Stockton Lake - Springfield Area

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Stockton Lake - Springfield Area

Postby barin300 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:14 am

I am new to the Springfield area and I am used to hunting swamp/marsh areas in the southeast. Haven't really seen any type of public land like that up here. From what ive been told when the weather is decently cold there are ducks to be killed at stockton lake? Is there any reason someone couldn't get back in the far arms of the lake and just rig up a blind out of brush? Or do most people hunt over the more open water? Also, are there any other places not too awfully far from Springfield where any of y'all have any luck? Thank you for any info you can give to a lost duck hunter.
barin300
Newb

Re: Stockton Lake - Springfield Area

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Would you like GPS coordinates too? How about a detailed map too?
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :no:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby barin300 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Alright butt, just looking for some tips as far as hunting the area. Go **** yourself.
barin300
Newb

Postby swampchicken » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Go hunt 4rivers thats more your habitat type. No draw just go hunt in unit3 or unit4.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 pm

James River is also a good spot too.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby madmanduck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 am

Hey barin, my uncle and cousin used to live out there in the Buffalo area. They did do a lot of hunting on the lakes for divers. However they found decent success hunting small water such as shallow rivers and ponds for puddlers. Some of the best hunts they had were on little farm ponds. They also killed a lot of mallards using goose decoys in alfalfa fields they had seen geese using. Hope this helps.
nothing beats the sight of birds working the dekes!!!
madmanduck
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 am

barin300 wrote:Alright butt, just looking for some tips as far as hunting the area. Go **** yourself.

Ohh...I'm shaking in my boots now. How about you put some gas in your car and go do some scouting. :rolleyes: :welcome:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby mjcraig15 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:18 am

Instead of asking for people to give up their spots on a public site, try picking up a phone and calling around to the MDC offices and speak with them about it, or private message people. Why would I post my hunting spot up for thousands of others to see. There is a right way and a wrong way to ask for information, and this is the wrong way.

Sorry guys I just had to do it. Haven't heard anything from old CP lately. :lol3:

Here is a good thread on how to ask.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=111545
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am

How about using the search engine type in "springfield area duck hunting" I BET 1000 post just like this one about Stockton lake pop up :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: And they all get the same answer.... Go figure it out yourself especially from a 1st poster :fingerhead:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm

mjcraig15 wrote:Instead of asking for people to give up their spots on a public site, try picking up a phone and calling around to the MDC offices and speak with them about it, or private message people. Why would I post my hunting spot up for thousands of others to see. There is a right way and a wrong way to ask for information, and this is the wrong way.

Sorry guys I just had to do it. Haven't heard anything from old CP lately. :lol3:

Here is a good thread on how to ask.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=111545

OH NO YOU DIDN"T!!!! :fingerpt: :no: :lol3: :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby iamduckhead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey, nice welcome to the 1st time poster by the duck gods.
iamduckhead
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 pm

iamduckhead wrote:Hey, nice welcome to the 1st time poster by the duck gods.

He ask some stupid questions and he got some stupid answers!!! :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby cwilson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 pm

barin300 wrote:I am new to the Springfield area and I am used to hunting swamp/marsh areas in the southeast. Haven't really seen any type of public land like that up here. From what ive been told when the weather is decently cold there are ducks to be killed at stockton lake? Is there any reason someone couldn't get back in the far arms of the lake and just rig up a blind out of brush? Or do most people hunt over the more open water? Also, are there any other places not too awfully far from Springfield where any of y'all have any luck? Thank you for any info you can give to a lost duck hunter.

Stockton has birds, but its big and you will have to scout.

Legally you can hunt the back waters.

Hunting in the Springfield area is very hard. Ducks aren't typically attracted to limestone and that is the crop we are most known for. Do people kill ducks in this area? Yes. My recommendation is do what the rest of us do...SCOUT.
cwilson
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Ha. This will be my second year duck hunting so I somewhat feel for this guy. However I was very new to Missouri and like I said duck hunting. www.mdc.mo.gov will give you info and just do some searches online and you'll get some info. Then go out and scout. I learned a ton about duck hunting last year and the area. But one of the biggest things I learned is that asking questions like that on this site don't get you to far.
bdub20
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Just went up to Stockton this weekend to visit family and they took me all around the lake (in the car), lake looks nice but seems like it might serve fishermen better than waterfowl hunters? It was interesting to hear about the history of the lake. If I was up there I would probably be spending my time deer and turkey hunting from what they told me.
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting