Any scouting reports yet?????

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Any scouting reports yet?????

Postby OkieDuckFever » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:43 am

I went out last night to a family farm, to check the pictures on cameras I put on the ponds. It's about an hour drive east of OKC. On the way out I checked all the ponds off the highway and roads and saw maybe a 1/2 dozen ducks total. When I got to the farm, the cousin said all the roads were still pretty muddy and I should take the Polaris out to check the ponds and cameras. After not seeing any birds on the way out, I wasn't expecting much and I forgot to grab my binoculars out of the truck. I stopped a few hundred yards out from the first pond and couldn't see anything obvious on the water without my binocs.

As I got about 100 yards off I saw a group of 5-6 Teal jump off the water on the shallow end, then another, and another, then a group of big ducks , then more teal, then more big ducks...etc. As I got close to the edge of the pond, I even got to see a couple of mallards hop lazily off the water. Lots of water weed in the pond for feed, so it looks like my boys will have a good hunt this weekend. I am glad I decided to drive down myself and not have my cousin check the cameras for me. The camera on that pond was pointed towards the deeper water and didn't have a single duck picture on it (lots of turtles though). If I hadn't drove down myself, I wouldn't have known there were ducks on the pond! Nothing beats windshield time.

Now we just need more rain down in SW OK to fill up the farm ponds down there and it will be a great season.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 am

OkieDuckFever wrote:Now we just need more rain down in SW OK to fill up the farm ponds down there and it will be a great season.

Abundance of water means nothing if we don't get good weather during the season.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:44 pm

I stopped by one of my spots today to see it covered up with geese, pintails, and teal. Looks like i found my opening day spot!
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby colton341 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Must be nice D! :thumbsup:
colton341
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
OkieDuckFever wrote:Now we just need more rain down in SW OK to fill up the farm ponds down there and it will be a great season.

Abundance of water means nothing if we don't get good weather during the season.

Why are you so negative about everything? Actually, birds WILL migrate regardless of weather. Granted, the "better" the weather, the more migrate down/through, but REGARDLESS of weather, a good pecentage of birds do migrate based on their nature. Come mid to late season, the first severe cold front, I bet you'll be female doggin about the weather then pusing all our birds out. To which my reply will be: REGARDLESS of weather, a good percentage of birds will stick around.

Not trying to get on your case too much (I've hunted with you once and enjoyed it - you seem like a nice guy/kid), but it seems like you're not happy unless you're female doggin about something......................any recently you have been real happy on here.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 pm

To have a "good-great" season, multiple strong arctic fronts are needed IMO. But yeah, huntable numbers are going to arrive here regardless and birds are gonna get whacked.
Actually I've NEVER complained about cold weather moving birds out here. We're too far south in the flyway and the migration seems like it's been stopping shorter (on average) over the last decade or so.

You're probably right that overall I've been more negative on here lately than normal, but I'd say I've added an equal amount of non-negative posts. I've been posting more overall lately, so maybe all the negative ones end up in the OK forum and the positive ones end up elsewhere. :lol3:
But no, in real life I'm doing better than ever, maybe it's just not translating onto here.
Now I feel strange and awkward talking about this. Thanks a lot DW. :no: :yes:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:56 am

I will say this, when multiple arctic fronts pass through it generally brings more mallards. Gadwalls, teal, and some pintails will be here in abundance, generally. Keep in mind I hunt the southern end of the state so the mallards I see are later and generally only see good numbers when we have colder years. (That's not to say I don't see the usual migrants that do so on the shorting of days, it just means the more plentiful years are with the colder weather.)
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:30 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
OKhunter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:My rail spot had a few 100 teal on it (there were practically zero ducks there the last week of teal season). Also saws a group of 12 Pintails, several spoonie, and a few greys. Local woodies still there also. Saw a fair number of big ducks, but simply didn't pay them much attention as I was in "Rail mode". Hunting buddy, also in Tulsa, said he heard a wad of snows a day or two ago also.

Saw a neck collared Canada at an undisclosed location (park). Couldn't convince my buddy to take a Foiles go at them though :no:

That's funny, I saw one the other day....next to the parking lot at Golds gym. Had the 870 in the trunk but figured I may be seen lol

In all my years, that was the first neck collar I have ever seen. Go figure it was in the middle of Tulsa. Bastard.

My dad went out to my grandparents Sunday afternoon and there were 4 banded geese in the driveway. Go figure right.

On private property???????????? Depredation, nusiance, "I feared for my life - make my day law"?. Joking, as I don't think you could have legally killed them under any of those circumstances (dern them federal laws). Oh well, most likely just resident banded geese; no grand trophy (if they were sequential bands......

Where is Jeff Foiles when you need his opinion???

Shoot Ned!! There coming right for us!!

I am pretty sure they are residents banded at the local lake. Groups of 4 coming in are going to be fun shooting this year. I'll have to let everyone know if they were sequential come November. Last season I went to workout in town after hunting, and there were 2 banded geese by the front doors.

Friend of mine is up in the Panhandle this weekend and is seeing a bunch of teal and a few mallards. He shot 4 bluewings, a greenwing, and one mallard today I think. Said he saw a few flocks flying south with the weather in Kansas. A good sign of things to come I think.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Weather feels great, haven't really seen anything yet. But haven't looked very hard either, been too busy with work and projects.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:07 am

Mallards, teal, gadwall and pintails

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 am

DucknGoodTime wrote:Mallards, teal, gadwall and pintails

Blessings,
Rick

Rick are the #'s still falling holding or swelling. It will be Wed before I can get back down to check my spots since my boat is getting motor upgrades. They were decent a few weeks ago off of the Washita.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 am

Jerkstring wrote:
DucknGoodTime wrote:Mallards, teal, gadwall and pintails

Blessings,
Rick

Rick are the #'s still falling holding or swelling. It will be Wed before I can get back down to check my spots since my boat is getting motor upgrades. They were decent a few weeks ago off of the Washita.

I've been busy and haven't been out for a while. I'll probably go check some places on my day of Monday.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:43 am

Approx 20 mallards on the lake by my work. I just noticed them today but my son noticed them there Tuesday. So new birds are coming south. I need more rain to drop so my boat will go better. Lots of 4" to 8" water to hunt but is easier with 8"to 12" for the motor scoot along in.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Well Texomas im terrible shape for water, along with all the others. I can get my hybrid in a few inches of water but the problem is the water is feet from food and cover. Its going to be tough again this year around these parts.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Scouted Saturday around Keystone, no mallards yet. A few groups of BWT, gaddies, shovelers and pintail. No large numbers though. Found some resident geese, hope to get a few of those. Opening day looks like it'll be slow going
petrotk40
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:45 am

For those of you that are in the eastern part of the state it definitely looks like we'll be getting some good rain on Wednesday. I brushed my blind this past Saturday and saw a lot of woodies and a few gadwall and teal, but that's about it. We need a good polar cold front instead of these pacific fronts that we have been getting.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm

mallards&morels wrote:For those of you that are in the eastern part of the state it definitely looks like we'll be getting some good rain on Wednesday. I brushed my blind this past Saturday and saw a lot of woodies and a few gadwall and teal, but that's about it. We need a good polar cold front instead of these pacific fronts that we have been getting.

This is the absolute perfect time to get that rain...I didn't catch the exact amount on the news but they said it's supposed to be a lot.
All we need is some better temps and the first half of the season could get real good.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:35 pm

They are saying possible flooding and lots of rain, only in localized areas though
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:30 am

I need about 3"-4" of water rise to make mine just right for hunting and some duck numbers
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 am

Jerkstring wrote:I need about 3"-4" of water rise to make mine just right for hunting and some duck numbers

Went out Monday and what I saw was dismal. Saw some gadwall and teal but water levels are terrible. The lake needs 4 - 5 feet and a wetland unit that I hadn't hunted in a couple years was totally dry.
Ill probably hunt a couple times but probably sit out most of the 1st of the splits.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 am

petrotk40 wrote:Scouted Saturday around Keystone, no mallards yet. A few groups of BWT, gaddies, shovelers and pintail. No large numbers though. Found some resident geese, hope to get a few of those. Opening day looks like it'll be slow going

Leave my geese alone
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Leave my geese alone

Where exactly are you seeing these geese and I'll make sure to leave them be ;)
petrotk40
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Looks like "Oklahoma scouting report" has been googled about 2000+ times now...
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Well I don't want to leave all those googlers out to dry, he's one of my honey holes

36.08809, -95.92094
petrotk40
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:17 pm

petrotk40 wrote:Well I don't want to leave all those googlers out to dry, he's one of my honey holes

36.08809, -95.92094

Just checked it out, looks good. Think I could walk in or do I need a boat? Also, I have 2 woodduck decoys, 2 widgeon, 2 mallards, 2 pintails, and 4 dozen blackduck hybrids...how should I setup?
LiquidA45
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting