Float Blind Stakes

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:18 pm

So I hear there were a bunch of duck commanders on Back Bay this morning blasting away at the blind stakes. I guess they do not have any understanding of the rules and regulations on hunting as described in the VDGIF handbook. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO HUNT THE BLIND STAKES ON OFF DAYS, TYPICALLY TUESDAY, THURSDAY and SUNDAY.

The hunting on the stakes remains Opening day, monday, Wednesday, Saturday and state holidday during the season. Regardless if there is a draw hunt or not. I am sure there will be a few out there hunting this Sunday too. Since they came from a state where hunting is legal on Sunday, they feel it should be here too.

Let the bashing of Dave S begin.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia


Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:44 pm

ANTI-SUNDAY-STAKEBLIND SKYBLASTER offically needs to be added to your sig!

GEEZ, bet you were no fun to hang out with in high school :lol3:
User avatar
lbhansford
hunter
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am
Location: yorktown VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby cbrtrvr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:17 pm

If Im not mistaken isnt this season open at the stakes first come first serve?
cbrtrvr
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby bay gunner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Its Back Bay. Them boys who are shooting the marshes on off days know the laws, don't care about em, and never will. Its catch em if you can out there. Anyone who hunts the bay knows this.
bay gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Do you ever think to yourself, "Maybe I am smarter than everybody else."?

What did those guys hurt? Did they get a ticket? Did the judge find them guilty and fine them?

Maybe they did read the law and they're OK.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:48 am
Location: VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Well, I was fun in high school
No you cannot hunt the floating blind stakes on off days. If you think you can I will surely arrange a meeting between you and LT Scott Naff with the DGIF. I requested legal clarification on this subject from them last season. If you like I will forward the 24 emails back and forth between me and the enforcement officer. pm for details

Don't get me wrong. I 100% disagree with it not being open every day during teal good and the first segment.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 pm

And yes it is open to first come first serve for the early seasons
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby cbrtrvr » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:06 pm

So if its open during the early season where is the complaint in this post?
cbrtrvr
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby nickp9797 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 am

cbrtrvr wrote:So if its open during the early season where is the complaint in this post?


He means its first come first serve on hunt days, not everyday (same hunt days as the regular season, but no drawing first). You and I both know who is putting out lanterns the night before and hunting it on off days, and its not people driving from all over the state. Its the people close from private ramps and knotts island.
nickp9797
hunter
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Suffolk, Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:37 am

I like the guy that showed up 3 minutes before LST and sat on the marsh 263 yards away from us. Not only encroaching us, but also two other blinds.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

i had always understood that you could hunt any day during teal and october season. The set days were in regular season
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:11 am

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby fowl mouth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 am

I think this is a perfect example of the unclarity of our regs. I don't hunt out there but I also don't know where I can find those rules either if I wanted to hunt there.
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
User avatar
fowl mouth
State Moderator
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Newport News VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:31 pm

From the Dept of Game and Inlad Fisheries last season....
"Dave,
You can hunt on opening day, Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and state holidays during the September Canada goose - teal seasons and the October waterfowl season at the Princess Anne WMA float blind sites. Hunters may not tie up to stakes until 5:00 am and can hunt until 1:00 pm. Stakes are available on a first come, first served basis. Some stakes were damaged during the hurricane and the placards may be missing. You may still hunt these spots if you know the coordinates. The placards will be replaced before the general waterfowl seasons.

The rules are generally the same for the impoundments for these seasons.

Good luck,
Phil West"

Dave.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm

The information shown blelow is from the DGIF website...The part below where it states HUNT DAYS: Opening day, Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and State Holidays is pretty clear to me.

Princess Anne WMA Float Blind September Canada Goose/Teal Hunts and October Waterfowl
Hunt September Canada geese/teal and waterfowl (during the October waterfowl season) on the Princess Anne WMA in Virginia Beach. The area's 55 float blind stakes are available to float blind hunters on a first come, first served basis. Hunters are not allowed to tie to float blinds to stakes before 5:00 A.M. Half-day (until 1:00 P.M.) hunting allowed on Opening Day, Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and State Holidays. It is recommended that each hunting party visit the hunting area prior to the season to locate boat access, blind stakes, and scout the area in general. You must be familiar with the area to locate the blind stakes before shooting time. Dogs are allowed and recommended.

•Hunt days: Opening Day, Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and State Holidays. :hammer:
•Hunt dates:
◦September Geese: September TBA, 2013
◦September Teal: September TBA, 2013
◦October Waterfowl: October TBA, 2013 (No Sunday Hunting)
•Hunters may not tie up to blind stakes until 5:00 A.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby fowl mouth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:36 pm

oh there they are. :lol3:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
User avatar
fowl mouth
State Moderator
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Newport News VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby Backbay1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:36 pm

I agree there are issues with the float blind days but does it really matter for a short season. The real problem are the people spending night and shining lights everywhere, go down to the boat ramp and check out the people there they are not locals. I think if we people keep complaining they will take more away from us then they already have and I for one do not want to see that.
Backbay1
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:39 am

I agree BackBay1. The early season should be open everyday. No sense in having one day closed on the October season at all.

spotlights will run the birds off the marsh faster than shooting.

There was one boat out there with six spotlights. It looked like the sun coming up. I use a flashlight and went just over idle speed for the treck to the blind.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

Backbay1 wrote:I agree there are issues with the float blind days but does it really matter for a short season. The real problem are the people spending night and shining lights everywhere, go down to the boat ramp and check out the people there they are not locals. I think if we people keep complaining they will take more away from us then they already have and I for one do not want to see that.



You're right, in that most locals don't use the boat ramp, and they are the ones putting lights up on the stakes. Let's get real, a few ignorant locals are the majority of the problem. Its the local mentality of "my grandpappy used to guide out here in 1890, so I can do what I want to". The same reason alot of the locals whine and complain about the blind laws, they don't want any "come-heres" to hunt "thier" bay, that is, unless you're paying for a guided hunt with a "local".

I can tell you this, the teal and goose hunts and Oct season will be likely be part of the lottery next year, no question about it. With a special thanks to some of the locals.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 am

gooosehunter wrote:I agree BackBay1. The early season should be open everyday. No sense in having one day closed on the October season at all.

spotlights will run the birds off the marsh faster than shooting.

There was one boat out there with six spotlights. It looked like the sun coming up. I use a flashlight and went just over idle speed for the treck to the blind.



You know what runs off ducks more than spotlights? It's those "conservation minded" locals that don't use spotlights, but they shoot a roost until 8 pm and then bait what's left so that can shoot them the next day. I'm freakin' sick of this "locals know best" crap. Oh, how about the hunting the stakes on the off days or after hours? You think this is the military dude who applied for the hunt? Probably not, its the ever present outlaw locals who know that after 1 pm, the marshes are a ghost-town and they have them to themselves. The locals that you -goooooooooosehunter-claim to be (but are everyone knows that you are not) "accidently" hunted the bay on Wed last week? No, they know that a game warden won't be out there if the season isn't in. Do you think the non-locals are the ones pressing the stationary blind proximity issues with the WMA lands? Nope, its the lovely locals who know the blind laws well enough to know that a float stake doesn't technically count as a blind and therefore doesn't have any rights asssociated with it. They are ones pressing the VDGIF to possibly build blinds or make it like Hog Island where no blinds at all can be within 500-1000 yards of the WMA. Give me a freaking break dude.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:
gooosehunter wrote:I agree BackBay1. The early season should be open everyday. No sense in having one day closed on the October season at all.

spotlights will run the birds off the marsh faster than shooting.

There was one boat out there with six spotlights. It looked like the sun coming up. I use a flashlight and went just over idle speed for the treck to the blind.



You know what runs off ducks more than spotlights? It's those "conservation minded" locals that don't use spotlights, but they shoot a roost until 8 pm and then bait what's left so that can shoot them the next day. I'm freakin' sick of this "locals know best" crap. Oh, how about the hunting the stakes on the off days or after hours? You think this is the military dude who applied for the hunt? Probably not, its the ever present outlaw locals who know that after 1 pm, the marshes are a ghost-town and they have them to themselves. The locals that you -goooooooooosehunter-claim to be (but are everyone knows that you are not) "accidently" hunted the bay on Wed last week? No, they know that a game warden won't be out there if the season isn't in. Do you think the non-locals are the ones pressing the stationary blind proximity issues with the WMA lands? Nope, its the lovely locals who know the blind laws well enough to know that a float stake doesn't technically count as a blind and therefore doesn't have any rights asssociated with it. They are ones pressing the VDGIF to possibly build blinds or make it like Hog Island where no blinds at all can be within 500-1000 yards of the WMA. Give me a freaking break dude.



Well, I know for a fact the non local guys are the ones who hunt the marsh on off days as I have discussed it with many of them over the years and they say, "where we come from you can hunt this way...". I have told them to not get caught because the it is a citable offence to be hunting the stakes or the state marsh on off days.
Are there locals guys who cause problems, sure. I dont know any, but I am sure they exist.
I did not say anyone hunted back bay on wednesday. Someone else did and it was somewhere else in VA. I done know where exactly.
You are correct, I am not a local of "Pungo, but did grew up in Va Beach. So, I guess I am a local of sorts. I have been hunting the bay since 1981. Maybe it would help your cause if you wrote the sentence in English so I could better understand what you are saying. It's like a three year old wrote that post.
The state can try to build blinds on the bay all they want, but the established blinds will remain in their current location. The DGIF cannot make them move as easy as you think. There are only a certain number of blinds allowed on the bay due to an agreement with the federal government. Maybe this is why the state is not allowing people to get the blinds lost over the past two years.
I am not looking to get into a debate with you because you seem to have some kind of chip on your shoulder. Good day.

Forgot to give you a break...here you go. BREAK! :crying:
You must be another "Have not" and we locals are so tired of you guys too. So, I guess we are even now. Cheers and have a lovely afternoon.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby nickp9797 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:59 am

FYI the state can build blinds on the property they OWN, therefore kicking out any blinds that are within 500 yards of THEIR property. Don't forget they make the rules. One more thing, you aren't a local either, you just hunt their like everyone else.
nickp9797
hunter
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Suffolk, Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:57 am

The DGIF does not own barbors hill or false cape. It is owned by the Department of recreation and is used by the DGIF. DGIF uses the property at the pleasure of the Governor of VA. And oh by the way, the DGIF used to have blinds. They got away from them years ago. I hunted them with the guides they used to provide too. Dang, I am getting old.
I never said or claimed to be a "local" of Pungo. But I am more local that some ducktards from northern VA, Richmond or Front Royal. Does that clear it up for you pumpkin?
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby nickp9797 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 pm

gooosehunter wrote:The DGIF does not own barbors hill or false cape. It is owned by the Department of recreation and is used by the DGIF. DGIF uses the property at the pleasure of the Governor of VA. And oh by the way, the DGIF used to have blinds. They got away from them years ago. I hunted them with the guides they used to provide too. Dang, I am getting old.
I never said or claimed to be a "local" of Pungo. But I am more local that some ducktards from northern VA, Richmond or Front Royal. Does that clear it up for you pumpkin?


No need to go off and get your panties in a bunch. Just pointing out the fact that there are consequences intentional or unintentional to people actions and complaints in regards to hunting in back bay. The days of old are gone, whether we like it or not. Being proactive and making it tolerable for everyone should be the focus, because keeping people out isn't going to happen. And I guess my opinion matters too, because I'm as much of a local as you.
nickp9797
hunter
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Suffolk, Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 pm

gooosehunter wrote:

Well, I know for a fact the non local guys are the ones who hunt the marsh on off days as I have discussed it with many of them over the years and they say, "where we come from you can hunt this way...". I have told them to not get caught because the it is a citable offence to be hunting the stakes or the state marsh on off days.
Are there locals guys who cause problems, sure. I dont know any, but I am sure they exist.
I did not say anyone hunted back bay on wednesday. Someone else did and it was somewhere else in VA. I done know where exactly.
You are correct, I am not a local of "Pungo, but did grew up in Va Beach. So, I guess I am a local of sorts. I have been hunting the bay since 1981. Maybe it would help your cause if you wrote the sentence in English so I could better understand what you are saying. It's like a three year old wrote that post.
The state can try to build blinds on the bay all they want, but the established blinds will remain in their current location. The DGIF cannot make them move as easy as you think. There are only a certain number of blinds allowed on the bay due to an agreement with the federal government. Maybe this is why the state is not allowing people to get the blinds lost over the past two years.
I am not looking to get into a debate with you because you seem to have some kind of chip on your shoulder. Good day.

Forgot to give you a break...here you go. BREAK! :crying:
You must be another "Have not" and we locals are so tired of you guys too. So, I guess we are even now. Cheers and have a lovely afternoon.




Wanna bet? Man, for someone who claims to be "in the know" with DGIF, you sure are up to speed with things are ya?
DUKSLAYA92
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Float Blind Stakes

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:05 pm

:lol: I never claimed to “Be in the know”. I just know how to read and I am pretty sure they still teach that in school. Give it a try, it may work out for you.
Good Day
Last edited by gooosehunter on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Location: Front Royal, Virginia

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron