to choke or not to choke

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

to choke or not to choke

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:25 pm

I just finished my second day of shooting a lot of air and nothing else. Someone suggested removing the choke altogether (I am not sure what the choke is, and the gun is being deep cleaned as I type here; other people seem to think using the right choke would be better.
I might buy a decoy or two as I am also hving trouble getting them within 3o yards.
Thoughts?
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Re: to choke or not to choke

Postby luie b » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:12 am

Whoever told you to remove the choke clearly doesn't know much about shotguns. If your gun has screw in chokes never ever fire it without a choke tube in. NEVER ever do that. If you do it can ruin your barrel completely in just one shot. If you want to shoot farther use a full choke and for mid range use a modified choke. For close use improved cylinder. I would take a close look at your shotguns user manual if you don't known how to use a choke tube.
luie b
hunter

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Wow! Thank you for saving me at least $300!
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Yea my cousin forgot to put his new choke in when he switched chokes for turkey season one year and had a turkey at 30 yards. He shoots and the bird immediately runs away. He wonders what the deal was because he knew he didn't miss and he found out he didn't put a choke tube in and the shot didn't pattern at all and just dispersed really thin so the turkey wasn't even hit at all because the shot was so dispersed. He then tried putting a choke into that barrel and it wouldn't screw in and took it to a gunsmith finding out his brand new benelli needed a whole new barrel now.
luie b
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't think it's your choke. I think its lack of experience wingshooting and taking shots well past 30 yards that is making you shoot air (skybust). Go to your local range and shoot some clays, it will help you quite a bit.
BBK
hunter

Return to Upland Game