Looking to buy a acrylic call...Need advice.

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Looking to buy a acrylic call...Need advice.

Postby Grafke07 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 pm

First off hello there! Im new to the forum after searching on google for advice on duck calls i came to this site very often. So i figured why not become a member and ask questions.

Well im looking to buy an acrylic call. I do have some calling experience but nowa days i dont hunt with the old man so i have to do all the calling :eek: . I joined the military and moved away from home and now am looking into getting my first "nice" call. My old man recommends Sean Mann calls. He has hunted with him a few times i think thats why =P. Just looking on some advice on what call to get when im not the best caller in the world. Thanks for any help out there!!!
Grafke07
Newb

Re: Looking to buy a acrylic call...Need advice.

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Go to cabelas or bass pro or Mack's PW or whatever is close to you and blow every call in the case and pick the one that's best for you.

You can pick them up cheaper here off the classifieds forum that there in the store.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Rnt short barrel is a great beginning call that youll never quit using. In all honesty call stump with rm calls. Guy will throw together whatever color scheme you want. Quality of his calls cosmetic and sound are inferior to none. You'll have a great acrylic call built to your liking and built by a great call maker that does it by hand simply can't beat it.
sooner737
hunter

Postby Grafke07 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Wow, yeah i like to look of RM calls i will have to give them a buzz in the morning! Im sure he will know which one is good for a kinda newer caller =P
Grafke07
Newb

Postby sooner737 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Guarantee you won't regret it. He'll prob set you up with a gold digger. Careful its addicting
sooner737
hunter

Postby Grafke07 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah his calls look good! I have never worked a single reed thats the only thing that makes me nervous.
Grafke07
Newb

Postby MSduckslayer2013 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:44 am

we need to know what kind of areas you will be hunting to be more exact!
personally i believe anything from the echo line of calls will be perfect! they arent hard to blow and sound way above average!!!
MSduckslayer2013
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Shawn Mann is a real d bag, IMO. Talked with him a few times and always got the urge to kick a kitten afterwards! Look seriously into ducklander calls. They are on the cheaper side of the nice calls but damn are they nice. I have the Lt and that little joker can flat out scream! Ordering a quiet timber to go along with it, I'm sold on their calls and they are made right here in eastern ks!
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Max4Holly wrote:Shawn Mann is a real d bag, IMO. Talked with him a few times and always got the urge to kick a kitten afterwards! Look seriously into ducklander calls. They are on the cheaper side of the nice calls but damn are they nice. I have the Lt and that little joker can flat out scream! Ordering a quiet timber to go along with it, I'm sold on their calls and they are made right here in eastern ks!

Seriously??? Ive known Shawn for awhile and hes nothing but a class act.

Stump
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:31 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
Max4Holly wrote:Shawn Mann is a real d bag, IMO. Talked with him a few times and always got the urge to kick a kitten afterwards! Look seriously into ducklander calls. They are on the cheaper side of the nice calls but damn are they nice. I have the Lt and that little joker can flat out scream! Ordering a quiet timber to go along with it, I'm sold on their calls and they are made right here in eastern ks!

Seriously??? Ive known Shawn for awhile and hes nothing but a class act.

Stump

X2...when I met Sean last October he was super nice and welcoming. Definitely took time to talk and is as knowledgeable as anyone else in the sport :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Grafke07 wrote:Yeah his calls look good! I have never worked a single reed thats the only thing that makes me nervous.

I wouldn't be too nervous about a single reed. For years I blew a double before I bought my first single, and I'm glad I did. For me, I can get more different sounds out of a single, and they seem more versatile to me. It took a little getting used to, but wasn't that big of a transition.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby Grafke07 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:42 am

I spoke with Stump from RM (over email) and will probably be placing and order tomorrow. From what I have heard he has great calls. Plus they look sharp :yes:

Next question is should I go wood or acrylic or what does everyone think? (first good call I will ever have bought)
Grafke07
Newb

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:18 am

I personally prefer the fine grade of wood that you can get calls made from plus when you have one made by someone like Stump you can be assured of its quality. Stabilized burls or even acrylic sleeved if its needed are options.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Grafke07 wrote:I spoke with Stump from RM (over email) and will probably be placing and order tomorrow. From what I have heard he has great calls. Plus they look sharp :yes:

Next question is should I go wood or acrylic or what does everyone think? (first good call I will ever have bought)

Wood barrel and acrylic insert is my favorite :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 am

Wood looks and sounds better to me.
Ask Stump to make you a all hedge call you will not be sorry.
You will never out grow the call.........it can handle anything you put into it ,no matter how good you get on a call. :yes:
It will be a call that can be passed down to family years from now..............unless you grow so fond of it that you want to be buried with it. :beer: :lol3: :thumbsup:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 am

I think you should take a look ABC double Reed timber. Double reeds are easier to blow n you will find no finer one on the market than the ABC. I have the ABC Timber in wood n Acrylic.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum