Snipe hunting!!!!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Snipe hunting!!!!

Postby Glades hunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Just curious who here goes snipe hunting. Season opens November 1st and I can't wait to walk out there and jump some birds.
Glades hunter
hunter

Re: Snipe hunting!!!!

Postby Coonrod » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I do, and I will come this Sat.
Not sure how many birds are around yet, but I'll have my fishing equip with me too.
Looking forward to it.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm

We have snipe all over up here and we have a season on them that runs right along with duck season. But I have never shot any, how are they to eat? Are they any good?

Sent while hiding from the boss
0321Tony
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:35 pm

I've had one (probably the same one) fly past the blind the last two times out. He's always about 15 minutes after shooting time so its still too dark to see him coming, all of a sudden there is a bird in front of the blind with a beak the size of a #2 pencil. (exaggerating a bit).

How do they taste? Might have to ready myself and pop him on friday.
BBK
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:36 am

Like dove, but a little better IMO.
Lighter in color and flavor, but just a bit.
I love em.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am

i got me a cali. limit(8) on sunday my buddy bagged 1 that was perdy funny. those eight birds took me 24 shells. my percentages were going quite well early on with a 4birds for 4shots and then the birds went nuts and well 20 shots later i managed my last 4 birds. oh and that buddy of mine who is a pretty good shot went two for 25 shots and that was a double but we could only find 1 bird. snipe are some of the best birds for eating. kind of like lobster-esk-ish.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 am

They look like a small bird from what I saw and have read. I hunted this weekend and there was hardly any activity out there. I saw two birds buzz my decoys and they were making this sound like " tee hee hee" but they looked like the size of a eurasian dove so I held off. Can anyone confirm that these were snipe from what I described?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 am

wanapasaki wrote:They look like a small bird from what I saw and have read. I hunted this weekend and there was hardly any activity out there. I saw two birds buzz my decoys and they were making this sound like " tee hee hee" but they looked like the size of a eurasian dove so I held off. Can anyone confirm that these were snipe from what I described?

Sounds like killdeer.
BBK
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 am

or sounds like dow twitchers. dow twitchers look very much like snipe size n shape but they are white n greyish while snipe are brown n kinda orangeish look alot like woodcock. if you like eating dove then you should love eating snipe.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11 pm

garlicsalt wrote:or sounds like dow twitchers. dow twitchers look very much like snipe size n shape but they are white n greyish while snipe are brown n kinda orangeish look alot like woodcock. if you like eating dove then you should love eating snipe.

Eventually I'll shoot one when I can be 100% positive on the ID. There are 100's of species of shorebird where I hunt, so snipe hunting may never happen :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:34 pm

wanapasaki wrote:They look like a small bird from what I saw and have read. I hunted this weekend and there was hardly any activity out there. I saw two birds buzz my decoys and they were making this sound like " tee hee hee" but they looked like the size of a eurasian dove so I held off. Can anyone confirm that these were snipe from what I described?

Sounds a little big, but that's subjective.
Usually when they're flushed or flying you
get kind of a "skreep" call.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Coonrod wrote:

Sounds a little big, but that's subjective.
Usually when they're flushed or flying you
get kind of a "skreep" call.

Thanks coonrod, imma study up on them a bit more before the next hunt I go on
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Sure thing. You hunting in FL?
Just noticed your CA location...
Coonrod
hunter

Postby Glades hunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388683987.155378.jpg
Glades hunter
hunter

Postby Glades hunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388684016.609083.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388684016.609083.jpg (92.62 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Glades hunter
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Something I've wanted to do for a long time as they are all over the salt marsh on the south shore of LI. But NY state say's no on long island. :huh:
KRB
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 am

One of my fondest memories from my North Dakota trips is shooting a limit 2 days in a row. IMO they are THE hardest bird to hit because they hold so tight. Shot a few here in Pa. over the years but noting like NoDak.............
don novicki
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Used to hunt them long ago. First time I snipe hunted, I bagged 3 birds with 66 shots. Lot of walking through mud. Fortunately for me I was using a .410, three boxes of shells fit in my pockets easy.. We would also get some Rails and woodcock, and I think the snipe taste like a woodcock, but less of it.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby badgreenbird » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm

That size & call could be either species of yellowlegs.. quite noisy birds but no longer a legal game species.

I love snipe hunting.. used to get lots back on the east coast.. but I'm too far north now to get any concentration. TONS of them everywhere in spring & summer, but they start heading south in August and the season opens in September. I've never got more than a couple a year, when I used to shoot 6-10 a day back east :sad:
badgreenbird
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:39 am

Glades hunter wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388684016.609083.jpg

Bro you shot a grip of some kind of shorebird.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:02 pm

My first season hunting on Fort Drum I tried to find Snipe... All I found was a Black Bear, a bunch of little tweety birds, and a metric ton of mosquitoes. The season is the same time as early Goose, so now that I've gotten myself into waterfowl I don't think I'll try again for Snipe unless I find someone that knows how to find them lol.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to Upland Game