Anyone available for mid-week hunting?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Anyone available for mid-week hunting?

Postby fish'n'shoot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Looking for a hunting mentor/buddy

I am a 30 year-old family man. I got into duck hunting last season after inheriting my grandfather’s guns. I have since bought decoys/boat/gear and had a bad season. I chalked it up to not having a good blind, poor calling, low water levels and being a bad shot.

I spent summer shooting clays and making a blind for my boat. I’m an ok shot now, and have a good boat blind.

I have been out a number of times already, paid $$babysitters$$ to watch the kid and have yet to bag a bird! What am I doing wrong I realize there are good days and there are bad, but it seems like guys at the boat launch all seem to have better luck than me.

I am an avid fisherman, and I understand that there is a deep bond that sportsmen form with nature while in pursuit of game. I have not had “in-the-field” mentorship in duck hunting.

Is there anyone who has time during the week to come out with me and impart some wisdom? I have a flexible schedule during the week; I prefer not to hunt the weekend because I only have access to public land.

I am an honest and hard-working early riser. I would guard anyone’s hunting spot with my life and I promise to never hunt there without them.

I live in the Milwaukee area. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Re: Anyone available for mid-week hunting?

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:58 pm

I can't make it out with you but I can tell you if you keep hunting you will find success. Scout harder, go back in the woods farther, look in every pothole you can think of and learn to identify duck habitat. Scout using google maps to find the weed choked ponds off the beaten trail. Hunt every weekend of the season, don't stop when it gets cold. Kill wood ducks the first two weeks of the season, divers the second two weeks and mallards the last 4 weeks. Okay, breathe, don't think I missed anything. :beer:
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby fish'n'shoot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Whew - thanks for the pep-talk - I'm going for it!

I just feel like I'm missing the finesse that comes with growing-up in the sport. Things that can only be passed down with experience.
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Postby migrationstoppers » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 pm

hey bud I could probably try to help you in getting a little more familiarized with the world of waterfowl hunting and the many things that there are to kill waterfowl other then just being in right spot at right time I work mon-fri 7-4 usually but could hunt afternoons or days I have off I live in oconomowac so depending where you live not that far from Milwaukee . I am 25 but have been working for a well known waterfowl guide service for last 5 years guiding in 6 different states. Also I grew up waterfowl hunting my whole life if you would still like some help send me a email at migrationstopper@yahoo.com with contact info

Thanks Nick
migrationstoppers
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting