Silos on a windy day

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Silos on a windy day

Postby Greyducksdown11 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Hey guys I hunt lessers over winter wheat fields, I have about 60 shells I use and found some silos but I was told "don't buy those because if you use them on windy days they'll get tore up" so I was wondering what you guys think
Greyducksdown11
Newb

Re: Silos on a windy day

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Guess I'd have to ask...What kind of wind are you talking about..... Most of my hunting,solos or full bosies is generally 4-12 mile per. Have not had any problems with the silos..... Shells will look a little un-natural. Have some of my full bodies tip over. I know some of the folks due west do get some stiff winds.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby bobalong » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I have not had a problem with mine in the wind, not sure the wind speed exactly but a couple of shoots it was howling pretty good.
bobalong
hunter

Postby Greyducksdown11 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Sometimes it's 20 mph sometimes it's barely blowing, I think I'm gonna go ahead and get them it's the Dive bomb industry ones anyone had experience with them?
Greyducksdown11
Newb

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:15 pm

I have run my silos in some rediculous winds. We regularly get winds in excess of 25 mph with up to 35 mph gusts here in the winter and I have never had any issues. Plus they make this neat whistling noise when the wind hits the coroplasti just right. :biggrin:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 pm

I have 3 dozen divebombs. They will wobble in a good wind, but they shouldn't get any damage or get "tore up."

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am

tornadochaser wrote:I have 3 dozen divebombs. They will wobble in a good wind, but they shouldn't get any damage or get "tore up."

Tornado, Know you are a silo fan ...AND have mixed silo brands in the field.Do the divebombs shine more than any of the other brands and which brand is closest to your kill hole...JUST CURIOUS??
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:42 am

vt.honker wrote:
tornadochaser wrote:I have 3 dozen divebombs. They will wobble in a good wind, but they shouldn't get any damage or get "tore up."

Tornado, Know you are a silo fan ...AND have mixed silo brands in the field.Do the divebombs shine more than any of the other brands and which brand is closest to your kill hole...JUST CURIOUS??

Depends on the weather and sunlight. Do divebombs shine? Yep, but so do real geese ps2's in the right light. As far as decoys in my kill hole? A mix of whatever we bring that day. If i were to place anything specific where i wanted birds to finish it's proabably going to be sleeper shells.

Pro series 2 on the left, divebomb on the right.

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1383403328311.jpg
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:19 am

Tornado, :thumbsup: THANKS for the reply and photo.I agree that even the PRO 2`s shine in the sun....usually NOT the body of the textured silo but the plastic in between the 2 textured sides.Because I hunt alone ALOT ,most days I only put out 3/4 dz.(about half of what I carry I in the truck).This allows me to change the angles of the deeks as the sun moves across the sky .When the wind direction no longer favors such angle changes,I leave the dekes alone and MOVE THE BLIND.Many of my hunts are over within the first 2 hrs. of daylight...rarely need to make any angle changes on the silos.Noticed in the photo that you cut the foot off the R.G. and that the Divebombs look good too...no shine from either with the low sun being angled broadside to the decoys.THANKS AGAIN FOR THE COMPARISON PHOTO :thumbsup: .
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Cutting the feet off the RG's was the smartest idea i've had in months.:???:

tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum