Gopro

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Gopro

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Have any of you or anyone you know ever used a Gopro while duck hunting?
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Re: Gopro

Postby kbooger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:55 pm

I have the hero3 black edition and I've also used the silver version. I use it with the headstrap mount. It takes really nice, clear video. But it doesn't have the normal picture window on the back so you can see what you're filming. There's an app that will but I haven't used it yet. Also haven't used the remote yet.

But the ducks at 25 yards look like they are at 40 yards when looking at the video. The battery life is also pretty bad, 1.5 hours is about what I get. So I bought 2 additional batteries since they life of the batteries is less than the memory card. I also went and bought a 64gb memory card.

I've only used it 3 times so I'm still thinking it is interesting. A good way to re-live your hunts w/o hiring a camera guy.

It would be good for pheasant hunting also. I might try mounting it closer to the decoys and see how that goes.
kbooger
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

we have a couple, battery life is not good as mentioned and ducks need to be within 30yds for it to look good but the video is great. its also much better on a tripod than a head mount. I find the head mount annoying to wear plus it shakes a little when your shooting.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 pm

im thinking of doing a tripod or a steak like for a mojo on the shore side of my decoys, nice and low angled up. the one im buying tomorrow has a remote so I figure ill let it run early then once it slows use the remote when I see them. mainly getting it for our trip to SD for field hunting mallards
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:50 am

I have used my gopro silver edition on opening weekend and a couple of times since then. I agree with the posts earlier the camera angle makes birds look like they are far away. I purchased a mount for my gun. It has a pretty cool view. What I do is I turn it on as the ducks are working and turn it off during the slow times to spare battery life. I like the idea of a separate tripod mount closer to the decoys. I might have to try that. I am currently gathering all the footage and hope to post a year end hunting video.
firefighter4231
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 am

have you played around with the different settings? like the 720 vs 1080 and stuff like the frames per second? I have heard that the 720 with the higher fps works well enough to run that over 1080 and that its better for slow motion stuff too.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:46 pm

I ran mine in 960 I believe and my buddy ran his in 1080, couldn't tell a difference. I think 720 also preserves some battery life. the new black edition is supposed to be better in low light conditions as well. if its cloudy out, ours are worthless for the first 15 min of legal
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:21 pm

We run ours in 1080 and they come out looking great. Slow motion still looks good with 1080. One tip is to not leave the gopro powered on while there is a lull in the action. If hunting geese you should be able to see them far enough away to turn the power on with the remote then start recording. If duck hunting its hard to see them coming from a ways off so leave gopro on. I sent you a PM with our last hunt that was made with a gopro. We have a couple more videos on youtube too all done with gopro's.
cn44
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 am

awesome thanks for the advise, I actually just sent you a pm in response because I didn't see this post yet, so feel free to disregard it. if I get some good vidoes in ill do the same as you and send any out to people that want to see it
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:28 am

You could try a different camera. I am looking for one with a narrower field of view, which normally makes the birds look closer. The smallest FOV I could find in a small camera is 61 degrees, in an older Replay 480. Their newer cameras are over 100 degrees. The video is not as sharp, but the POV is better , in my opinion. Click on image below. Shot in poor light conditions. The nice thing about the camera is that it is tiny, and can clip under the brim of your cap and you can place it right over your eye to give a decent view down the barrel.

This is a still shot taken from the video. I just like the perspective. I only had a chance to use it a couple of times before we froze out up here, so next year will be the experimenting time for it. This bird is close to 30 yds away, so perspective isn't too bad. The farthest decoy I have set up from the blind is 25 yds, and all the birds landed outside them, to give you an idea on distances.

A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby Mort » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Awesome video!
I want one!
Mort
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:01 pm

GoPro can shoot in narrow, medium, and wide field of view. I like to run narrow off my gun barrel and get nice video from that. Everything else I run wide angle on to catch as much as I can in there.
cn44
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:18 am

I use a GoPro 2 and record every minute I hunt from the head mount. I have five batteries and plenty of memory cards that I carry daily. I record in 720p 60FPS wide. I use a skeleton case with an external mic to pic up all the sounds (when it's not raining/snowing). Pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M0vk-VuUJ4
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby mutthunt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 am

KillerKowalski wrote:I use a GoPro 2 and record every minute I hunt from the head mount. I have five batteries and plenty of memory cards that I carry daily. I record in 720p 60FPS wide. I use a skeleton case with an external mic to pic up all the sounds (when it's not raining/snowing). Pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M0vk-VuUJ4

Nice videos! Looks like you could use a dog...I think I'd get winded chasing dead ducks downstream!
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 am

Thank you! You have no clue how hard it is and how fast you become at it. When the current is rolling we are too at times. The river already took an iPhone this year and about five spinners. I gave up my Lab for my lady. She's allergic.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby mutthunt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:36 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Thank you! You have no clue how hard it is and how fast you become at it. When the current is rolling we are too at times. The river already took an iPhone this year and about five spinners. I gave up my Lab for my lady. She's allergic.

Now THAT is true love. Impressive. I got my dog right before I got married so she didn't have a choice! To each their own :biggrin:
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:54 pm

I mounted the go pro on the back of a goose decoy behind the blind and was able to capture some good footage. The problem is ending up with a couple hours of footage to edit unless you get out the blind and start new videos during the hunt.
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.
2thepoint
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:39 pm

2thepoint wrote:I mounted the go pro on the back of a goose decoy behind the blind and was able to capture some good footage. The problem is ending up with a couple hours of footage to edit unless you get out the blind and start new videos during the hunt.

Buy a larger card.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby cn44 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:15 pm

2thepoint wrote:I mounted the go pro on the back of a goose decoy behind the blind and was able to capture some good footage. The problem is ending up with a couple hours of footage to edit unless you get out the blind and start new videos during the hunt.

Buy a remote or download the free app on your cell phone to turn it on and off..
cn44
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting