Colder weather in the near forecast

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 am

Looking at a few different extended forecasts and it shows some colder temps and possible snow showers. Just hope all the rain systems move on before the colder stuff hits. One site showed lows in the upper teens in two weeks, hope that isn't true!

If you have plans for a late season trip, best be watching the weather and be prepared.

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Re: Colder weather in the near forecast

Postby tbossart » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 am

I would add that it is a muddy mess in the fields out here right now. If you are comming in this week, be prepared and have a good high lift jack and tow strap/rope. The roads were really getting crappy this weekend, even with sundays sun , and it has now rained for two more days solid. Be prepared to get muddy...but thats part of the fun!

On a serious note, do not go trashing the roads, in fact make every effort to not do so. No land owner likes dealing with big nasty ruts all over his section roads etc. Also, be aware of where you park, as in dont force a guy to drive his grain truck or combine out of your way...you stay out of his, even if it means you get ankle deep in the slop ya know? Harvest is shut down for now due to this rain, but they will jump back in soon as they can so dont be a pain for them please. Have FUN and good luck!
tbossart
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am

Field hunting will be really tough this weekend unless you have a good road along the field. Be smart out there, it's a sloppy mess.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby recker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Some of the forecast I have looked at show Northern parts of ND could freeze at least the smaller stuff next week. Could get interesting.
recker
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 am

I think the fat lady just got called up from the bullpen! 14 day forecast has overnight lows in the mid teens around the end of the month. Pending no snow and some decent winds, only the big water will be staying open, maybe.

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 am

Was out in the fields Friday thru Sunday, central ND regions So and East of James Town, rain/snow /sleet/ Friday, decent saturday but still just a muddy muck fest on the road, escpecially the min maintenance roads and section lines, and worse in the fields for sure, rained saturday night, and sunday until it started to snow/sleet again. Ducks and geese are bunching up into way bigger groups. We were seeing feeds of easily hundreds of ducks/geese both ...however they are int he soy bean stubble...which is impossible to hunt right now unless you have a hovercraft....I tried to walk into a soy bean field and first step sunk in to mid ankle. The good news is we were able to shoot some ducks in the wheat stublle AND the corn is starting to come down allover...the rain this weekend may stop some of that, but I think they are getting it out while they can where they can. Feels to me like the birds on are th emove South to North within the state...and I have heard out of canada and into ND as well.
tbossart
hunter

Postby qckaddct » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 am

We're headed out to hunt south central ND on Wednesday AM. Looks like we might be hitting it at the right time. Just hope some of those roads and fields dry out. We can't wait!
qckaddct
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:12 am

I'll be heading to devils lake Wednesday.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby slough » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 am

Just curious where you are seeing this forecast. The noaa forecast I see shows no lows below 28 thru Sunday the 27th for Bismarck.
slough
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 am

Yes same here.Image

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 am

I've been going from NOAA, The Weather Channel, and Accuweather. Accuweather has the longest of the extended forecasts at 15 days.

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am

Yeah I noticed Accuweather is forecasting much colder temps than are actually true when compared to other sources.

We'll be leaving this Friday, 10/25. Hopefully the fields will dry up and a lot of the corn will get harvested soon.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby grey duck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 am

Y'all are making a southern boy nervous. We aren't leaving until Nov 1.
grey duck
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 am

You guys should try going online and streaming the local weather stations. WDAY.com has a good site. I live here and I can tell you the big sites like NOAA and weather.com etc...always miss the mark. This week the weather is going to slowly warm up to lows in the low 30's and higs in the mid 40's ( supposed to maybe hit 50 on friday)...then its gona trend colder starting Sunday or so. We have yet to have a really hard freeze. Little ice on the smallest water in the mornings...but nothing that is of any concern at all. Due to the rain of last couple weeks...things are muddy and sloppy all over...but it has been decent the last 3 days so I would think everythings is slowly drying out.
tbossart
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 pm

tbossart wrote:You guys should try going online and streaming the local weather stations. WDAY.com has a good site. I live here and I can tell you the big sites like NOAA and weather.com etc...always miss the mark. This week the weather is going to slowly warm up to lows in the low 30's and higs in the mid 40's ( supposed to maybe hit 50 on friday)...then its gona trend colder starting Sunday or so. We have yet to have a really hard freeze. Little ice on the smallest water in the mornings...but nothing that is of any concern at all. Due to the rain of last couple weeks...things are muddy and sloppy all over...but it has been decent the last 3 days so I would think everythings is slowly drying out.

Thanks for that info, bud. It's nice to get it straight from a local. I have to be skeptical of the big weather sites due to the almost hourly change in reports.

You seeing any corn coming down this week since its been clear? Looked at the harvest reports and as of last Sunday only 14% had been harvested.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby huffduf41 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:52 am

How are the roads looking out there? I'm supposed to leave Saturday but concerned that the roads will be one huge mud run. I know the locals get pretty upset (rightfully so) when people drive down them when they're a mess.

Thanks!
huffduf41
Newb

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 am

huffduf41 wrote:How are the roads looking out there? I'm supposed to leave Saturday but concerned that the roads will be one huge mud run. I know the locals get pretty upset (rightfully so) when people drive down them when they're a mess.

Thanks!

Heading up there right now. I'll be able to let you know this afternoon.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby cwestly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:51 am

Leaving tonight from southern MN and hunting the Devils Lake area Friday-Tuesday. I'll try to post up some road/field conditions without giving away too much info.
cwestly
Newb

Postby tbossart » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:22 am

BKScripto wrote:
tbossart wrote:You guys should try going online and streaming the local weather stations. WDAY.com has a good site. I live here and I can tell you the big sites like NOAA and weather.com etc...always miss the mark. This week the weather is going to slowly warm up to lows in the low 30's and higs in the mid 40's ( supposed to maybe hit 50 on friday)...then its gona trend colder starting Sunday or so. We have yet to have a really hard freeze. Little ice on the smallest water in the mornings...but nothing that is of any concern at all. Due to the rain of last couple weeks...things are muddy and sloppy all over...but it has been decent the last 3 days so I would think everythings is slowly drying out.

Thanks for that info, bud. It's nice to get it straight from a local. I have to be skeptical of the big weather sites due to the almost hourly change in reports.

You seeing any corn coming down this week since its been clear? Looked at the harvest reports and as of last Sunday only 14% had been harvested.

When out this last weekend, it appeared they were trying to take corn out anywhere they could access the fields, but it rained friday night and then again saturday night right into mid Sunday morning where I was at...basically south of Jamestown. So, on the way home Sunday, we didnt see one combine in the field. Too wet. That being said, it has not rained since Sunday and i expect, since they are taking beets, that they can get at some more corn, but its behind for sure. Hell there are a lot of beans still up really.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting