur J. VerStraete (1920-2009)
greyson1
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:39 am

I did not start hunting till i was ten which is the legal limit in wisconsin. When i was nine i was brought on a duck hunt and turkey hunt just to see what it was like. I learned alot. Even thought the weather was really cold for bother of them, it wasnt enough to turn me off of hunting. Wait until hes confortable shooting that 20 g 870. Right now just bring him along and teach him. Hell be better prepared for the future.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:51 pm

glen1978 wrote: He can shoot my Remington .308.

Can he shoot it, comfortably, twenty times?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Cold » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:06 pm

mudpack wrote:
glen1978 wrote: He can shoot my Remington .308.

Can he shoot it, comfortably, twenty times?

Does he need to?

How long does he have to shoot 20 shots? What if he can only shoot it comfortably 19 times? How comfortably is comfortably? Honestly, I bet if I sat down and ripped off 20 shots in a row with a .308, my shoulder would feel it. Does that mean I'm not ready for a 20 ga.?

I think I see what you're getting at, but isn't it a bit myopic to start placing random, arbitrary requirements for a specific individual case? Especially one that most if not all who are discussing are not in any way familiar with?
Cold
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Your call on maturity. Both of my boys started shooting 20 gauge at 8. Tried them all mossberg bantam youth. Great little gun for kids. They both duck hunted with me everyday I went from 6/7 years old. May not be able to pump yet but that's fine.safer than an auto. My youngest is 10 now and can pump out three shells with the best of them. Don't miss a beat. Not bragging just saying its possible. Yeah your hunting will change. Making sure he has a good base to stand. Getting ready for when birds coming. Talking him through it. Etc. you probably won't shoot as many but he will. But that's learning/teaching. Right? What a joy it is to enjoy the true happiness of a kid hunting! Posted before but what kids can do and do safely. 9 and 10 years old youth day

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382402239.748937.jpg
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I would never let a 8 year old hunt in my boat but that's just me .I don't care how every one says there mature for 8 they still have the brain of a 8 year old. The first year Utah drop the age limit on small game a 8 our 9 year old tripped and blew a hole threw his uncle .I hope it works out for you :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:39 am

cootlover wrote:I would never let a 8 year old hunt in my boat but that's just me .I don't care how every one says there mature for 8 they still have the brain of a 8 year old. The first year Utah drop the age limit on small game a 8 our 9 year old tripped and blew a hole threw his uncle .I hope it works out for you :thumbsup:

our laws are such that you the licence holder MUST be able to take control/over from young un using a firearm under your supervision at all times.
personally I like a youngun to shoot from my boat. I set them up with cripples and load for them then let em shoot over front of boat at close range 15-20yards. they get bang and get birds.
our son started off that way and now at 13 he hunts as an equal, just within sight and call at all times.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:03 am

cootlover wrote:I would never let a 8 year old hunt in my boat but that's just me .I don't care how every one says there mature for 8 they still have the brain of a 8 year old. The first year Utah drop the age limit on small game a 8 our 9 year old tripped and blew a hole threw his uncle .I hope it works out for you :thumbsup:

Has worked out great!!! Got an 18 year that I don't worry about going hunting. Because he hunted with me since he was 6.My youngest well I had rather hunt with him than most adults I know! Safety is always an issue,kids or adults. Taught mine from day 1 if I ask and your safety is off. Unload.might have happened a few times but became priority. Hunted with a lot of adults that its not. Flicking safety on/off. Ask if its on and they laugh. More hunter problems come from not hunting as kids They get old enough to drive,dad let's them go hunting not a clue what they are doing! See it all them time. Kudos to all who posted about hunting with kids early! Teach them the right way and that's how they will always be! Have had to back boats in for ADULTS because never been much. Take them young and learning becomes a process. Wait till they older and they think they know it all. Kids are curious they want to know why you do things a certain way. To all that are not taking their kids,quit being selfish if they want to go take them. Your way of hunting will change,but you will be developing an informed,passionate,safe,hunter for the rest of us to hunt with. My .02. I know opinions are like butt holes.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:50 am

Such accidents are not exclusive to kids. Similar things have happened with experienced adults. When I hunted with my young son my hunting/shooting was always secondary to safety. If I left the blind he was required to unload.

Some kids have a very strong drive others do not. Mine would never tell me if he was cold/hungry/thirsty. I found out if I made it "my" issue (I'm cold) then he would be willing to agree otherwise he would just tough it out. You also can't make it 100% about hunting. Throwing some rocks at decoys or looking for game trails in the cattails all add to the experience and help keep their attention.....
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:08 am

too true about adults and safety!!!
the worst guys Ive hunted with had some military training...not active service like just a little like your reserves.
muzzle control was friggin terrible always sweeping past someone :mad:
after they got sick of us ducking n diving and screaming "muzzle control muzzle control muzzle control" well the hint got desired effect.
kids are much easier as has been said.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I started my girl out at 12 years old like I did I just think its a good age but that's just me. I took out hunting with me just no guns . In Utah there is no age limit as long as they can pass the test they get a hunter safety card .
cootlover
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Well we went out opening weekend. HE LOVED IT!! Granted its still not really cold yet but he really had a good time. He cant fully control any of the youth shotguns I have let him handle at the stores yet but the little single shot Rossi's fit him great. Gona let him go with me the first part of the split with nothing. Then second half he is gona cary his BB gun. Thinking of getting him the single shot for Christmas and let him go with it till the end of the season.
glen1978
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:49 am

sounds great. we can get the rossi with 2 barrels one .410 and a .22lr havent seen the need for the combo myself as we already had a good .22 but its not a bad option for later on.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 am

On the single shot, a 28 ga may be another consideration. I believe H&R makes a youth model 28 ga single shot. The downside is you might have to order shells online and the largest shot size I have seen is #6, but that is still adequate for short range ducks.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum