decoy set-up

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

decoy set-up

Postby Cpetit33 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:11 am

So I'm having a issue with the ducks comen into my decoys I've tried a full spred I've moved them around 5 different ways cut it down to 15 decory and now six I've moved the mojo up and down. I can turn the ducks around with the call but as soon as they come over the decoys they flare off any ideas
Cpetit33
hunter

Re: decoy set-up

Postby Bunker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:08 am

Heres a link that could be some useful reading. Remember to leave pockets or places for them to want to attempt to land depending on wind and other conditions.

http://www.takeem.com/landing-zone.php

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Coltongunner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 am

Lose the mojo
Coltongunner
hunter

Postby native brookie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 am

First, keep in mind that with the weather we don't have a lot of new migrants here now, so all the ducks that were stupid 2-3 weeks ago are well educated and decoy shy now. It just gets tougher until it gets cold and we get some fresh birds.

As for what to change, it may be your decoy spread, but before I spent a lot of time messing with changing that, I'd get better hidden and move less. Are you wearing shiny sunglasses? Moving your head or the gun or the duck call as the birds start to come into the spread? Try clipping some leafy branches and setting them around you for cover. If hunting from shore, sit back farther into the trees. Put on a face mask and camo or dark gloves.

Also try it without the Mojo. Sometimes they can flare birds.

Finally, you could just be on a place that isn't where the ducks want to be. I've had far more success putting out a few decoys where I've seen birds get up than I ever have trying to figure out where they SHOULD want to land based on wind/sun/feed etc.
native brookie
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:14 pm

As the season progresses, there is nothing scarier to a duck than a heads-up plastic drake mallard decoy. Try only head-down feeders and skimmers.

You must be on the 'X' most of all. You cannot change a duck from going to where it wants to go with any spread or calling. You must be on the 'X' and not scare them away with bad decoys, mojos, excessive calling, face or hand motion, poor cover, exposed boats...........

Colton - doesn't sound like you think a mojo will help even with teal. (I do hate looking at those goofy things)
papageno
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:33 pm

JERK STRING

Or bilge pump.duck. butt decoys.!

On water I leave the mojo home and create ripples on the water any way I can.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 pm

733SubDucker wrote:JERK STRING

Or bilge pump.duck. butt decoys.!

On water I leave the mojo home and create ripples on the water any way I can.

The edge expedite butt up is good for that. I like to call him wiggle butt and on many occasions have used only him with pretty good success.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I do throw a wobble-puck (can't remember their real name) out on calm days - maybe I have to make a bigger splash. Thanks fior the ideas.
papageno
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:06 pm

I've had this issue.... You need to throw out everything you know as a hunter, and gear, and all this technology. Think like a duck. Are there ducks landing in the spot you hunt when you aren't hunting? If so, what are the ducks already there doing? Is it just one flock that goes there to an empty spot? Concealment is the most important thing I've found. You need to be invisible, from all sides and from the top. Don't move at all when birds are coming in or circling, as for decoys, it's still early in the season, not huge flocks. I had a nice hunt yesterday with a dozen dekes, 6 woodies and 6 mallards, set them like you'd see ducks as they'd be in that spot. Is it a loafing spot? More sleepers, leave it more relaxed, less calling. Is it a feeding spot? Jerk cords and have the decoys a little closer, maybe some feeders. Be absolutely invisible, and act like a duck. It's easy to use the run of the mill big spread and calling routine, high balls, comebacks, feeding, but how often do ducks you see on the lakes do that? Try different locations, move 50 yards down, switch it up!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks guys from the tips we only ended up have like six more pairs coming in after I moved everything around I ened up pulling the mojo and just left 4 duck on a pull string 3 woodies and two other mallards and has them all set to the far left of the blnd almost out of shooting range seemed to work all the ducks came right across the front of the blind almost landing on us ended up being a pretty good day
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Mojos are such a funny thing- I still can't decide if I like them or not! :lol3: I have two and have seen times when they seem to work and other times when there are plenty of ducks around, but they just couldn't care less about them. This morning I stuck one out on the middle of a shallow river channel and they seemed to make a beeline to it from a mile away each time they saw it. I never know with the Mojos...I just take the gamble some days when I have a good feeling about it.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Cpetit33 wrote:Thanks guys from the tips we only ended up have like six more pairs coming in after I moved everything around I ened up pulling the mojo and just left 4 duck on a pull string 3 woodies and two other mallards and has them all set to the far left of the blnd almost out of shooting range seemed to work all the ducks came right across the front of the blind almost landing on us ended up being a pretty good day

glad it worked out for you! :beer:
733SubDucker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting