Spinning Wing Decoys (battery powered)

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Spinning Wing Decoys (battery powered)

Postby tealdog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Curious what people, in general, think about SWD.

Love them? Hate them? Never leave home without them?

If I never saw another one I'd be ok with it!! :thumbsup:
tealdog
hunter

Re: Spinning Wing Decoys (battery powered)

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 am

I would be cool if no one used them. I had one, then gave it up for 4-5 years, and am back to one. Here in the North Idaho Panhandle, when you are hunting in an area and every other group out there has 2-3 spinners going you can have a slow day...so you pretty much have to play the game when that happens.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jcmontgo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Those moterized spinners seem to work pretty good. Ive got two wind powered ones that kinda suck but....they work in certain situations. I grew up hunting the CDA Idaho area (I grew up on Benewah Lake) but we never used spinners, we used our backs and our canoe paddles to make our shooting good. The biggest problem in most of the CDA Lake/Chain Lake area is the Goddamn airboats. They should be outlawed in the park especially and most of the people who hunt out of them should learn some hunting ethic. Ive never seen a motorized watercraft disrupt waterfowl like those things. Most of those guys go blow the birds off the middle of the lake when they raft up and they should be ashamed of themselves. Its one thing to go through birds on your way to a spot but its quite another to drop people off and go get the birds up with your airboat. Just hearing those things fire up made my blood boil. I could probably rant about it for another page or two...but I digress. Oh yeah.....I think motorized spinners should be outlawed. No probs with wind powered or jerk cord.
Cody
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Postby brad2242 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

What's the difference if the wind spins the wings or a battery? I seldom use one, but the wings spin on both and the results are the same.
brad2242
hunter

Postby jcmontgo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:03 am

Its the whole idea (at least to me) of an electronic decoy. I spose to me its like using and amplified or electric call. The wind powered or jerk string is all done by hand not by remote. I also hate game cameras although a lot of people like em. I guess I think we have so much new technology already we are losing focus on what hunting is supposed to be about.
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting