Finally making the trip to Western MN

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Finally making the trip to Western MN

Postby kbooger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am

Around the LQP area. I usually hunt the north metro which has gotten crowded and over-hunted.

I've been out to the Fergus Falls area and done very good and just ok. We might also try to kick up some pheasants, but I don't think anyone we are hunting with has a dog. I'm debating on whether or not to even buy a stamp (or WIA validation).

What should I expect?
kbooger
hunter

Re: Finally making the trip to Western MN

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 am

Pheasant hunted LQP, west of Morris and towards of Ortonville last weekend. Not as many geese around as I have seen previous years but still a fair amount. There were plenty of ducks around and plenty on public land, lots of mallards and green wing teal. I would be pumped if I was heading out that way.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby kbooger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 am

Oh I am pumped :yes:

How was the pheasant hunting? Did you have a dog?
kbooger
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 am

Being that it is MEA weekend and all the kids have no school Thursday and Friday, expect it to be busy.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:15 am

kbooger wrote:Oh I am pumped :yes:

How was the pheasant hunting? Did you have a dog?

Pheasant hunting wasn't that bad. We had 5 guys and 5 dogs, but we didn't hunt all the dogs at the same time. We ended up with 2 birds but knocked down 2 others we couldn't find (my dog wasn't on the drive we lost 2, so that the excuse I made for us lol) but numbers were decent, we saw a fair amount of pheasants considering there were people EVERYWHERE and probably 95% of the crops were still up. It would be tough without a dog tho.

We actually got two teal while pheasant hunting off a pond. Shot one on the jump, and these dummy teal decided to circle back low and we got another one out of the group.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby BigJeff » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm

good luck. Our fist trip is in 2 weeks can't wait to get away from town. Can any one comment on the current on the back waters. Is there much water Movement or is bit still?
BigJeff
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 pm

My in-laws are right across the border in Milbank, SD. Got a ten day duck hunt coming up in a few weeks. Chase some pheasants while were at it. It's my third year doing it, and safe to say it's about as good as it gets. Look forward to it all year.

Can honestly say I've seen pheasants blot out the sun.

Unfortunately with the way ag is going, my kids will probably never be able to say that.

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:30 am

I've heard some reports of divers making there way down and the weather is looking cold enough to push some ducks down :biggrin:
kbooger
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm headed to the lac qui parle area tonight for the first time this year. Theres snow in the forecast.....trying to control myself. :grooving:
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Well we ended up with 42 ducks for 3 guys over 4 days.

Got a limit of redheads one day, the first day there were lots of GW teal. Shot all sorts of ducks - mallards, teal, redheads, shovelers, gadwall, widgeon, buffleheads, ringbills.

By far the best hunting I've ever seen. It was goofy though we would shoot a few right away in the morning and then wait for a while and shoot more, then wait for a while and shoot more. Ended up staying out until noon a few days. The geese were just starting to show up saw quite a few migrators. It was cold and rained most days. We went to the river on an afternoon where it was raining and 30 mph winds, it was scary especially after some motor trouble.
kbooger
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 pm

kbooger wrote:I've heard some reports of divers making there way down and the weather is looking cold enough to push some ducks down :biggrin:

I saw mainly divers this past weekend. Hopefully it was just the start.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting