Transformation to a duckboat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Transformation to a duckboat

Postby will1515 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:35 pm

I got this old Rich line 14ft Semi V right before summer and I have been working on it since to get it up to my standards. As you can see I have painted it from multi color to duck boat green using some parkers paint, re painted trailer and extended the bunks with carpet, got myself a 9.8 Mercury, build a floor, and just this past weekend I started to build the duck blind on it. I had a friend help me build it and design it. I like it a lot so far haven't used it yet. Any comments or ideas to add to the boat?
Attachments
1.jpg
How I bought the boat
1.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
jkhk.jpeg
New Floor
jjj;oi.jpeg
Frame of the Blind
kk.jpeg
Back of Blind
lhjkh.jpeg
Front of Blind
Last edited by will1515 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
will1515
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm


Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby grizz18 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Nice job on the paint/remodel.

Not sure how I feel about the pvc, but it works for you more power to ya. I'd say a little more grass cover and your good to go, maybe throw some netting over the stern of the boat?

Overall, congrats on the transformation.
User avatar
grizz18
Squatch Life
 
Posts: 13647
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:27 pm

I like the floors but if they are treated lumber, you really need to think about taking them out. The chemical they use to treat the wood pits aluminum and can eventually lead to holes.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:00 am

X2 awesome idea on the floors but looking at the picture it looks like its treated...
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:42 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am

Nice work.

grizz18 wrote:Not sure how I feel about the pvc

x2 - Looks like it's registered in MO so I know you get the cold stuff... Dont be surprised when your PVC snaps on a chilly morning. May work for a while, but conduit may be a better long-term option. Just my $0.02
User avatar
j.digiacomo
hunter
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: MD

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby will1515 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:06 am

The floor is made using wood that has all been pressure treated. That can lead to making holes in the boat? I guess the one thing I didn't research backfired. The PVC was the best idea we had to to attach the dram but later on I may change it up a little so I don't have to worry about possible PVC breaks. I plan on putting burlap with brush on the bow and stern of the boat when I go back home from college in a few weeks.
will1515
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am

You WILL have problems with the PVC the first time you lose your balance and try to catch yourself by grabbing it. Go with EMT, you won't be sorry.
Otherwise, the boat looks like it will do the job, even though it is not...and never will be...a true "duckboat".
(It's a utility boat with a camo paint job and a blind.)

Good job with what you have!
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby will1515 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 am

mudpack wrote:You WILL have problems with the PVC the first time you lose your balance and try to catch yourself by grabbing it. Go with EMT, you won't be sorry.
Otherwise, the boat looks like it will do the job, even though it is not...and never will be...a true "duckboat".
(It's a utility boat with a camo paint job and a blind.)

Good job with what you have!


I have extra emt so if I changed it to emt how would you go about attaching it to the boat?
will1515
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 am

will1515 wrote:I have extra emt so if I changed it to emt how would you go about attaching it to the boat?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clamps/=oy4u9e

or

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clamps/=oy4x8l

McMaster will have something that will work perfectly. They always do.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby DE-DuckNBass » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 am

I have a v boat very similar to your boat and used pvc to build my blind as well and used 4x5 grass sheets I have burlap blind material just in case its little unstable but not the worst I've been in I will say hopefully I won't have to use it much this year and will definitely go with a emt blind when I buy a different boat.
Can't Hit Ducks Club - Pro Staff
User avatar
DE-DuckNBass
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 am

will1515 wrote:The floor is made using wood that has all been pressure treated. That can lead to making holes in the boat? I guess the one thing I didn't research backfired.


Yup, sorry to rain on your parade. From the "American Construction Inspectors Association" web page:

ON JANUARY 1, 2004 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has banned the use of Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) as a preservative in treated lumber in residential and commercial construction. This was in an effort to reduce the use of arsenic and increase the safety level. Alkaline Copper Quanternany (ACQ) is a non-arsenic wood preservative that has become the treated lumber industry’s answer to this EPA requirement.

METAL’S REACTION TO ACQ
While effective as a wood preservative, ACQ pressuretreated lumber has an increased copper component. These chemicals are 5 times more corrosive to common steel according to American Wood Preservers Association (AWPA) test results.

Mill finish aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ treated lumber. Spacer materials or other physical barriers are recommended (i.e. rubber, felt, etc.) To prevent direct contact of ACQ pressure-treated wood and mill finish aluminum products. Anodizing improves resistance to deterioration.

Aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ treated lumber

https://www.acia.com/ACIA-News/Inspecto ... Field.html


To get the same preservation with non treated wood, you can either use epoxy resin which will need a surface coat of spar urethane as the resin lacks uv inhibitors, or you can just give the wood several coats of spar urethane. Hope this helps.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby will1515 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

T Man wrote:
will1515 wrote:The floor is made using wood that has all been pressure treated. That can lead to making holes in the boat? I guess the one thing I didn't research backfired.


Yup, sorry to rain on your parade. From the "American Construction Inspectors Association" web page:

ON JANUARY 1, 2004 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has banned the use of Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) as a preservative in treated lumber in residential and commercial construction. This was in an effort to reduce the use of arsenic and increase the safety level. Alkaline Copper Quanternany (ACQ) is a non-arsenic wood preservative that has become the treated lumber industry’s answer to this EPA requirement.

METAL’S REACTION TO ACQ
While effective as a wood preservative, ACQ pressuretreated lumber has an increased copper component. These chemicals are 5 times more corrosive to common steel according to American Wood Preservers Association (AWPA) test results.

Mill finish aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ treated lumber. Spacer materials or other physical barriers are recommended (i.e. rubber, felt, etc.) To prevent direct contact of ACQ pressure-treated wood and mill finish aluminum products. Anodizing improves resistance to deterioration.

Aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ treated lumber

https://www.acia.com/ACIA-News/Inspecto ... Field.html


To get the same preservation with non treated wood, you can either use epoxy resin which will need a surface coat of spar urethane as the resin lacks uv inhibitors, or you can just give the wood several coats of spar urethane. Hope this helps.


I used YellaWood and have been researching since I found out its possible for it to cause problems and from what I saw it looked like YellaWood is safe with aluminum products. Not sure if that's exactly right still been looking around and talking to some buddies.
will1515
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm

will1515 wrote:
T Man wrote:
will1515 wrote:The floor is made using wood that has all been pressure treated. That can lead to making holes in the boat? I guess the one thing I didn't research backfired.


Yup, sorry to rain on your parade. From the "American Construction Inspectors Association" web page:

ON JANUARY 1, 2004 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has banned the use of Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) as a preservative in treated lumber in residential and commercial construction. This was in an effort to reduce the use of arsenic and increase the safety level. Alkaline Copper Quanternany (ACQ) is a non-arsenic wood preservative that has become the treated lumber industry’s answer to this EPA requirement.

METAL’S REACTION TO ACQ
While effective as a wood preservative, ACQ pressuretreated lumber has an increased copper component. These chemicals are 5 times more corrosive to common steel according to American Wood Preservers Association (AWPA) test results.

Mill finish aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ treated lumber. Spacer materials or other physical barriers are recommended (i.e. rubber, felt, etc.) To prevent direct contact of ACQ pressure-treated wood and mill finish aluminum products. Anodizing improves resistance to deterioration.

Aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ treated lumber

https://www.acia.com/ACIA-News/Inspecto ... Field.html


To get the same preservation with non treated wood, you can either use epoxy resin which will need a surface coat of spar urethane as the resin lacks uv inhibitors, or you can just give the wood several coats of spar urethane. Hope this helps.


I used YellaWood and have been researching since I found out its possible for it to cause problems and from what I saw it looked like YellaWood is safe with aluminum products. Not sure if that's exactly right still been looking around and talking to some buddies.


According to Home Depot's site, you are right, the treatment process used with the Yellawood is safe for aluminum contact. I would still keep an eye on it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby ReelNutts8~ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Conduit with a double folding scissor is one of the best methods. You're gonna want to do something about your bow
I Love it when I buy a bag of air and the company is nice enough to put some chips in it.


Caution: This machine has no brain, use your own
ReelNutts8~
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:51 am

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby ODHA » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:44 am

That is a true duckboat , don't let mudpack tell you different. He feels you need a back hoodie on when hunting in it for it to be a true duck boat.
ODHA
hunter
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Dane County, WI

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:45 am

ODHA wrote:That is a true duckboat , don't let mudpack tell you different. He feels you need a back hoodie on when hunting in it for it to be a true duck boat.


Ladies and gentleman, the authority has spoken.


Just because I bass fish out of my boat doesn't mean its a bass boat.

Just because I crappie fish out of my boat doesn't make it a crappie boat.

Just because I duck hunt out of my boat doesn't make it a duck boat.

My boat, along with most of the rest of the boats on this site has been modified to do these things reasonably well considering the Hull was designed for a different purpose. There isn't anything wrong with it, it is just a statement of fact.

Op, get some grass on that bow it you're going to get busted by the birds.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby Take em boys » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 am

get a crack up every time I read "that's not a duck boat" give the kid a break looks damn good he built it up him self and is gonna duck hunt out of it so guess what its a duck boat lets go around and tell every one on public fourms that has spent a thousand bucks and a summer worth of building that it was a waste of time and money cause its not a real duck boat

To the OP looks awesome man and bet you will have a blast this winter!!

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:29 pm
Location: Santa Id

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:41 am

Take em boys wrote:get a crack up every time I read "that's not a duck boat" give the kid a break looks damn good he built it up him self and is gonna duck hunt out of it so guess what its a duck boat lets go around and tell every one on public fourms that has spent a thousand bucks and a summer worth of building that it was a waste of time and money cause its not a real duck boat

To the OP looks awesome man and bet you will have a blast this winter!!

Colton


Again, just because it isn't a duck boat doesn't mean that its not going to be a great boat to duck hunt out of. A bass boat is designed for a specific style of use, a crappie boat is designed for a specific style of use, and duck boat is designed for a specific style of use. A utility hull, which is what most boats on here are, are a jack of all trades and master of none. The op did a good job on it, no one is saying otherwise. I wasn't fond of using my 14' semi v to hunt out of, it just wasn't beamy enough to be stable, but it hauled a lot of dekes and people while I had it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby will1515 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:57 am

Finally got to use the set up two weeks ago for the north zone opener. It worked well and I was very happy with the turn out just looking to make a few improvements on how it's set up and I still need a way to stabilize it. Thanks for all the comment they are appreciated. I enjoy seeing what others thing and finding new and better ways to improve. Here are few pictures of it in action and finished up.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
will1515
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby t_baker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Nice duck boat. :thumbsup:
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby threedogs » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Ducks don't have boats, just sayin...........
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Mexizona

Re: Transformation to a duckboat

Postby will1515 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:40 am

After taking some of y'all's advice I ditched the PVC and used EMT and it is much stronger. Added a brace in the front that I will hang fast grass across.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 839 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 839 times
will1515
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm


Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JerkCord and 24 guests