Western Shore Duck Hunting

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Western Shore Duck Hunting

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am

A member pointed out to me that I type more about the other side so with this thread I hope to make a change . In my opinion (we all will have one) the Western Shore Blind Laws turn market hunters' kids into waterfowler sportmen . When I speak of the WS I'm talking about the land that fall East of all highway bridges from the James North to the state line . Anything West of them are in the area where the blind laws start breaking down with too many stakeholders . Hunting in the 60's was a whole lot different than today , with very few blinds and no homes on the shoreline one could walk all day in the marshes shooting birds without seeing anybody and bait was the best duck call . Back then one was legal to shoot 30 after the set which never really ended , how days I unload the gun and start pulling decoys while scouting for the next days hunt . For me a duck blind is a place to take a break , get out of the cold, cook, and store gear, these days I only go in my own . Western shore baiting today is done by landowners to keep hunters away more so than by outlaw gunners b/c over the years the number of license blinds has climbed and made the waterfowler a watchdog of outlaws of any kind within 1000 yards of each blind . Yes most fixed blind owner stereotype floaters and see them as up to no good .
Ice means two things for the WS hunter # 1 is waterfowl in huntable numbers and # 2 Float hunters following the birds but thanks to open water and fixed blind with hunters in them things work out good here . It's the river hunters West of the bridges that over tax the system and cause habit for all to deal with .
:eek: The blind door is open for a discussion of what I call the Western shore , please give the left and right side a break :clapping:

:bow: LD :welcome:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Re: Western Shore Duck Hunting

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 am

I think blind laws are seeing end of life in the next 10 years. I personally love the mobility of my floater but nothing beats a hunt out of a nice warm, dry blind you and a couple friends put together.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:35 am

I see a day when you will have to get a building permit for a blind to ensure safety in the guys who will be using your blind without permission too. Then, insurance will have to be carried on the blind because some knucklehead may get hurt or killed in a blind owned by someone else. I like the no tresspassing laws in place now.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:21 am

I can see changes made with the laws for blinds West of the bridges but blind laws will outlast the right to hunt here in Va. . I can see the day when a floating blind license will be sold by county instead of state for it would help slow down the over shooting of a spot and make more money for dgif to use.
The WS starves for birds b/c the birds are coming down the coast or hung up in the rivers of the 5 state system and without blind laws the float hunters would force waterfowl out of this state in a matter of a few days .

:yes: LD :hammer:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 am

News flash. You're on the coast.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 am

LEWDOG wrote:A member pointed out to me that I type more about the other side so with this thread I hope to make a change . In my opinion (we all will have one) the Western Shore Blind Laws turn market hunters' kids into waterfowler sportmen . When I speak of the WS I'm talking about the land that fall East of all highway bridges from the James North to the state line . Anything West of them are in the area where the blind laws start breaking down with too many stakeholders . Hunting in the 60's was a whole lot different than today , with very few blinds and no homes on the shoreline one could walk all day in the marshes shooting birds without seeing anybody and bait was the best duck call . Back then one was legal to shoot 30 after the set which never really ended , how days I unload the gun and start pulling decoys while scouting for the next days hunt . For me a duck blind is a place to take a break , get out of the cold, cook, and store gear, these days I only go in my own . Western shore baiting today is done by landowners to keep hunters away more so than by outlaw gunners b/c over the years the number of license blinds has climbed and made the waterfowler a watchdog of outlaws of any kind within 1000 yards of each blind . Yes most fixed blind owner stereotype floaters and see them as up to no good .
Ice means two things for the WS hunter # 1 is waterfowl in huntable numbers and # 2 Float hunters following the birds but thanks to open water and fixed blind with hunters in them things work out good here . It's the river hunters West of the bridges that over tax the system and cause habit for all to deal with .
:eek: The blind door is open for a discussion of what I call the Western shore , please give the left and right side a break :clapping:

:bow: LD :welcome:

wut
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:56 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:News flash. You're on the coast.

I'm on the bay shore of the mainland the coast of Va. is about 20 miles to the East of me , we call it the Atlantic coast .

:fingerhead: LD :lol3:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Heres my opinion, being I've hunted the Western Shore of the Bay my entire life. Duck blinds laws are needed in this area as theres entirely too many people hunting now days. When there were lots of ducks years ago (late 70's-Early 80's), many days you never heard or saw another hunter. Its different now, EVERYONE is into duck hunting. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but alot of "newer" guys are giving the sport some negative feed back. In this day and age, waterfowlers do not need any one going down the marsh and acting up like a bunch of crazy people. It takes alot of hard work, time and a good amount of $$$ to hunt in this area of the Bay and I don't see things getting any better. Theres still places to be found to hunt successfully around these parts but you are going to have to think out the box and come up with alternative game plans and strategies for different birds and changing weather. This area's waterfowling is based on seasonal weather fronts and theres some days when I would not want to be any where in the world than down home in the marsh. The Western Shore is a unique place to hunt and hopefully, I'll be hunting and passing our traditions down to my children for years to come. :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 pm

LEWDOG wrote:
Have Gun Will Travel wrote:News flash. You're on the coast.

I'm on the bay shore of the mainland the coast of Va. is about 20 miles to the East of me , we call it the Atlantic coast .

:fingerhead: LD :lol3:

Now see boy, I thought you were onto something when you looked up the definition of irrelevant. Try google one more time there limpdog. Its odd to me that you dont consider yourself on the coast. When you look up "coastal map of virginia" there isnt a single image or map that doesnt include the western coast, I mean shore, of the bay.....and to make it better Matthews is in the dead center of them as well. I guess you know better than 90% of the maratime map/chart makers....you were in the Dept of Transportation at one time and all. I guess they didnt teach you the difference in the general term "coast" and the more descriptive "pelagic" coast.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coastal ... =556&dpr=1
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:33 pm

VDOT is coming out with a new shovel with a built in head rest for their workers,will cut down on neck injury's from bad posture leaning on shovel. :lol: :thumbsup: :fingerpt:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:02 pm

you guys all on the same cycle or something? go shoot some ducks :sniper:

getting pretty lame around these parts with all the bickering....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Or just post a hunter wanted ad on here to satisfy some other needs. Only kidding guys. I am just glad I am not involved this week. It is almost as if no one "loves" me anymore.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:32 pm

gooosehunter wrote:Or just post a hunter wanted ad on here to satisfy some other needs. Only kidding guys. I am just glad I am not involved this week. It is almost as if no one "loves" me anymore.

there you go poking again goose.... A dog can only be poked soo many times before he snaps at ya... :lol:

couldnt resist....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Just figured it was my turn. :wink:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 pm

For the last time Sport the only coast I give 3 dangs about is the one that runs from way up North all the way down South and the best I can tell you is to get over it .

:sarcmark: LD :rolleyes:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:12 am

so wait a minute guys im confused, i live in va and lew lives on the west coast so do i live on the east coast or the west coast, also im west of 95 so does that mean if i cross over 95 ill be at the beach or back in va :huh:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:00 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:so wait a minute guys im confused, i live in va and lew lives on the west coast so do i live on the east coast or the west coast, also im west of 95 so does that mean if i cross over 95 ill be at the beach or back in va :huh:

:hi: My head hurts AND I might be stupid .... :rolleyes: `cause I don`t know if I need medication or education :rolleyes: ....AND ain`t NOBODY for sure gonna :fingerpt: "FIX' :fingerpt: me :fingerpt: !!!TALK ABOUT CONFUSION IMA... :clapping: :clapping: :grooving:
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting