Pick up empties

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Pick up empties

Postby PA_Drake_Hunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:03 pm

While hunting Saturday I heard a lot of shooting and saw a bunch of guys in the swamps I was in and on my wAy out I picked up some shells but when I returned this morning and went out to an island I found over 2 boxes of spent shells then I had my eye out for them and picked up a lot more on the way in. Is it really that hard to bend over and pick them up after you shoot? If you can pick up a duck you can pick up your spent shells. It's a shame that people will do that to our own land. I'm sure these same guys are wondering why they lose permission to private land. Do yourselves a favor and clean up after yourself.
PA_Drake_Hunter
hunter

Re: Pick up empties

Postby bassmaster624 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

i believe most sportsman try to pick them up.everyone looses afew now and again.i was in hartstown acouple years ago i think i even posted a picture of them i picked up a 5 gallon bucket most of which were winchesters.it is a disgrace to see that happen ever year.i reload so all the hull i get is a bonus for me.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby Cold » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:13 am

I always try to pick mine up as well.

I don't hunt a lot of places that see a ton of traffic, so I'm not familiar with seeing boxes of empties laying around. What really hits home for me though, is seeing an old case or two that looks like it's been out there for a decade, and while the brass is gone, the plastic is faded but still completely intact.

For something that's going to last that long as litter, I want to get it out of there.
Cold
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 am

I always try to pick up empties. They're difficult to find sometimes. If you're standing in water, they take on water and sink too. Leaving a pile is littering. Leaving a couple you couldn't find is typical.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 am

The littering part is a givin that I dont think any of us agree with but seeing all those empty shells just lets others know that there's birds in that area..just sayin
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 pm

We always pick up empties and whenever possible wads too. No reason to litter when your empties are no more than 10 feet from you and wads won't travel more than about 30 yards.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting