Tomorrow (16th). Who wants to hunt?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Tomorrow (16th). Who wants to hunt?

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm sitting here watching flock after flock of wood ducks pile into this little cat tail slough. Anyone up for a SW metro, in your face, kamikaze wood duck hunt first light? Plan will be to kick them out before light and shoot as they come back. I lost count somewhere around 100 ducks. Also hearing some teal in there, maybe a mallard or two as well. And I kicked a pheasant up sitting here watching ducks, and snipe are scooting by me as we speak.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Re: Tomorrow (16th). Who wants to hunt?

Postby girard » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:59 pm

how long you plan on being out?
girard
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm

goldfish wrote:I'm sitting here watching flock after flock of wood ducks pile into this little cat tail slough. Anyone up for a SW metro, in your face, kamikaze wood duck hunt first light? Plan will be to kick them out before light and shoot as they come back. I lost count somewhere around 100 ducks. Also hearing some teal in there, maybe a mallard or two as well. And I kicked a pheasant up sitting here watching ducks, and snipe are scooting by me as we speak.

sent from a phancy fone

Might consider waiting for an evening hunt if they return before sunset. A lot of times woodies will leave and not come back to a roost til evening. You might shoot yourself in the foot kicking them out early.

Either way, if its a small hole you probably won't get more than a hunt or two out of it. Good luck!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Not sure. Limit of Woodies is 3, so if/when I reach that I'm bugging out. Then might go chase pheasants after 9 somewhere. Trying to come up with a place to hunt after seeing as we just had the wind switch to from the north, and the skies are cloudy and rainy so I don't think the birds will be flying tonight, but the cooler weather has to have them restless.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Coot and cans will be moving
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 pm

if it was the NW side of this cities I would be interested but that's a bit of a drive from st cloud
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Ha, yes that is. Especially for 3 wood ducks.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 pm

beretta24 wrote:
goldfish wrote:I'm sitting here watching flock after flock of wood ducks pile into this little cat tail slough. Anyone up for a SW metro, in your face, kamikaze wood duck hunt first light? Plan will be to kick them out before light and shoot as they come back. I lost count somewhere around 100 ducks. Also hearing some teal in there, maybe a mallard or two as well. And I kicked a pheasant up sitting here watching ducks, and snipe are scooting by me as we speak.

sent from a phancy fone

Might consider waiting for an evening hunt if they return before sunset. A lot of times woodies will leave and not come back to a roost til evening. You might shoot yourself in the foot kicking them out early.

Either way, if its a small hole you probably won't get more than a hunt or two out of it. Good luck!

Didn't see this post.
I hunted this same slough last year and they came back, even after someone shot at them as I kicked them out (right at legal light, I got out a little late). As for tonight, there were 10 on the water at 6, and then about 6:30 (sunset was 6:29) they started piling in by 2s, 6s, and 12s. Don't think an evening hunt will be as productive for shooting, but you'd get a show.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:41 pm

goldfish wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

Didn't see this post.
I hunted this same slough last year and they came back, even after someone shot at them as I kicked them out (right at legal light, I got out a little late). As for tonight, there were 10 on the water at 6, and then about 6:30 (sunset was 6:29) they started piling in by 2s, 6s, and 12s. Don't think an evening hunt will be as productive for shooting, but you'd get a show.

sent from a phancy fone

Good luck, sounds like you've done your homework.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:24 pm

A free scouting report?! Online?! Gah if only I hadn't agreed to chase pheasants...will surely be an exercise in futility.

Good luck. Post pics!

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Yup. It's a cat tail slough in the SW metro. There is only like 400 of them, so it shouldn't take you that long to find it, lol.

The pheasant hunters were thick out there today though. That one surprised me.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 am

Good luck this morning Goldfish :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 am

I'm a little late waking up, but that should just give me light to see where I'm going out there. Planning on kicking them out anyways

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am

I always forget how friggin hard it is to blaze trails thru cat tails. Scratched out 2 Woodies and a teal. Should have had 2 teal tho.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 am

goldfish wrote:I always forget how friggin hard it is to blaze trails thru cat tails. Scratched out 2 Woodies and a teal. Should have had 2 teal tho.

sent from a phancy fone

Anything else flying out that way. I plan on hunting west metro this weekend....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Tough to tell because I tucked myself into the tails pretty good. I heard some shooting on the wma next to mine tho

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting