First Hunt

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

First Hunt

Postby wwp_bowhunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I took my Drahthaar, Dixie, on her first real official duck hunt today on the Delaware River and she was able to complete two retrieves. The first was an easy 30 yard retrieve on a mallard. The second was a cripple black duck that swam down river about 50-60 yards and dove on her a few times. She actually went under water to grab the duck and completed the retrieve. Not too bad for a 10 month old puppy! She should have had a few more retrieves but my shooting was a little rusty.

Funny story, while in the blind I noticed that Dixie would shiver for a few seconds then stop for a few seconds which I thought was strange. I then realized that I was using a mojo decoy on an intermittent setting, so every time it would turn on she would get excited and shiver and when it turned off she would stop.
Attachments
Dixie's First Hunt.jpg
wwp_bowhunter
hunter

Re: First Hunt

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Hope she wasn't sitting on the anodes :lol3:

Sounds like a nice day hunting. :thumbsup:
papageno
hunter

Postby ngiglio » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Great hunt, that's really funny that she was shaking like that, at least you have an early detection dog for if you don't see the birds coming!
ngiglio
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Beutiful dog, what kennel if you dont mind me asking.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby wwp_bowhunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:03 pm

vom Altmoor
wwp_bowhunter
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:40 pm

It's rare enough to see these dogs in nj, let alone another altmoor dog. Here's scout on his first hunt since hzp. These were all blind because he was kenneled up while we were in the flooded timber. His 1st double as, even though I would rather have him retrieve them one at a time. We're looking forward to having some fun, I really over did training this summer and he deserves to have some fun.
Attachments
image.jpg
FFT
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting