Carson Valley Opening Weekend

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Carson Valley Opening Weekend

Postby fishonzac » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:34 am

This is the first weekend I have actually hunted the opener in the Carson Valley in about 10 years and what a change it was. With Stillwater being closed and the minimal water in Fallon the valley was busy. Yard Goose and I just opened a new automotive shop in Gardnerville (Stafford Automotive) we pretty much had zero time to scout out Yard Goose's ranches. I know, I know scouting is key but when you open a new business you show up before sun up and drive home in the dark. We decided to mainly target ducks on Saturday in a flooded pot hole field that has had water for the last few months. We setup a small duck spread and watched as vehicles and atv's criss crossed neighboring fields. Hopped in layouts 15 min prior to shoot time and it was on. I think we ended up with 10 or 12 ducks missed some easy shots and made some hard shots. Sunday was the Golden day for us. As the "Apache Gun Club" has one president and one member we owed a few people in the automotive network so we figured might as well take care of it now. Sunday we had 4 guys, 1 girl, a green dog and a junior. We knew 5 limits was going to be tough enough to fill unless everyone was on the same page. We setup in a head high ditch between a wheat and oat field surrounded on both sides by decoys. Shortly after shooting time the rain kicked in and the first group landed low and fast outside of the decoys. We figured hey just makes our spread a little bit bigger. In short order a group of 5 bombed in 20 yards off the deck and as they cleared the ditch we pulled and not one left to tell his buddies. The skunk was off and now it was time to focus on filling limits. A group of 2 came in, Jay was on my left and pulled first and I pulled right after assuming he would shoot the trailing bird and I would shoot the lead bird. After my brain registered Jay shot both geese with one shot it was too late and I had already pulled the trigger. That was one destroyed bird and pretty cool to see 2 geese in one shot it was a first for me. Everyone was on target and shooting straight and quickly stacked up our limit of geese and Yard Goose shot 5 mallards all to himself on dry land with 2 of those being incredible shots.
fishonzac
hunter

Re: Carson Valley Opening Weekend

Postby Yard Goose » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:03 pm

It was awesome.. Time for some more cherries... Love having my own Gun Club.. Qeustion is that am I the president or my wife????? :huh: That poor young pup doesn't know what to think of Geese.. Maybe we will try smaller birds next round.. Till the weekend Good Luck and Shoot Straight... :hi:
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby creationchris » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks for posting! was wondering how long it was going to take ya! oh yea, you know the answer to your question is your wife.
creationchris
hunter

Postby cshunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:33 pm

i wish i had somewhere like that to hunt! i got a brand new layout blind that ive never used, never killed a single goose and cant find any birds!
cshunter
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Yard goose how do I get into your gun club haha. You always seem to have all the birds. :bow:
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Chris, yes that was the answer to my question... :thumbsup:
cshunter...we do not use layout blinds... :fingerpt:
birdhunter3126 I guess you have to talk to the president about that one :huh:
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 am

Haha well if you and the president ever need an extra to join the hunt I would be more than grateful to tag along.
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby cshunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:39 am

i second that! what do you guys use for cover?
cshunter
hunter

Postby ChaseNCrooks » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Great job on the birds. Looks like you found the hot spot in gville area that day.
ChaseNCrooks
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Cover wise ditches that run threw the field.. Sometimes layouts.. But hard to hide dog..ChasenCrooks that's why I lease 4k of land each year.. Thanks for replies.. Lets killm..
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby crashmurray » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:23 am

Yeah if you guys are ever looking for another person I live in the minden area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
crashmurray
Newb

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting