Duck calling lessons

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Duck calling lessons

Postby Mill pond » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Is their some one in the Richmond or west of Richmond that could give lessons on calling?
No joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Mill pond
hunter

Re: Duck calling lessons

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Some of the other VA guys (some are on here) tried to get something going this past summer but we couldn't generate enough interest. It would be fun to have a little get together and talk "fowl" as cut would say :yes: :yes:

We had planned on really focusing on calling with some decoy tactics sprinkled in.

I do know Trip Carraway (works in the waterfowl section at BPS) is familiar with a call. You could always approach him and ask questions.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Yea, good advice. T does know his way around a duck and goose call alike! :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm goin to the waterfowl workshop at bps on sat they said they are gonna go over some calling and to bring a call. Not sure how much in depth they are gonna go, but I could use some coaching myself.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Working in the waterfowl dept in bps is like saying you work in the lingerie dept at wal Mart.Good thing they have those extra tall doors so he can fit his head in there. :bow:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Is he that weirdo that walks around sporting shows blowing 52 note hail calls?
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby boondoggle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Removed due to personal attack
Last edited by callncut on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed due to personal attack
Sub gauges are good
boondoggle
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:53 pm

These are the kinds of posts these forums are for... I mean damn guys. Way to take an honest post from "hey anybody know how I can get better with a call so I don't F up someone's hunt" to giant d bag status. I'm sure all u guys doing the flaming are The God of ducks. Get over yourself. If u can do a better job at teaching than the guy they recommended then pick up the torch Girl Scouts. Sure the next post topic will be " some guy flared my birds bc he sucked with a duck call.... "

Some of you guys are a joke I swear...

Where do u work duck commando , I'm sure I could come up with some creative criticism as well.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:22 pm

dukcommander wrote:Working in the waterfowl dept in bps is like saying you work in the lingerie dept at wal Mart. :bow:

Got dang it where is the like button? that's funny...
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 pm

I just spit Dr Pepper all over my android.

Classic!

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:26 pm

lbhansford wrote:These are the kinds of posts these forums are for... I mean damn guys. Way to take an honest post from "hey anybody know how I can get better with a call so I don't F up someone's hunt" to giant d bag status. I'm sure all u guys doing the flaming are The God of ducks. Get over yourself. If u can do a better job at teaching than the guy they recommended then pick up the torch Girl Scouts. Sure the next post topic will be " some guy flared my birds bc he sucked with a duck call.... "

Where do u work duck commando , I'm sure I could come up with some creative criticism as well.

Is this part where I'm supposed to come back at you and we go on for a couple days in front of everybody?....no thanks :hi:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 am

lbhansford wrote:These are the kinds of posts these forums are for... I mean damn guys. Way to take an honest post from "hey anybody know how I can get better with a call so I don't F up someone's hunt" to giant d bag status. I'm sure all u guys doing the flaming are The God of ducks. Get over yourself. If u can do a better job at teaching than the guy they recommended then pick up the torch Girl Scouts. Sure the next post topic will be " some guy flared my birds bc he sucked with a duck call.... "

And you are just sitting at the ready to be the first to complain about others. Is their a duck hunters knights Templar club I don't know about that you are trying to join? Quit whining and trying to be mr high and mighty.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEeSTqgAP7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxYt14LwOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_tt_kCMuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7kd-SmZbk

There is a few videos to watch. You can also order a CD online to help with your calling. One of the best things you can do is to take your call with you everywhere. Driving is the best time to practice to avoid being killed by the wife. Good luck to you and wish you well.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am

What help did YOU offer there sport?

Get the Duck Commander "Art of Commanding Ducks". This predates Duck Dynasty by about fifteen years. I have it on....VHS...

Anyway, it's a really good approach to calling. He breaks down when and why each call should be used and he's right about his method.

See....that's helpful.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am

Mudgun wrote:

What help did YOU offer there sport?

Get the Duck Commander "Art of Commanding Ducks". This predates Duck Dynasty by about fifteen years. I have it on....VHS...

Anyway, it's a really good approach to calling. He breaks down when and why each call should be used and he's right about his method.

See....that's helpful.

I'll be the first to say i am no pro at duck calling but do alright with a call and get some birds to cup. If he wants to drive to yorktown, id be happy to teach him the bit i do know. Always willing to help someone out if i got the time, just the way i was raised.

Knights Templar? No just tired of all the hostility. I can understand if someone is cyberscouting and you want to flame them but a guy just wants to get better with a call. isnt that what a forum is supposed to be about... learning something from someone, making some new friends, and sharing the experiences you have with others in the same sport?

what are you even doing stirring up stuff on the VA forum Naggie? arent you south of the border doing donkey shows in exchange for hunts these days?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 am

Tired of the hotility? Quit adding to it. EVERYONE on this forum talks crap. Why is it that when some do people say they are being hostile and ruining the board, but others get a pass?

You going to ask your buddy Ichabod to quit posting in VA since he went to FL? As far as donkey shows, your mom is my best performer and earns some good money for me. I'll tell her you said hi.

NOVAggie
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:56 am

Whenever men congregate to talk, cuttin up is the order of the day. Always been that way. So I never understand it when folks get uptight on these forums about poking fun, teasing, etc. Its what happens the whole time on every hunt, every job site, everywhere! Grow a set! Dang.....

Btw, there are many inside jokes from way back when on the interweb duck talkin forums. That big fella who likes callin is one of em. I can tell ya he does walk the aisles of local stores wearin 20-30 calls around his neck, blowin mainstreet highballs. To each his own, I suppose...........
bay gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:16 am

NOVAggie wrote:Tired of the hotility? Quit adding to it. EVERYONE on this forum talks crap. Why is it that when some do people say they are being hostile and ruining the board, but others get a pass?

You going to ask your buddy Ichabod to quit posting in VA since he went to FL? As far as donkey shows, your mom is my best performer and earns some good money for me. I'll tell her you said hi.

mom jokes huh? and really bad ones at that... dude come on... u can do better than that.

Nah Ich is cool, think we all like him around here, you not so much.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am

And I see this one being locked down in 3,2,1...

Mill Pond, just keep up the practice on the call and watch some videos on youtube. Before you know it, you will develop your own method and style of calling. Practice, practice practice. Let us know how you are progressing.

And remember, sometimes when hunting in a crowded area or late in the season, the best call is no calling.
Good luck sir.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 am

nah wont get locked. Its ok to talk crap when you are in good with the mods

NOVAggie
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 am

NOVAggie wrote:nah wont get locked. Its ok to talk crap when you are in good with the mods

It's okay to defend yourself, not to throw the first punch.

Secondly you are mistaken everyone does not talk crap on this forum only a few select individuals.

Thirdly stop reporting posts that clearly do have a connection to the topic. They are not warranted reports.

You are one of the" high and mighty" types. Not sure where the claim to lb comes in.

The man had a valid point and most of us were thinking it, he just happened to post it.

The next off topic post in this thread will render it locked.

Cheers.
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:52 am

off topic