Duck hunting regulation book

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Duck hunting regulation book

Postby Tony C » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:35 pm

I remember hearing about a "book" that some one put out that listed and explained most, if not all, of NY hunting laws regarding water fowl. I am looking for more info than what is in the yearly syllabus. Can anyone help me locate a copy or a link to one? Thank you in advance.
Tony C
hunter

Re: Duck hunting regulation book

Postby K Williams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 pm

I received that booklet last week during the Waterfowl ID class. Contact the DEC by e-mail or phone. I'm sure they'd send you a copy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter

Postby Tony C » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:06 pm

I have talked to two different ECO's, one DEC biologist and called every DEC number I can find. No one from the state seems to know what I am looking for. I have this years syllabus and the trifold pamphlet. I am thinking this booklet was put out by DU or some other organization or club. Does anyone here know what I am talking about?
Tony C
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:46 am

Tony C wrote:I have talked to two different ECO's, one DEC biologist and called every DEC number I can find. No one from the state seems to know what I am looking for. I have this years syllabus and the trifold pamphlet. I am thinking this booklet was put out by DU or some other organization or club. Does anyone here know what I am talking about?

What is it that you are looking to find out? I don't know the book you mean, but I'm sure we can answer your questions..
Fire away
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby K Williams » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:14 am

These are the three items I received:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter

Postby turf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:25 am

Those 3 items should about cover all you need to know, the one in the middle is put out by DU, the others by NY DEC, do you have a specific question?
turf
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:14 pm

The pamphlet has a lot of info But still does not say that you are allowed to hunt ducks LESS THEN 500 ft from an occupied dwelling when shooting over water. BUT........I would never anchor up right behind someone's house and start blasting away, even if it is legal in certain areas ( towns with no discharge ordinance ) because they will still call the police, DEC, Cuomo, Etc. I have spots that are withing 500' of houses but they are saved for the right days ( 30+ mph North and West winds and snowstorms) and the people never even know you are there. But you always have guys that see you there in the right day and go hunt there on days with no wind, or weekends and bring a lot of attention to themselves, and ruins the spot for when it's right to hunt there. Some guys do not care, if its legal screw it were hunting here all weekend.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Tony C » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Mr. Williams, thank you for taking the time to post the pictures of what you received. I may be a little computer challenged, but I only see one picture. I bet that the pamphlet you got from DU is the one that I heard about. I will contact them and see if I can get a copy. I don't have any specific questions, but there always seems to be some talk of what's legal, what's not and what's ethical/polite. Thank you guys for the help.
Tony C
hunter

Postby turf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:43 pm

The book from DU is only to help Id ducks, there is nothing in regards to ny laws. The green card is probably the best thing to help that's there
turf
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Again...what is it that you'd like clarified?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 am

I also noticed at the top of the NYS forum there is a link called NYS DEC that says "all you'll need to know about hunting, fishing etc.."
Maybe you'll find what you need there.. :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Tony,

Start HERE.

Starting on this page and following the links as necessary should tell you everything you need to know. There are even some pages that are .pdf files that you can download and print out as necessary.

After that, if you've got any questions, post back here and we'll get them answered for you.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby QuacksNHonks » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:59 pm

New to the site, so hello everyone. On page 50 of the NYS Hunting Regulations guide, there is a number to call to receive "A Pocket Reference for Police Officers and Waterfowl Hunters". This is in the paragraph under the picture of the woodcock. Hope this helps! One week to go here in the Western Zone, good luck to all!
QuacksNHonks
Newb

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 pm

QuacksNHonks wrote:New to the site, so hello everyone. On page 50 of the NYS Hunting Regulations guide, there is a number to call to receive "A Pocket Reference for Police Officers and Waterfowl Hunters". This is in the paragraph under the picture of the woodcock. Hope this helps! One week to go here in the Western Zone, good luck to all!

Hee hee......
he said "Wood Cock".........
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Tony C » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Thank you guys! I think you got me what I have been looking for. I will call that tomorrow. Thanks again.
Tony C
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting