How many decoys do you own?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: How many decoys do you own?

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I like those weights!
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:I like those weights!

You should Westie.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:55 am

I enjoy hunting over small spreads, so I have...

Ducks
6 F/A teal decoys
12 Cabelas Northern-flight mallards
1 Baby Mojo

Geese
12 bigfoots
I am not actually a conservation officer...
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 am

Geese
4 doz full bodies
6 doz silhouettes

Ducks
1 doz mallard full bodies
3-4 dozens bills, ringnecks, and cans
4 doz mallard floaters
3 doz or so pintail, widgeon, wood duck etc

A couple spinners
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chevyobsession » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:12 am

I feel like the nerd at gym right now. All my decoys are old and beat up. Most the ducks need a repaint.

4-G&H goose floaters(old style)

8-Suc-Goose decoys with changeable heads not sure which brand

19-mallards of various brands

23-bluebill and ringer Flambeau decoys

And finally one wind powered goose spinner I got for a quarter at a garage sale.
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby MJWebb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:24 pm

I hunt small ponds and potholes mostly so I only need a handful, my typical spread has 12 GHG prograde mallard, 12 hotbuys 6 GHG full body mallard and 6 prograde teal. All with my own custom texas rigs :biggrin:
Come visit Everharts Outdoor store in Clinton Mo!
MJWebb
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm

1 flamingo.
Last edited by Greenhead_Wrecker on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby Stubby_319 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:03 pm

oh ya know i got about a good solid 30 decoys.... I dont see the need to own so many, i shoot at 4 different kinds of ducks and 1 type of goose i dont need more that 30 decoys. I will probably end up with a couple hundred now that i said i dont need more than 30
If you are not sure, don't shoot. Stay safe my friends.
Stubby_319
hunter

Postby bluesclues » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 am

Currently own 2 dozen mallards and 2 dozen blue bills and 6 Canada goose floaters.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
bluesclues
hunter

Postby amen0037 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I own way too many, but for 1.50 a decoys off CL I cant go wrong. I have about 500 duck and about 175 goose decoys. I hunt big water with lots of pressure so safety in numbers helps me always bag birds.
amen0037
hunter

Postby jmill9 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 am

I just started hunting this year, little holes off of a river...

1 doz mallard decoys :oops:
I may be a redneck but I ain't a hilljack.
jmill9
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 am

How many decoys do I own? Let's just say that it's way more than my wife needs to know about! :grooving: :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:46 pm

one less now that one slipped under the tire of my truck! :crying: :huh: :lol: :lol3:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:58 pm

I really have no idea how many decoys I own at any given time, probably in the range of 1000 or more. I rarely hunt over more than two dozen decoys at a time, but try to have a complete rig of every species we hunt. My hope is at some point to have a 12 slot bag for each species we hunt rather than having to shuffle decoys in and out depending on the hunting situation we are dealing with. One area we hunt is primarily wigeons, mallards and teal, so we take 2 dozen decoys out in those species. Another area we hunt has no mallards, but quite a few wigeons, goldeneye, redheads, bufflehead and geese, so we have to add a bag of goose decoys and take our diver spread with combinations of coots and wigeons with the divers. We change our spread every time we hunt to keep the look different, sometimes we run 3 decoys, sometimes we will go all in with 3 dozen. I like to have options and avoid having a decoy spread that looks like everyone else. We try to focus on what we have available to hunt and design our decoy spread to fit what we are seeing.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:21 am

The best part of this question is making us think about how many we have try to count them.

I agree with Woodduck, I try to throw out a few of each species that frequent the area where we hunt, I'll bring 2 goose floaters, a dozen blacks, 1/2 dozen mallards, a few buffies and whistlers, and a few widgeon.

My count: (the ones I'll hunt, I have lots of others that are collectors or very old and tired)
Canada goose - 3, goose shells - 8, goose silhouettes - 100
Blacks - 26
Mallards - 15
Bufflehead - 8
Whistlers - 6
Widgeon - 6
Green wings - 33
Wood duck - 8
Sea gulls - 2
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:32 pm

5 Dozen standard mallard floaters, 2 dozen Flambeau Extreme mallards, 2 dozen Flambeau and G and H magnum mallards, 2 dozen GHG pintails , 1/2 dozen GHG black ducks, 2 dozen Higdon foam filled bluebills ,1 dozen GHG bluebills, 1 dozen GHG goldeneyes and Canvasbacks, 1/2 GHG buffleheads

Stupid to have that many decoys. Will never hunt over all of them at once. Nice to have back ups tho.
Geese

2 dozen goose shells. about 50-60 goose silhouettes, 3 dozen floaters of different brands (G&H, old Flambeau, Hard Core), and i have no clue how many snow goose socks i have.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby snc1100 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:22 am

I have no where near the count some of y'all have but the way my collection has grown is simply out with the old and in with the new. The only problem is out never really goes out. More like to the bottom of the pile. I have 1 doz g&h mallards 1/2 doz. g&h pintails 1/2 doz g&h gadwall 1/2 doz g&h woodies 1/2 doz flambou blacks 1 doz flambou mallards 1 doz flambou pintails 1 doz ghg green wings 1/2 doz ghg woodies 18 carry lite woodies 10 carry lite and flambou blue bills 2 carry lite mallard butts 2 carry lite pintail butts 1/2 doz g&h Canada floaters 2 carry lite Canada butts 1 doz flambou Canada shells 1 mojo mallard hen 1 mojo mallard drake a mojo teal and 2 mojo wind mallards. A few assorted found duck floaters.

So in a nutshell WAY more than I need... Or is it enough????? I'm sure the next time wing supply has a close out deal ill be saying not nearly enough.

Happy hunting guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snc1100
hunter

Postby draw2brother » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Hunting public areas on Illinois river there is a lot of compition. So larger spreads are normal. Between myself and a friend we run 1200-1500 duck decoys(mallards) and 3 dozen goose floaters. And they all get put out 2 weeks prior to season opener. And gradually get pulled once the shallow water starts getting skim ice. Its a chore especially since you have to transfer them over a levee to another boat. Our motto is you can never have enough decoys!!!!! :thumbsup:
draw2brother
hunter

Postby dysco » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I have a few dozen duck decoys, but I normally use 3-6 on the river, never more than 15 in a marsh on big days. Lighter to carry in and do the job well on birds flying the river. I'm in the middle of painting three new hot buys to goldeneye drakes, which are all I plan to carry for local decoying of goldeneyes and mallards.

Like others have said, it's nice to keep decoys around that are rigged differently for grab and go access. Some without weights for jerk strings, some with heavy weights for current, some with little weights and long lines for ponds.
dysco
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:54 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:one less now that one slipped under the tire of my truck! :crying: :huh: :lol: :lol3:

New name 2500hdonduckdecoy :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jmill9 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 am

Well, now I have 1 doz Dakota floater mallards, 1/2 doz higdon floater magnum mallards, 1/2 doz flambeau floater mallards, 1/2 doz higdon woodies, 2 ghg black duck hybrid floaters, 4 hardcore full Body resters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be a redneck but I ain't a hilljack.
jmill9
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 pm

koonce727 wrote:More than the wife knows.... If she brings it up I just have to remind her how much she spends on books.

15+doz mallards, few doz scrap ducks, 10+doz divers, 6 doz coots, 6 doz honker floaters, 5 doz fb geese, few doz fb ducks, ya know a little of this a little of that, its addicting

heres one area of storage

Yes it's addicting!
Just started really getting together a spread last fall, tho I had some shells the year before.
I am not going for numbers as much as motion. Lots of motion! Lots of visibility!
Flocking as well. Everything flocked as far as possible this year. The geese will be flocked heads and tails until Jill at Don Jer can get me an opaque flock to try on the full body/shell goose decoys.
She said she could get such a flock to experiment with this year, but I've too much on my plate with other decoy experimentation to even try until next winter after the season.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:21 am

4 doz blackheads various makes and sizes.
1 doz redhead g&h
1 doz cans g&h
1 doz Canada floaters. g&h
1 doz widgeon ghg
1 doz gadwall ghg
1 doz sprig ghg
1 doz mallard various makes and sizes
1 doz ringkneck ghg
1/2 doz teal ghg
1/2 doz black duck g&h
2 brant

usually hunt with most of it at the same time.

sold 180 decoys to make some room for some other stuff. kinda scaled back.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby hellfighter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:27 am

I have several thousand. 2 or 3...just accumulated over the years. Crazy thing is I bet 99 percent don't leak a drop
hellfighter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:36 pm

John Duck wrote:I own quite a few, but...use as few as possible in my rig

Pretty much my philosophy as well. I don't want to actually count them......
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum