ONE OF SIX

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

ONE OF SIX

Postby TWO GSPS » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:19 am

TODAY WAS A DUCK HUNTING FIRST FOR ME. I GOT TO BE ONE OF 6 PEOPLE OUT OF 185 THAT DIDN'T GET DRAWN IN THE SWEAT LINE THIS MORNING AT KERN. I'LL NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT A SLOW DAY AGAIN. :pissed:
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY DOG.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby stalns » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:40 pm

:thumbsdown: I drew #116 in the sweat line for San Luis. I am sitting home now wishing that I was cold and wet.
stalns
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:59 pm

STALNS
WELL, SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT.BUT I GUESS SOMEONES GOT TO TAKE THE BULLET AND IT WAS OUR TURN.BUT I DIGRESS, NOW THOSE DUCKS GOT ME PISSED OFF. DO YOU HEAR ME YOU DUCK BASTARDS! I'M COMING BACK NEXT WEEK AND HELL'S COMING WITH ME! NOW I FEEL BETTER. :yes:
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby bullet » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:27 pm

Surprised you didn't head up to Mendota or los Banos
bullet
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:00 pm

BULLET
TRUST ME I WANTED TO. BUT I ONLY HAD TIME TO GET A MORNING HUNT IN AND BY THE TIME I DROVE TO MENDOTA I WOULD HAVE ONLY HAD MAYBE AN HOUR OF HUNTING AFTER THE DRIVE AND PUTTING OUT MY DECOYS.DID YOU GET OUT?
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby stalns » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:56 am

:toofunny: Boy I feel sorry for those ducks!! I may just have to give them a visit myself. :salude: My next resi's are for next Wed. but I don't think I will last. We'll have to see what the sweat line gods have in store for me maybe this Wed. or next Sat. Will keep you all posted :thumbsup:
stalns
hunter

Postby bullet » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:45 am

2GPS...Didn't get out this weekend. next weekend I'm picking up my pup from Marty at Rajun kennels, who's been working with him for a month in a "head start" puppy program. He's hunting well. Following week Honey-do's. I have a blind reserved 2 days at Kern for the closer. More than likely my 13 yr old labs, last hunt. Coming down to the nitty gritty
bullet
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:58 am

BULLET
DOES THAT MEAN YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE YOUR PUP OUT THIS YEAR BEFORE THE SEASON ENDS?
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby bullet » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:59 am

2GPS I was thinking about it but he's been hunting alot of pigeons the last few weeks and the blinds are concrete sunken blinds on postage stamp islands you wade to. Very dificult for a pup to stay still on. I really think this will be my older dogs last hunt and want to concentrate on her for the over decade of fun she's given me. He'll get his
bullet
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:47 pm

BULLET
HOPEFULLT THAT OLD DOG GETS TO RETRIEVE ALL THE DUCKS SHE CAN HANDLE.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby bullet » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:10 am

She'll be working two guns, my son's and mine. My son is 15 and is now starting to beat me in sporting clays, but gets so damn excited, he hits about one in five ducks. Next year w/ a wild kid, and a enthusiastic, one year old dog, it should be pretty interesting. Being very careful not to break either one's spirit. 2GPS if you still have my number give me a call I might have an open blind on the closer near Kern, depending on if my son is scheduled to pitch for his HS baseball team or not. Coach has been letting him hunt when he's not scheduled in the rotation
bullet
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:39 am

Went to Banos this weekend. Got skunked on Sat but got a few on Sunday. The weather was really warm campared to December. Sunday was great, rain and wind. Last nights traffic was murder, got caught in that mess near Templin Hwy. Bullet I know your pain with the baseball games. My son's 14 and travel ball is never ending. I try to get him to go with me all the time but too many fringing games. This year I told the coach he'll have to wait until Feb. It's been great but the end of the season is upon us.
tstrong
hunter

Postby stalns » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:14 am

Did you hunt Banos refuge? I see the gadwall unit smoked them Sat. That place can light up with a wind. I tried to get in to San Luis but got a crappy number.
stalns
hunter

Been great!

Postby GGC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:28 am

Hi all,

New member here. I hunt a club in the North Grasslands, about 20 N. of Los Banos. We are having a spectacular season. We are at 6.3 birds per hunter day for the season which is great considering that at least half the members here are over 70 and when they do hunt, they are sometimes a little behind 'em.

This morning, got 7 GW Teal and was back at my cabin by 7:15.
GGC
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:18 pm

Yes I hunted the refuge both days. The blinds south of the closed zones did great.
tstrong
hunter

Postby duckiller » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:19 pm

I hunted san luis parking lot 2 on saturday with a number 6 reservation. We passed up a lot of teal early morning and ended up limiting on mallards, sprig, and cinnamon teal by 11:00. It was a great hunt. My dad stayed to hunt the same spot on sunday and came out with only 3 greenwing. It's amazing how fast it can turn on and off.
Brown dogs are best.
duckiller
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:45 pm

Sunday morn check in not a bit of wind. By noon the north wind and rain had picked up and was starting to move the birds alittle.
tstrong
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting