First Maine hunt

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

First Maine hunt

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 am

I finally got a chance to hunt up here this season - what a beautiful place...

I had scouted a bit last season and found some birds in different habitats at different times. Just before the season, I found a freshwater marsh rimmed pond that had some teal, woodies and mallards using it. I went out openning morning, way back in the glades where the teal had been feeding. I had a nice shoot and came out with a mallard and a teal. Puffed a blackie, but only his feathers landed in the deeks.

One note on Maine teal... They don't seem to decoy as readily as they do elsewhere. One bunch came in, but most just flew around -indiferent to the spread. I have never felt the need for a mojo, but it may help attract them. I'll give it a try next time.
1st maine ducks copy.jpg
papageno
hunter

Re: First Maine hunt

Postby Coltongunner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:26 am

Congrats on a good shoot!
Coltongunner
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Love seeing tha double gun taking ducks
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Love seeing tha double gun taking ducks

Thanks... Love shooting doubles and can't hit squat with a vent rib.
Funny, I went to Cabelas and asked if they had any double side-by-sides that were suitable for shooting steel shot... they didn't even know what I was talking about. Fortunately, an older woman at Bean knew all about it.
papageno
hunter

Postby jperkins » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 am

Welcome to Maine papageno! Nothing like a fall morning in Maine and a few ducks taboot.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Finally made it-it is different..teal love to fly by.As for shot for older guns--RST-ammo co. has what you need --2 7/8 inch shells plus special non-toxic-from Pen. still waiting for shells for my Winchester lever action 10 ga. model 1888.oop's I need to check if it can take a plug..RST special shells for the old duck gun crowd.Your from Jersey ??
decoycarver
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm

papageno wrote:I finally got a chance to hunt up here this season - what a beautiful place...

I had scouted a bit last season and found some birds in different habitats at different times. Just before the season, I found a freshwater marsh rimmed pond that had some teal, woodies and mallards using it. I went out openning morning, way back in the glades where the teal had been feeding. I had a nice shoot and came out with a mallard and a teal. Puffed a blackie, but only his feathers landed in the deeks.

One note on Maine teal... They don't seem to decoy as readily as they do elsewhere. One bunch came in, but most just flew around -indiferent to the spread. I have never felt the need for a mojo, but it may help attract them. I'll give it a try next time.
1st maine ducks copy.jpg

Nice picture...you gotta love double barrel shotguns! I had a Beretta O/U that I regret selling big time now...oh, the things you do in your youth when you need a few bucks. :oops:
Glad you found success fowling in Maine!
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting