Girls Gun

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Girls Gun

Postby luvnlabs » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi...I was wondering have you found any guns that fit us women good? What do you all shoot? I am using a youth, winchester 1300 20 gauge speed pump. I don't like it. Just the way it feels. I am looking at getting a 12 gauge. Anyone have any advice? I'm 5'4 and my trigger pull is around 12" I think....Thanks.
May your lines be true....Your whistles few...Fetch& hold Baby!!! (T.Calhoun)
luvnlabs
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:33 pm

I got a plain ol' adult sized Beretta Urika 20 gauge autoloader that seems to fit fine, but I have longish arms, so maybe I'm just lucky.

When the time came to get my gun, I just went down to the local gunshop and said, "Show me a bunch of 20 gauges," and tried everything - autoloaders, pumps, over-unders, side-by-sides, spendy ones and cheap ones, American and Italian. I just test-mounted each one, then I'd try another and decide which felt better, keep that one on the counter and send back the reject, then try another and so on. Kept the guy behind the counter real busy. When I kept coming back to the Beretta, I knew that was my baby.

In truth, I didn't know what the hell I was doing because I'd never used a shotgun, but the "feel" test worked well - when I started taking shotgunning lessons, my instructor confirmed it was a great fit for me. The fact that you've been shooting your 12-gauge should make it a lot easier to spot the one that feels right.

And p.s., I hated the pump I tried. Loved the price, but hated the feel. Oh well.
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm

ide try a remington upland special 11-87 in 20 ga. 23" barrel short legnth of pull light weight! good deal for the ladies
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby wyldfire » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:53 pm

I shoot a 12 gauge Beretta 390........I opted for the shorter 24" barrel and took it to the local gunsmith and had it custom fit for me.

The stock was cut down and it was fit for cast and camber. My shooting improved a bunch and my gun actually fits me PROPERLY and feels like it is a part of me when I shoulder it. No kick, no worries.

Too many women get "hand me down" guns that were fine "off the shelf " for their hubby but don't have a prayer of fitting most women. :thumbsdown:
I spent years trying to shoot the hand-me-down gun my hubby gave me when he got a new one...

You should have seen the look on his face when I came home with that custom fit gun for ME and said, " Honey, I did a little shopping with YOUR VISA card.... :lol:
wyldfire
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:41 am

where in maine did you buy your new shooter?
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:13 pm

Ok ok im not going to fool people that im tall or something im all of five foot tall in shoes, i use the mossberg model 500A it shoots like a dream u can shoot it from the hip if you so wished. it has a vented barrel so the gas goes out the sides of the gun not, out the end which kills most of the kick, im not saying that if u pop in a 3 1/2" mag turkey shot with a full choke in it aint gonna kick you but not quite as bad. Good luck and Good Shooting

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger:thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby redco97 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:57 pm

This is redco97's wife. I like you had a hard time finding a gun as well. However when I took some shooting lessons I was taught with a Beretta Urieka 20 gauge automatic sporting model witha 28" barrell. Now I have one of those and the Beretta Silverpigeon 20 gauge over and under for dove, quail, etc. I couldn't be happier with either and my husband loves that I'm into his hobby with him.

:biggrin:
redco97
hunter

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:57 pm

I shoot an adult size 12 gage remington 870 ultra mag it fits me really well evan while i was preggers i was still able to use it the only prob that i had is that i stood funny and it would cause the but to hit me in the face and that kinda hurt a bit haha
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby dog » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Well, I am still a kid, (full grown kid) so my dad just got me a kids length 20 remington. I love it and use it for all game and have stuck with it for 5 years.
dog
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:00 pm

redco97 wrote:This is redco97's wife. I like you had a hard time finding a gun as well. However when I took some shooting lessons I was taught with a Beretta Urieka 20 gauge automatic sporting model witha 28" barrell. Now I have one of those and the Beretta Silverpigeon 20 gauge over and under for dove, quail, etc. I couldn't be happier with either and my husband loves that I'm into his hobby with him.

:biggrin:

I have the Beretta Silverhawk (the sxs) and just love it. It was leaving some bruises this summer when I was just shooting with a t-shirt, but I threw a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and it fits and feels great now. Come winter and heavy jackets, I'll take the pad off and it'll be about right again. :)

It's really odd, I'm only 5'4" and my hubby is 6', but my length of pull is almost the same as his. Apparantly I have ape arms or something. :p His Browning Citori's fit me perfectly (he does have to add a pad to get the length perfect for him).
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby harbinger_j » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:17 pm

My wife got a 20 ga. Beretta 3901 (statesman I think) it had a synthetic stock that had a spacer that I removed and took an inch off the length of pull. Now it fits her perfect and she loves it. She wanted the wooded stock for looks but this one worked better without paying for stock customization.
harbinger_j
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:56 pm

Why cant any-of you women live close to me ?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckZapper160 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:05 pm

Just bought a Mossberg Bantam 500 for my wife and she loves it. She is only 5' 2 and it fits her great. I also went to wally world and purchased a limb saver recoil pad. Fits on there great and adds an extra bit of cushion for her.
DuckZapper160
hunter

HELP

Postby mallardhen70 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:28 pm

DuckZapper160 wrote:Just bought a Mossberg Bantam 500 for my wife and she loves it. She is only 5' 2 and it fits her great. I also went to wally world and purchased a limb saver recoil pad. Fits on there great and adds an extra bit of cushion for her.

Hows the gun workin' out
mallardhen70
hunter

Franchi AL 48 20ga.

Postby Jumpshooting Deke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Franchi AL 48 20ga.

Lightest automatic shotgun in the world!
My girlfriend who had never shot a gun before loves it!
:thumbsup:
Jumpshooting Deke
Newb

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:10 pm

After reading what people said here and listening to a lot of advice, I went out and got my shotgun fitted Friday, and what a difference it made!

I thought it fit OK because I have long arms, but I also have a long neck, which was making it hard to get my face on the stock properly. After the fitting, it was much easier.

Today was my first hunt with the newly fitted gun, and WOW! It was the first day I ever stoned a bird dead, and the first day I ever got four birds, doubling my take for the season so far.

Fitting is expensive - it cost about $350 for a really experienced gunsmith to make it work right for me. But wow, if you're going to go to the time, trouble and expense of hunting, it's totally worth it. Forget looking for a gun that's made for women - get a gun you like and get it fitted.

P.S. The fitting included a lesson out on a sporting clay course.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Fitted Gun

Postby mallardhen70 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:43 am

That's too cool. Glad to hear that for you :thumbsup: I have to admit that after spending last season with the gun I had this year has made all the difference in the world to me. Mine was not custom fitted but much better proportioned for better gun control with more fire power and range.

Best of luck getting more birds with your new gun :skeet:

We're digging out from the ice storm here in Oklahoma. Just got the power back on last night after 5 days without it!!! We faired better than most considering we had gas and hot water and all the hunting and camping gear. It paid off and we survived it without having to leave our home.
mallardhen70
hunter

Re: Fitted Gun

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 am

mallardhen70 wrote:We faired better than most considering we had gas and hot water and all the hunting and camping gear. It paid off and we survived it without having to leave our home.

That's one of the things I love about this lifestyle. All of our non-hunting friends always say that if civilization collapses, they're coming to our house!

Sounds like a rough week for you! Here in California, we've had a stupid week of sunshine and no wind. We're all rooting for a nice wet storm to shake up the birds. But I'll be careful what I wish for, knowing that whatever we get here picks up steam and becomes much worse by the time it gets to you. Your ice storm was just a bit of frost out here.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Ice Storm

Postby mallardhen70 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:16 pm

We got out and did a bit of scouting today. We did see a few ducks but couldn't get to them for all the downed trees. They're covering the roads. We seen the sunshine for the first time in several weeks :shades: Right now, Cali sounds alot better though. LOL
mallardhen70
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum