Hello (again) and a boat question for New England

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Hello (again) and a boat question for New England

Postby McManusClan5 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi all,

Been a couple years since I've been active on the board (as Atlanticjunkie in the way back), but happy to be back - both in MA and hunting again (only got out a couple days last year - had to get the kids out! - but otherwise been swamped with the move and new job, etc. Usual BS excuses).

So, hello again! :biggrin:

Quick question. I love to fly fish the salt and also seaduckin'. I'm in the market for a new boat to serve double duty. Have 3 kids, one wife and two dogs, so I need a little room (won't all come hunting, but they'll all come on daytrips to sandbar picnic in summer, etc.). I run a 35' contender for deepwater fishing, but it's not a good layout for hunting or fly and comes out when the docks do (keep it in Plymouth).

I'm looking at 3 makers and a few possible models. The Tracker 1860; a DuckWater Ocean 18' or 19' or the Bay 18'; a Bankes 19'.

Basically want something I can singlehand, cast a fly line from and also a good set up for seaducking (or tucking in on big water for puddlers - wish there were fields around here to hunt, as I have all my field gear from OH!!!).

Anyone ever hunt or fish from any of these? Any suggestions about other boats that would work well in MA/New England? Should I post this in the boat forum instead (although this is kinda NE specific) or as well? :help:

Appreciate ANY thoughts you all have. I am just dying to get back out there this year!! Once I get set up, happy to have company... :biggrin:

Thanks,
Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Re: Hello (again) and a boat question for New England

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Welcome Back,

I have been in all 3 and would seriously look at the DW or Bankes for a do it all Boat. Both are becoming common along the coast for all seasons activities. Personally I like the new DW 25 with the semi V hull.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks Mike!

I hunted out of a DW boat last winter and think it was the 25'. Sweeeeet boat, but I'm wondering how easy it would be to fish singlehanded out of it. You think an 18' wouldn't be big enough for the 5 + 2 dogs?

We used to have a wooden 20' lobster skiff cc (a lumberyard special that I loved, but punked out over the years) that was never quite big enough for us all, but was perfect for solo fly fishing, but it was also not set up as well as the new rigs. I will say that the Ocean 23' on the DW site looks suh-weet.

Hmmmm...... I can see the Better Half getting less happy as I get more happy. :lol3:
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Matt you must have hunted with Jeremiah in his 25. :thumbsup: We have had that boat on some inland ponds as well and it hides well. As for a 1 person operation, IMO a Boat is a Boat ! Launching and recovering by yourself is a chore.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Captain Rielly McCue also has another 25 DW that is rigged out nicely for fly fishing! I saw him down in Chatham this summer. Sweet Boat.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am

MIKE J. wrote:Matt you must have hunted with Jeremiah in his 25. :thumbsup: We have had that boat on some inland ponds as well and it hides well. As for a 1 person operation, IMO a Boat is a Boat ! Launching and recovering by yourself is a chore.

I did indeed! It was the one day all season that I got to hunt (took my kids one other day), and it was an awesome day (wind, salt, snow, ice... and BIRDS!). It was just a flat out blast.

His 25 is a terrific boat, but it seemed just a bit bigger than what I might be looking for (launching, trailering - that's a big rig to get into and out of my driveway, etc.). That said, I've heard a bunch that I should look for one "size" up from what I think I want. Bigger is better, I guess?

Wish I could hunt and fish them all first (and that would be a helluva lot of fun, too!). You think the 18 or 21 would be too small? I know that's almost an impossible question, but what they hell. :wink:

Thanks again.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:49 am

Matt, the 21 :thumbsup:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby seaneen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 pm

I have the D.W 17, hunt 3 comfortable enough, any more its get crowded, I fish off the pods on the back prob not the best practice.

If you want to see it that's no prob,

seaneen
seaneen
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks seaneen! Much appreciate the offer. After having the family in a 20' skiff a number of times, I think the 17' would be too tight, though. Out of curiosity, how does it handle the chop? Is the 17' as bulletproof as the larger models?

Talked with Steve at DW last night and I'm leaning toward the 21' but still thinking on the 23'. After all, we HAVE added another dog and the kids aren't getting smaller... (I'm working on my script for the Better Half!). :smile:

Looks like there's no way to get on the skedj for this season, which isn't a surprise, so maybe I'll see some of you out there from a kayak this year. We'll see... Thanks again.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:56 pm

McManusClan5 wrote: (I'm working on my script for the Better Half!). :smile:

Matt

It's for the kids Matt, "For the kids" :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:23 am

Baymen Moe wrote:
McManusClan5 wrote: (I'm working on my script for the Better Half!). :smile:

Matt

It's for the kids Matt, "For the kids" :thumbsup:

Well, either you're a genius or I married a true keeper (or both). I actually used your line last night - was planning to then tell her where I got it - big laugh, ha ha, etc...

And she didn't bat an eye. Just said how it'd be nice to have a boat for all that! :eek: I guess I owe you one! :bow:

Keepah!

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:05 pm

My better half thinks the latest addition is just being stored here :biggrin: Told her a buddy moved into an apartment and needed a place to store the boat and that I can use it anytime I want...... :thumbsup: In time I will say I got a good deal. (which I did).

Congrats on the future new toy for the Kids Matt. :beer:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting