Gheenoe repainting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Gheenoe repainting

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:17 pm

15.4 Ghenooe

I bought one and I’m getting ready to fixer up. The guy before painted and I would like to strip it down and start over. What is the best way to accomplish this with out damaging the fiberglass? I’m curious if acetone would damage the epoxy resins?

Also what would you guys use for a primer / paint for this. This will be my first duck boat blind to build so any input is greatly appreciated.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Re: Gheenoe repainting

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 pm

This was posted by another member in the state forum. Just trying to get some options for him. Thanks guys
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby pinepointer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm

I bought an old white 15'4" Gheenoe Highsider. After I repaired all the gelcoat bubbles and gouges I gave it 2 coats of Pettit Shipndek dull dead grass paint. Has held up well for 3 seasons.

More ideas go to microskiff.com and also the forum on the custom gheenoe site.

Put a 6.5 HP go-devil on it this season and very pleased
pinepointer
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 pm

pinepointer wrote:I bought an old white 15'4" Gheenoe Highsider. After I repaired all the gelcoat bubbles and gouges I gave it 2 coats of Pettit Shipndek dull dead grass paint. Has held up well for 3 seasons.

More ideas go to microskiff.com and also the forum on the custom gheenoe site.

Put a 6.5 HP go-devil on it this season and very pleased

So did you have to sand it down at all? He wants to rid of the old paint and get down to the nitty gritty. I'm not sure the process for fiberglass boats since I've only worked on aluminum hulls.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby pinepointer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:33 am

I was painting on the old gel coat so just a light sanding to ensure good paint adhesion was all I needed. If the old paint is loose or peeling better sand or strip it off. Otherwise just sand off any loose bits and paint over top.
pinepointer
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:42 am

pinepointer wrote:I was painting on the old gel coat so just a light sanding to ensure good paint adhesion was all I needed. If the old paint is loose or peeling better sand or strip it off. Otherwise just sand off any loose bits and paint over top.

What about primer? Thinking about doing Parker paint on it which is oil based I believe. Are there any other steps or will that paint even stick to fiberglass?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:53 am

Yeah it will. There is no reason to strip the boat completely and he may end up taking g the gel coat off. Hit it with a red scotchbrite pad, wipe down with acetone, roll on paint with a high density foam roller.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 am

T Man wrote:Yeah it will. There is no reason to strip the boat completely and he may end up taking g the gel coat off. Hit it with a red scotchbrite pad, wipe down with acetone, roll on paint with a high density foam roller.

Thanks TMan. Should we do a cout of primer as well?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Not if you are just scuffing the surface coat.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:01 pm

T Man wrote:Not if you are just scuffing the surface coat.

Well the surface coat is chit. Here a couple pics. I would think we would need to get rid if it all and start fresh since its chipping everywhere. ImageImage

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FishH2o » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:40 pm

You had to put the one of my beer belly up didnt cha! :beer:
FishH2o
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Hit it with a red scorchbrite pad. Whatever stays is pain over it. Removing the gel coat allows fiberglass to absorb proteins leading to odors. Ever lmsmelled the bilge of a fiberglass. Boat

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:27 am

T Man wrote:Hit it with a red scorchbrite pad. Whatever stays is pain over it. Removing the gel coat allows fiberglass to absorb proteins leading to odors. Ever lmsmelled the bilge of a fiberglass. Boat

Ya it's no bueno. Thanks Tman.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 am

T Man wrote:Hit it with a red scorchbrite pad. Whatever stays is pain over it. Removing the gel coat allows fiberglass to absorb proteins leading to odors. Ever lmsmelled the bilge of a fiberglass. Boat

I was pretty drunk when I wrote this so let me translate.

Hit it with a red Scotch brite pad, what ever stays you can feather edge in. A lot of people will thin an oil based paint with acetone and paint on with a high density foam roller when a spray gun isn't avaliable. Since a high gloss isn't the desired finish you could probably get away with only thinning with 10-15% acetone and putting it on thick. Make sure you wipe down with acetone really well before you paint. I've used this method on my bilge with rustoleum gloss white on my duck boat with good results. I'm not sure how the resin would react to a paint stripper

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:03 am

T Man wrote:

Hit it with a red Scotch brite pad, what ever stays you can feather edge in. A lot of people will thin an oil based paint with acetone and paint on with a high density foam roller when a spray gun isn't avaliable. Since a high gloss isn't the desired finish you could probably get away with only thinning with 10-15% acetone and putting it on thick. Make sure you wipe down with acetone really well before you paint. I've used this method on my bilge with rustoleum gloss white on my duck boat with good results. I'm not sure how the resin would react to a paint stripper

We sanded down the whole boat today. Roughed up the inside and the outside we took the old green off down to the blue which I think was the original color. Washed it with soap an water and have it drying now. Paint is gonna be ordered this week so may be another before we start. We will wipe it down with acetone before we paint but I hope the coats of paint will stick. There are some areas that have fiberglass cloth patch jobs done. Not sure how well the paint will hold on those areas.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:22 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
T Man wrote:

We sanded down the whole boat today. Roughed up the inside and the outside we took the old green off down to the blue which I think was the original color. Washed it with soap an water and have it drying now. Paint is gonna be ordered this week so may be another before we start. We will wipe it down with acetone before we paint but I hope the coats of paint will stick. There are some areas that have fiberglass cloth patch jobs done. Not sure how well the paint will hold on those areas.

You know were going to want pictures
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Here's the boat as of now. ImageImage

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FishH2o » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 am

So here are the updates to this thread. I posted in the florida forum but i remember it was over here too..

IMG_0011.jpg
found a bad leak

Found this!

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg
fitting gun racks
FishH2o
hunter

Postby FishH2o » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:42 am

IMG_0002.jpg
fitting gun rack

IMG_0003.jpg
sticking them

IMG_0004.jpg
Nice and clean
FishH2o
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:56 am

Nice

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby FishH2o » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Thought I would post an update. I've been so busy painting this thing. I put two coats of marine two-part epoxy primer, two coats of paint on the bottom and outside, and three coats of paint on inside. Tomorrow morning i will flip it and put another coat on the sides and bottom.

epoxy.jpg
Epoxy primer

bottom.jpg
1st coat

topview.jpg
1st coat on the top

rearview.jpg
rear view

light.jpg
light
FishH2o
hunter

Postby FishH2o » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Wanted to show you guys the boated camoed up. Please let me know if you have any sugestions or see anything I am doing wrong. In this picture I had not trimed the fronds to length so thats why you see the long stems still.
Attachments
IMG_0426 copy.jpg
FishH2o
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds