Lets See Your Best Mount

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Lets See Your Best Mount

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 pm

mauserfan wrote:Hillybilly...the Greaters have the green heads and Lesser purple. That Bill in the photo has a very broad bill and may well be a Greater. If a Greater, the bird should physically be about 50% larger than the Ring Bill. Best way to verify is by the wing feather check. Please google it as I cannot remember what to look at and why. Nice birds....mauser

Oops sorry last thing I want to do is tell some buddy the wrong thing. All I knw is that wat I had to do to get them birds would have made 90% of people turn back. That is if they had the same equipment as I had. Now if I had same rig now it wouldn't have been nothing.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Blackducks II.jpg

Hope the upload worked. Anyways, a couple of Black Mallards that hang up at my camp. By far, my favorite mount.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 pm

When you say black mallards, do you mean mallard x black or something else? On my phone so I can't look closer but they dont look like pure black ducks to me. Just curious.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mauserfan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 pm

They're the real deal and darker than the photo relays. We call them either Black Mallards or Blackducks up here....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Roostbuster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:41 pm

A greater scaup... aka broadbill... has a full white trailing edge on its wing. A lesser... aka bluebill, has only about half the trailing edge of its speculum is white. The whole purple head vs. green head i don't really worry about, you can find both colors in either species. And yes, the greater is much larger than a lesser, lessers are barely bigger than a ringbill.
Hi. I bust roosts.
Roostbuster
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Here's an old thread, I thought you guys might enjoy this one.Image

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 pm

^^^ has caption this written all over that photo
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:^^^ has caption this written all over that photo

Go for it, could be fun
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:01 pm

"Oh no you didnt"
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Ha!!! This could be fun, anyone else got one? If others are interested we could have an official contest. I would be willing to contribute the "prize", a case of hamms and a handshake, lol. If you're interested post up, we could start another thread, and get berreta24 to judge. The only stipulation would be age must be verified for the hamms, if a minor won the prize would be a case of mtn dew, also prize must be picked up in person, hahaha.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Why do I have to judge...if there's a contest make a poll to vote. :)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm

beretta24 wrote:Why do I have to judge...if there's a contest make a poll to vote. :)

Because your our mod, an authority figure, a man amongst boys, hahaha. Of it helps I'd offer a 12 pack of big friendlies for your service.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Done.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 pm

LOL did he even have your arm behind your back lol
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 am

THE OLD MAN REMEMBERS THE FOX SQUIRREL MOUNT AND ITS MEMORY BRINGS A SMILE. I SHOT THAT FOX SQUIRREL IN 1971. A FRIEND AT SCHOOL WAS LEARNING TAXIDERMY AND ASKED IF HE COULD TRY MOUNTING IT FOR ME. I AGREED, WHEN ASKED,"What do you want the pose to look like?" I REPLIED SIMPLY, SURPRISE ME. THERE IS A BRASS TAG ON THE MOUNT THAT READS, "Another Marsh Lake Trophy". YEARS LATER A HUNGRY MOUSE WHO WAS WINTERING IN THE HUNTING SHACK DINED ON THE PAPER MACHE. THE MOUNT HAS FADED, COULD USE CLEANING BUT THE MEMORIES ARE STILL NEW. MY FAVORITE MOUNT IS HANGING IN STU'S HOUSE. IT IS A VERY IMMATURE DRAKE CANVAS BACK. WHEN STU WAS YOUNG HE BROKE HIS LEG SHORTLY BEFORE OUR YEARLY NEA WEEK LONG DUCK HUNTING AT THE SHACK. HE HAD HIS LEG IN A CAST. THE DOCTOR KIND OF GAVE ME PERMISSION TO TAKE HIM DUCK HUNTING. I BOUGHT A "Herman Munster" PAIR OF VERY LARGE, OVERSIZED BLACK RUBBER OVER BOOTS. HE WORE ONE BOOT OVER THE CAST. I BROUGHT A STEP LADDER WITH THAT WAS USED TO GET STU INTO THE BOAT AT THE BOAT LANDING. IT WAS MID WEEK, PERHAPS MIDMORNING WHEN THIS DRAKE CAN FLEW INTO OUR CANVASBACK DECOYS. AS GOOD A SHOT AS STU IS, THIS IS THE SHOT I AM MOST PROUD OF. DID LITTLE ANNIE RETRIEVE THAT DUCK? I DO NOT REMEMBER. WE DID NOT STAY LONG AS IT WAS A COLD DAY. IT IS A SHAME IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN A MATURE BIRD. I HAVE A NICE CAN ON THE WALL, ALONG WITH A (BALD EAGLE, Blue Goose) AND A NICE "Cackler". ALSO THE "DEAR ONE'S" 41 INCH TIGER MUSKY. WHAT MAKES A MOUNT REALLY SPECIAL IS IF IT HAS A NEAT STORY TO GO WITH IT. ALL OF MY MOUNTS DO. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE DUCK MOUNTS MAY I SUGGEST YOU GO TO ORTONVILLE MN. THERE IS A MUSEUM ABOVE TOWN WITH SOME BEAUTIFUL MOUNTS. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I dont' recall if I posted a picture but I had a great buffle head. Purple and green in the head, mounted to a piece of ash with double rings on it.

Well last month my boy decided to rip the wing off :mad: :mad: I got over it and was going to have it reglued on as this was my only mount. Had the mount and wing in the laundry room....another child or possibly the wife forgot to shut the door.

Yep I walked down into the basement to see wing feathers all over the floor :mad: :mad: :mad: Worthless damn hound.

So now I am trying to decide if I want to display a one winged duck in a flying pose!
xrated
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Is the rest of the bird good?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SECOND SHOT » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:54 pm

THE OLD MAN OFFERS CONDOLENCES TO xrated. IT BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF "THE DAWG" DINING ON "THE DEAR ONES" NEW COAT MANY YEARS AGO. IF REPAIRING THE MOUNT ADDS TO THE STORY I SUGGEST YOU FIX IT AND MOVE ON. IF ALL IT WILL DO IS AGGRAVATE YOU EVERY TIME YOU LOOK AT IT I SUGGEST THE NEXT BEST THING. PERHAPS NEXT FALL YOU SHOULD BRING IT OUT TO THE MARSH, A HAND FULL OF DAYS BEFORE YOU PLAN TO COME BACK WITH YOUR FRIENDS. FIND A WAY AND A PLACE TO FLOAT IT NEAR WHERE YOU PLAN TO SET UP. WATCH AND WAIT. IF A BUDDY SHOOTS IT, I SUGGEST SAVING THE MOUNT AND REHANGING IT AS IT ADDS TO THE STORY. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT TECHNICALLY BE LITTERING. CAN WE HAVE ONE OF FAVORITE GAME WARDENS RENDER AN OPINION PLEASE. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:05 pm

beretta24 wrote:Is the rest of the bird good?

Yes it is pretty good, he just ripped the wing clean off the wire. It wasn't the greatest taxidermy work ever as it was done on a college budget but it has held up well the past 11 years.
xrated
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Pm me a pic
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:11 pm

Wife dog ate my almost 12" sunny and then ate the ears off my bear rug that made it into the state record's and to top it of i didnt have either one for a week i still hate that dog 9 years later
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Words can not describe the rage I would have towards that dog. You're still married?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:15 pm

we're still married going on 10 years this year her dad ended up confiscating the dog several years agoreally the only time I see Her is when on when we're dog sitting then she tries to sleep in our bed on top of my pillowI grab that b**** by the back of her neck and toss her on the floor while calling her a b****
Last edited by hillbilly.. on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Is that what you are supposed to do? I usually end up looking like spaghetti fitting around the three dogs at night

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting